Windows 10: Force COM Port number change using Command line

Discus and support Force COM Port number change using Command line in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two USB devices that when plugged in must have COM ports 3 & 4 assigned, my question is how can I do this using a batch file? The two devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fugazi666, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Fugazi666 Win User

Force COM Port number change using Command line

I have two USB devices that when plugged in must have COM ports 3 & 4 assigned, my question is how can I do this using a batch file?

The two devices are a GEWA Transmitter (FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AI04WJT5A\0000) (needs to be COM3) and an ELDAT transmitter (USB\VID_155A&PID_1006\00005987) (needs to be on COM4)

Cheers

:)

Fugazi666, Apr 11, 2017
  2. stx2010 Win User

How do I delete the unused COM ports in Windows 10?

Hi again Mike,

Renaming the ports number is not a solution but was the way i worked around with this problem when i was getting out of COM ports .

In the advanced properties of the COM ports you can change the port number to a lower number that you know is not in use. Note that the ones that were associated with Bluetooth modules removed from the system, still appear as being in use. You will get a
    warning from the system when you choose those ones, but you can force the change and it will work fine.

Regarding the solution to this, i believe it is not hard to implement, because each Bluetooth device has a different hardware ID/MAC address. When you remove a device from the system, the COM ports associated with that ID could (and should) be automatically
    liberated. That´s my point of view Force COM Port number change using Command line :)

Regards,

Sérgio

stx2010, Apr 11, 2017
  3. I am trying to force the com port

I am connecting a series of bluetooth devices to a windows tablet. My problem is that the interfaces need the comport numbers which all change if the device is paired or repaired and are all different on each tablet. How can I force the com port and then
    hold it there if the device disconnects?

lizward1174, Apr 11, 2017
Thema:

Force COM Port number change using Command line

1. Force COM Port number change using Command line - Similar Threads - Force COM Port

2. COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  3. COM ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  4. Switching COM Ports using script

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switching COM Ports using script: Hallo,I am working on OEM. I use a windows image to install the devices. When the device is newly installed , the COM ports are interchanged. Is there a possibility to write a script to change the COM Port numbers according to memory range after the installation. I was...
  5. Adding Internet Port by command line

Adding Internet Port by command line: Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to add a printer using the add-printerport and add-printer commands. I can add my print server printers manually using the GUI, but I'm not able to do this by command line. If I run this command I can add a printer but with the wrong port...
  6. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  7. Finding com port number.

Finding com port number.: I have a very recently purchased HP LAPTOP-2B3H9B5S. Nov 2020. I am trying to find out how to find the com port settings. i have read the previous quotes from 2019. However they now appear not to be relevant. The latest advice says go to actions and go to previous software...
  8. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  9. changing com port designation

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing com port designation: I have a HP-Notebook that shows com ports 3, 4, 5. I am trying to connect to another device whos software only accepts com 1 or com 2. How can I change one of my 3 ports to a different com # ? Thanks...
  10. Remove com ports in use?

Remove com ports in use?: While installing a USB to RS232 ftdi cable I noticed that I have about 20 com ports that say "in use" but are not in fact being used by anything (at least I don't think so). Is there a way to clear those com ports so that they can be used by a new device? Obviously...