Windows 10: for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

Discus and support for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; itS LIKE I PREsS THE CAPs lock key all the time and turn it on off. i Found how to fix with shift key but when i fix i cannot CliCk / ? .....How to fiX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kristine Wert, Apr 20, 2024.

1. for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

itS LIKE I PREsS THE CAPs lock key all the time and turn it on off. i Found how to fix with shift key but when i fix i cannot CliCk / ? .....How to fiX that ????

:)

Kristine Wert, Apr 20, 2024
  2. MiSt77 Win User

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Apr 20, 2024
  3. dalchina Win User
    CAPS LOCK sound warning not working

Hi, here are some ideas: see if one works for you. Keep a list of what you try. If no success, please post back listing what you've tried. Thanks. Tutorial (from -- the Tutorials section): Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 Caps Lock Has Lost Its Beep. (last post)
    for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how... 344639d1630246472t-caps-lock-sound-warning-not-working-1.jpg
    This is likely to be one of those where, as I don't know what you've already tried, I'll have spent time suggesting what you have tried. That's why I asked for a clear list of what you have tried. Do you see this when you toggle caps lock?
    for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how... 344641d1630247019t-caps-lock-sound-warning-not-working-1.png

dalchina, Apr 20, 2024
  4. for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

Macboatmaster, Apr 20, 2024
Thema:

for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

1. for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how... - Similar Threads - REAson capS LOCK

2. how to remove caps lock pop up overlay when caps lock is turned on and off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove caps lock pop up overlay when caps lock is turned on and off: how to remove caps lock pop up overlay when caps lock is turned on and off. checked all third party software and removed them issue did not go away....
  3. how to remove caps lock pop up overlay when caps lock is turned on and off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to remove caps lock pop up overlay when caps lock is turned on and off: how to remove caps lock pop up overlay when caps lock is turned on and off. checked all third party software and removed them issue did not go away....
  4. for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...: itS LIKE I PREsS THE CAPs lock key all the time and turn it on off. i Found how to fix with shift key but when i fix i cannot CliCk / ? .....How to fiX that ????...
  5. typing in all caps with caps lock off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    typing in all caps with caps lock off: This is really bizarre. The caps lock is on in one document only. This problem is not in my other Word documents. I tried pasting the information into a new doc and it stays on caps lock. I tried closing it and reopening it. I tried pasting it into a doc that is working...
  6. typing in all caps with caps lock off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing in all caps with caps lock off: This is really bizarre. The caps lock is on in one document only. This problem is not in my other Word documents. I tried pasting the information into a new doc and it stays on caps lock. I tried closing it and reopening it. I tried pasting it into a doc that is working...
  7. typing in all caps with caps lock off

8. for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...: itS LIKE I PREsS THE CAPs lock key all the time and turn it on off.i SEARCHED GOOGLE CANT FIND A solution and how to diSABLE THE KEY.I HAVE WINDOWs 10 pro.I alSO TRIED TO RUN THE KEYBAORDs troublesHOOTING BUT IT DIDNT FIND ANY PROBLEMs....
  9. for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...

for SOME REAson my capS LOCK KEY Is turning on/off automatic when i'm typing. any idea how...: itS LIKE I PREsS THE CAPs lock key all the time and turn it on off.i SEARCHED GOOGLE CANT FIND A solution and how to diSABLE THE KEY.I HAVE WINDOWs 10 pro.I alSO TRIED TO RUN THE KEYBAORDs troublesHOOTING BUT IT DIDNT FIND ANY PROBLEMs....
  10. Turning off sound for CAPS LOCK key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turning off sound for CAPS LOCK key: Before I throw my computer out the window can someone please tell me how I turn off keyboard sounds, in particular for the Caps Lock key. I have followed instructions here but they don't match up with my version of W10. I've included a screenshot of the screen I do have. What...