Windows 10: For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate?

Discus and support For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi. I've come across some articles that suggests to disable System Restore if you want better SSD performance. The articles are dated to 2013.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gil, Feb 26, 2016.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate?

Hi.

I've come across some articles that suggests to disable System Restore if you want better SSD performance.
    The articles are dated to 2013.

True that if one disables System Restore, then an alternate backup software is needed. Yet, I'm wondering if this is something which you recommend if looking for improving SSD performance (exclude the risk of not having a backup)?

The other bit is, though SSD are faster for boot time, with Win10 it takes about 25 seconds from cold boot to be on desktop.
    In Win8/8.1, it took me 8 seconds with the same Intel 520 240GB SSD.
    With Hibernate enabled, the boot is faster than 25 seconds but not 8 seconds.
    What are your opinions?

Thanks *Smile

:)

2. Turn on system protection is off and greyed out and cannot create system restore Windows 10

Yes, the link does tell the reader how to enable System Restore but, in the Comments section, someone named
    Anon observed, "I now believe the threshold for System Restore being disabled [i.e., cannot be enabled] by default is having [Win10 installed on a drive that's] less than 256 GB in size."

Several of my colleagues report the same behavior.

In other words, System Restore on your computer is disabled by default and
    cannot
    be enabled because your SSD is too small. If Win10 were installed on a, e.g., 275 GB or larger SSD, System Restore should be enabled by default.

Did Microsoft intentionally set up Win10 this way? I dunno - but chances are they did.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 26, 2016
  3. J.DD Win User
    Why won't defragmentation go down to 0% fragmented like the other drives?

If system restore is enabled thats one reason, you cant defrag the folder.

Unless it's disabled, the % maybe lower

They're not SSD's are they. Because you don't defrag SSD's

If you use something like defraggler, it'll tell you what the file is / files are, that it's defragging

4. Cliff S New Member

Those tweaks have to do with saving space on an SSD as they are generally more expensive for their size(even though the prices are coming down). They have nothing to do with performance, ans the SSDs seek time is almost 0. They also save writes, which is also not important anymore, as the latest generation will probably out last your PC with normal day to day use.

To your second question,
    do you have a lot of periferals, USB's, 2nd internal drive and such? Is it the BIOS POST that takes long?
    or do you have a lot of startup programs? Is it the OS loading part of the boot?

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  5. GIL
    gil Win User
    RE Q1: please read here: System Restore and Your SSD | The SSD Review
    and here: The SSD Optimization Guide Ultimate Windows 8 (And Win7) Edition | The SSD Review

That's not the only place I found that says that.

RE Q2:
    My OS is part of UEFI startup
    The CSM is configured to boot UEFI first and the UEFI OS is set to Windows OS.

I currently have only Keyboard and Mouse connected, but also tested with Webcam and joystick connected. Same boot speeds.
    In my BIOS I setup to only partially load USB devices for faster boot times.

I do have 2nd internal HDD and 3rd Internal SSD and 4th External HDD for backup. I did disconnect the external HDD but it didn't improve boot times.

I keep startup programs and services to a minimum that is required by my daily use.

6. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok, type msconfig at your command prompt admin, then click on the BOOT tab, what do you have your Timeout set too?? Mine is set to 3 sec's *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 26, 2016
  7. GIL
    gil Win User
    mine is 3 as well as this is the lowest allowed minimum by Win10.

8. Cliff S New Member

Not true.

For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate? [​IMG]

You can set it to zero in advanced settings:

For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    1st article is old:
    Second one too

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  10. GIL
    gil Win User
    Thanks! I changed it now, but I don't have multi OS. Is this still valid? Shaving off 3 seconds?

I know they are old, I stated it in my OP.
    Yet, system recovery on win8/8.1 is not that different than win10. In addition my SSD is dated from mid 2012 (intel 520 series).

So my question remains... would you mind doing a test with system recovery enabled and run crystal DiskMark and then totally disable System Recovery and try benchmarking again?

*Smile

11. OldMike65 Win User
    Turning off System Protection is not going to change your boot up speed. But if you do, make sure you have a good image backup program installed, like Macrium Reflect Free.

OldMike65, Feb 26, 2016
  12. Clintlgm Win User
    Well, if you have a good back up routine with images of your C:\ and full drive Images, you won't need restore points or system restore. if you have an issue at least with Macrium Reflect it takes less time to restore an image than it take system Restore to restore to a restore point. Otherwise they only take up space and don't effect start up time

Clintlgm, Feb 26, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

No idea if it's still valid, but I have always had mine set to zero since Win7 & Win8.1. I have it on 10 because I'm using the Macrium Reflect boot option, which is the same as dual booting(WinPE environment).

I have always had system recovery turned on with my SSDs as it's needed for Volume Shadow Copy Service(Shadow Copy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    The only things that slow my boot time is my 2nd internal HDD as it is multi partitioned.
    I do use "Fast Startup"(Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums)

I don't have or use Crystal Benchmark, because, for me benchmarks mean nothing, sorry there.
    As an SSD seek time is zero the problem has to be something else. You have more than enough RAM and an i7,
    Have you tried clean booting? With you 3rd party AV turned off?

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  15. GIL
    gil Win User
    I think I need to explain again *Smile

The system recovery I mentioned was not for boot speed. This is general SSD performance. Having system recovery impedes performance from some reason. using ssd benchmark with and without system recovery may reveal that.

The other part was to do with boot speeds. I use the custom view already and measure it to be 25 seconds, while with windows 8 it was 8 seconds *Smile

Thema:

1. For SSD - Do you disable System Restore and Hibernate? - Similar Threads - SSD disable System

2. Hibernation on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernation on SSD: Is hibernation bad for ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hibernation-on-ssd/dc9830c5-9f92-4359-9a7f-19e43623a236
  3. Hibernation on SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernation on SSD: Is hibernation bad for ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hibernation-on-ssd/dc9830c5-9f92-4359-9a7f-19e43623a236
  4. Hibernation on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  6. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  7. System restore disabled 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System restore disabled 2004: After updating to 2004, system restore was disabled. 158986
  8. System Restore button disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore button disabled: I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 Home version on it, and I am trying to change the System Restore settings. However, the System Restore button is disable. What can I do to re-enable this?...
  9. System Restore and SSD?

System Restore and SSD?: Hey guys, I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default. I of course can turn it back on, but I wanted to get feedback on turning on System Restore on an solid state drive....
  10. Disable System Restore

Disable System Restore: Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should be using Command Line. 1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do. For 3rd step: net stop srservice sc config...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd disable or enable system resttore

2. turn off system restore for ssd

3. if you enable system restore the ssd will be defragmented