Windows 10: Force deletion of folders

Discus and support Force deletion of folders in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last week sometime, Windows 10 did an automatic update 64-bit Home Edition. I'm not sure how to find out the new version number but the update must've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by johne53, Aug 18, 2020.

1. johne53 Win User

Force deletion of folders

Last week sometime, Windows 10 did an automatic update 64-bit Home Edition. I'm not sure how to find out the new version number but the update must've been a big one because I've been left with a folder on my C:\ drive calledwindows.old which I'm guessing is the previous installation..

Unfortunately I can't seem to delete windows.old because certain folders keep telling me they can't be deleted until I obtain permission fromTrustedInstaller. This seems to happen for every sub-folder of WinSxS and several other folders too.

So how do I make TrustedInstaller give its permission? Or is there some other way to force the deletion of folders some PowerShell feature maybe??

:)

johne53, Aug 18, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Force deletion of folders :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Force deletion of folders :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 18, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Aug 18, 2020
  4. Force deletion of folders

Delete a file folder.

In such cases it is often possible to use this 3-step process:

1. Move the folder to C:\
    2. Reboot
    3. Delete the folder

Frederik Long, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

Force deletion of folders

1. Force deletion of folders - Similar Threads - Force deletion folders

2. Deleting a folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting a folder.: I can't delete a folder because a pop-up window says it is open in another program but I don't have any other programs open that I know of. Neither Dell nor Carbonite Support can remove this folder. Does anyone have a solution... or explanation? Thanks...
  3. Deleting a folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting a folder.: I can't delete a folder because a pop-up window says it is open in another program but I don't have any other programs open that I know of. Neither Dell nor Carbonite Support can remove this folder. Does anyone have a solution... or explanation? Thanks...
  4. How do I force to delete a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I force to delete a folder?: I have been trying to get rid of one of my folders in my laptop, but whenever I click delete it says "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in [directory]. Verify the item's location and try again." Can anyone please help me? submitted by /u/Van-DarkALBERT...
  5. Forcing a delete of files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Forcing a delete of files on Windows 10: Directory of G:\WD SmartWare.swstor\xxxxx\Volume.11e34c34.a3eb.11db.be55.806d6172696f\MySQL Datafiles 2020-05-16 02:41 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators . 2020-05-16 02:41 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators .. 2010-10-14 12:47 AM 18,874,368 ......
  6. How to force delete an IME?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force delete an IME?: Hello Microsoft, I am annoyed by an undeletable IME, the middle one is a third-party IME I am trying to get rid of. [ATTACH] It has been uninstalled and no longer listed on "Apps & features" [ATTACH] In the settings of Language, it also greys out made me unable to select...
  7. Folder deleted

Folder deleted: I accidentally clicked CTRL+Z and my picture folder was deleted. Any idea on how to recover it? It was just barely downloaded and I didn't even have a chance to back it up before the slip up. Any support is welcome!!...
  8. Forcing a delete on Windows 10

Forcing a delete on Windows 10: Hi, I have set up a new Windows 10 after a huge system crash. I used linux to recover my data. Since I did not want to copy Windows System files and similar I deleted them from Linux. They got moved to a .Trash folder. After a new install of Windows 10 I wanted to delete...
  9. Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions?: Hello, As often happens, I have an undeletable folder on my Windows 10 PC. I am logged in as me, the only user, an administrator, but, infuriatingly, when I recently updated Windows 10, Microsoft left a trail of junk lying around, including a folder called WindowsApps. I've...
  10. some tool or something for force deleting folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    some tool or something for force deleting folders: hi sometimes i get stuck with a error that it cant delete a folder because of too long filename or it says it's in use when infact it isn't is there some nice tool for this? 37682