Windows 10: For me: Worth it to update to the new Fall Ceator update?

Discus and support For me: Worth it to update to the new Fall Ceator update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The main use for my Windows 10 is heavy browsing the net (I use Firefox and Chrome - both well tweaked, but NOT Edge,) photography (image processing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by flycaster, Dec 6, 2017.

1. flycaster Win User

For me: Worth it to update to the new Fall Ceator update?

The main use for my Windows 10 is heavy browsing the net (I use Firefox and Chrome - both well tweaked, but NOT Edge,) photography (image processing with Faststone, Photoshop Elements 14, NIK Collection, image storage,) and email (Thunderbird.) I am not a gamer, nor do I have a touch screen or am I into virtual reality. I do have the Anniversary update, but wonder if I really need the FC update...that is, do I need the extra bloat if it appears that the update probably doesn't add anything to my computer use/performance. However, I also wonder if I don't install the new update, will that cause problems down the road when the next updates come out?

:)

flycaster, Dec 6, 2017

2. is it worth it to get the windows 7 phone just for the zune software

It really depends on what you want to do with a device. What kinds of applications would you like to use on a mobile device? Many of the applications rely on an internet connection to work properly - that could be via a data connection or a wifi connection.
    Many of the applications are "one-trick" ponies that (in my opinion) don't really add all that much value to my experience.

If your predominant use of a device is to listen to music, I'd say stick with a Zune - the Zune application on a windows phone does not provide the same level of functionality as that of a dedicated Zune HD device.

But if you want to do other things, like read books (via the Amazon Kindle software) or play xBox games, or view YouTube videos, or have access to your calendar, etc, etc, then a windows phone might be a better choice.

Prof Julie |
    Microsoft MVP Windows Phone
    |
    pocketprimer.com
    | twitter

Just got a new windows phone? Check out these blog articles:

Using the Outlook Hotmail Connector

Manage your tasks on a Windows Phone with Remember the Milk

Use Windows Live to handle tasks on a Windows Phone

Julie fka profjulie, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    is it worth it to get the windows 7 phone just for the zune software

Yeah, it's technically possible to buy a phone without a contract, but then you pay full ripo- retail price, which can easily go over $500 USD.

Entegy, Dec 6, 2017
  4. For me: Worth it to update to the new Fall Ceator update?

If you have Win 10 Pro you can use Group Policy to defer the upgrade for 365 days.

For me: Worth it to update to the new Fall Ceator update? [​IMG]

As far as CU's , they will still be available and if you want to upgrade you can just undo the GP Fix.

Josey Wales, Dec 6, 2017
  5. flycaster Win User
    Don't have Pro, but have been delaying install by selecting a 3 day delay before the next request to install.

flycaster, Dec 6, 2017
  6. You can defer it permanently by using wushowhide.diagcab tool.

muchomurka, Dec 6, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  8. flycaster Win User

flycaster, Dec 6, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey flycaster, *Smile

Since you have the Windows 10 Home edition, you would have to use Option 2 to manually set this in the registry.

It will basically delay the available feature or quality update by how many days you set before being installed.

Brink, Dec 6, 2017
  10. You just remove it if you are talking about an Upgrade . A Cumulative Update it is not necessary to do so.

Josey Wales, Dec 6, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    There is a sure way to get normal cumulative and security updates but refuse build upgrades without disabling services or using third party programs.

It is so simple that I am surprised it is never mentioned.

Answer: Simply install windows in a virtual hard drive on host PC.

This method makes use of the fact that Windows will not allow you to do build upgrades on vhds booted from host.

cereberus, Dec 6, 2017
  12. Then please inform me how I am getting them? Not using any third party stuff just Group Policy.

Josey Wales, Dec 6, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

@flycaster, so far none the answers have address the question of why you may want the FCU after all. They have concentrated on how you can postpone it in your 10 Home Anniversary Update (1607).

The reason you may want to update to FCU (1709) is that support for 1607 will end soon, provisionally March 2018. After that there will be no more cumulative updates for it (1511 and 1507 are already out of support).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

I use 1709 Home, and find it no more 'bloated' than previous versions. Plus Defender's protection has been enhanced in FCU.

What’s new in Windows Defender ATP Fall Creators Update

14. cereberus Win User
    I am just saying to everybody a way that you can avoid build upgrades but get all other updates.

It is only relevant if you install windows 10 in a virtual hard drive booted from host.

I am not talking about booting a vhd inside a virtual machine as that does update builds.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. For me: Worth it to update to the new Fall Ceator update? - Similar Threads - Worth update Fall

2. Is it worth risking an update for me?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it worth risking an update for me?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Pepefrogcheese [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6emh7/is_it_worth_risking_an_update_for_me/
  3. fall 2019 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fall 2019 update: fall 2019 update loads but does not update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fall-2019-update/9add115f-3ba2-422b-9d67-38f0e0b4eb51
  4. Months worth of updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Months worth of updates?: I just received a lenovo laptop from a friend, they stopped using the laptop about three years ago. It was running really slow and I realized it was 39 months behind on windows updates. I got it to 37 months and it runs much better but it took hours to update it to each one....
  5. Fall Ceator took out my computer which has lost all these.

Fall Ceator took out my computer which has lost all these.: Apps removed while resetting your PC App name Publisher Version abDocs Acer Incorporated 1.10.2002 abDocs Office AddIn Acer Incorporated 3.02.2001 abFiles Acer Incorporated 2.00.3009 abMusic Acer Incorporated 3.01.2003.6 abPhoto Acer Incorporated 4.00.2001.1 Acer Video Player...
  6. fall update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    fall update: I still didn't get the fall update has anybody else have the same problem thank you 30237
  7. Fall update query

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall update query: The update was no problem and everything works ok. But after the update there are 3 things which are not really causing problems but just annoying. 1. When booting the Defender Security Centre pops up. 2. There is a beep partway through booting. I have change sounds to...
  8. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  9. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  10. Fall Update

Fall Update: Hi guys. My desktop will not accept the Fall update. The automatic assistant keeps trying and falling over and I have made an ISO on my spare usb drive. No matter what I do it restarts and black screens with no cursor. I have followed so many workarounds and it always ends up...