Windows 10: Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever

Discus and support Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The Nvidia card has a display port to HDMI adapter, which I use to connect to the HDMI audio extractor which sends the HDMI on to the HDTV. But all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever

The Nvidia card has a display port to HDMI adapter, which I use to connect to the HDMI audio extractor which sends the HDMI on to the HDTV.

But all the sound it ever gets is stereo.
    I plug a fireTV stick into the HDMI splitter and I get 5.1 Dolby out of the sound coaxial port on both the splitter and the HDTV, so the hardware works.

It is pretty neat the Nvidia driver refuses to pass any 5.1 sound to the HDTV, that really is a wonderful thing! Since the Nvidia driver is sensing the HDTV cant play 5.1 on it's speakers it refuses to send anything but stereo, even though the HDTV can pass 5.1 dolby or LPCM out ots coax to the AV receiver.

If anyone knows of a working way to force or spoof Nvidia driver EDID monitoring please let me know.
    This here below did not work.
    Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

- - - Updated - - -

I did huge amount of google searching and may have found a solution on the nvidia forum. I will find out tomorrow and post back what happens. What Nvidia has done here is deliberate so it requires making a new driver inf file for the monitor that tells the nvidia driver it has a certain sound capability.

I could imagine anything from dumb and dumber for the reasons it does this, to marketing agreements and sales for new AV receivers and HDTV with ARC as another where the old hardware gets abandoned in the interest of forcing people to spend more money to get surround sound by making them but new equipment.

Another could be due to this big push for people to buy these small streaming devices versus using a traditional HTPC, which MS seems to be not too interested in anymore either with them abandoning WMC as evidence of that.
    And my small FIRETV stick works fine with DD 5.1 sound being outputted to the AV receiver, further evidence they want people to not be using HTPC anymore..

:)

sdowney717, Jan 12, 2020

2. Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever

The Nvidia card has a display port to HDMI adapter, which I use to connect to the HDMI audio extractor which sends the HDMI on to the HDTV.

But all the sound it ever gets is stereo.
    I plug a fireTV stick into the HDMI splitter and I get 5.1 Dolby out of the sound coaxial port on both the splitter and the HDTV, so the hardware works.

It is pretty neat the Nvidia driver refuses to pass any 5.1 sound to the HDTV, that really is a wonderful thing! Since the Nvidia driver is sensing the HDTV cant play 5.1 on it's speakers it refuses to send anything but stereo, even though the HDTV can pass 5.1 dolby or LPCM out ots coax to the AV receiver.

If anyone knows of a working way to force or spoof Nvidia driver EDID monitoring please let me know.
    This here below did not work.
    Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

- - - Updated - - -

I did huge amount of google searching and may have found a solution on the nvidia forum. I will find out tomorrow and post back what happens. What Nvidia has done here is deliberate so it requires making a new driver inf file for the monitor that tells the nvidia driver it has a certain sound capability.

I could imagine anything from dumb and dumber for the reasons it does this, to marketing agreements and sales for new AV receivers and HDTV with ARC as another where the old hardware gets abandoned in the interest of forcing people to spend more money to get surround sound by making them but new equipment.

Another could be due to this big push for people to buy these small streaming devices versus using a traditional HTPC, which MS seems to be not too interested in anymore either with them abandoning WMC as evidence of that.
    And my small FIRETV stick works fine with DD 5.1 sound being outputted to the AV receiver, further evidence they want people to not be using HTPC anymore..

sdowney717, Jan 12, 2020
  3. erocker Win User
    Why exactly is ATi considered be better at HDMI?

I plug my HDMI cable into the card, then into my TV. Those are the steps that I have to do. All the steps you list make absolutely no sense to me.

erocker, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever

Dolby Atmos

I checked this line:

5. Look for Dolby Atmos to make sure that it is properly installed.

and i have list with my two audio cards :

1. onboard - Realtek High Definition audio

and

2. dedicated Asus xonar DG audio device.

When selecting option 1. i have spatial sound dolby atmos option, but when selecting option 2, i have listed only "none" under spatial sound.

I can confirm that i had spatial sound on previous win10 build

For this part:

• From the Start menu, type in Device Manager, then Enter.
    • Then click the Sound, video and game controllers driver.
    • Look for Dolby Atmos, then right click on it, then click Unintall.
    • Once done, remove your Dolby Atmos device and restart you computer.
    i dont have dolby atmos under sound, video and game controllers

HrvojeReich, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever

1. Force HDMI to carry 5.1 Dolby or whatever - Similar Threads - Force HDMI carry

2. Connect 1 HDMI to 2 external systems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect 1 HDMI to 2 external systems: I'm sure this has probably been asked, but my search-fu is failing me.I have a laptop computer with one HDMI port on it. The external monitor that I'm currently using is on it's way out which isn't surprising, since it's an eMachines monitor and that brand was retired in...
  3. Dolby via HDMI ARC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dolby via HDMI ARC: Hi, this is my scenario: PC with nvidia 3080 AVR Denon X1500H TV 4k120hz My AVR doesn't support 4k120hz, so I connected the PC to the TV. TV and the AVR have both HDMI ARC, if I use internal TV Netflix app, i got audio 5.1 via ARC. How can I use a dolby audio from the PC...
  4. Tecknet 5 in 1 button software

Tecknet 5 in 1 button software: i dont know how to remove it as i cannot find it and it is affecting my gameplay greatly as i cannot use my side mouse buttons, so how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tecknet-5-in-1-button-software/032eca34-4a2b-4894-be4b-f1287071aa56
  5. Installing Dolby Access causes HDMI audio issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Dolby Access causes HDMI audio issues: I've got RTX 3090 FE, LG CX TV, and HW-Q80r. When I install Dolby Access all my audio outputs when selecting said HDMI have issues. Stereo and 5.1 options don't work at all. 7.1 pops in and out and Dolby Atmos will cut off when closing audio files or video files. I have eARC,...
  6. 2 HDMI ports only 1 works

2 HDMI ports only 1 works: Intel i7-9700F @ 3GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti I have one Monitor hooked up works fine and I'm attempting to hook up a 2nd monitor to the 2nd HDMI display port on the PC yet NOTHING happens. Both HDMI cables and Both Monitors work when using the initial...
  7. Whatever that is

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whatever that is: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/theoware [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6hgmn/whatever_that_is/
  8. S-1-5-18

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    S-1-5-18: This keeps populating after fresh start. Multiple administrators and appears to be multiple OS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/s-1-5-18/55087d33-da58-4357-a471-15b6c3754c25
  9. Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Force Intel HDMI Audio Output Possible ?: This post is to document yet another flow I observed in Intel Graphics Driver (any) in my laptops . My observation is that on connecting an HDMI cable , only international brands are detected to be HDMI audio capable devices and instantly start playing audio on those...
  10. When using HDMI, forced to lock screen

in Windows 10 Support
    When using HDMI, forced to lock screen: Hey guys. Recently updated to Windows 10, and I watch a lot of tv through my laptop by HDMI to my HDTV. Before with Windows 7, I NEVER had an issue like this. After somewhere around 15-20 minutes of the HDMI being plugged in and watching via my TV, the computer locks...