Windows 10: Force installation of Windows Updates on Shutdown

Discus and support Force installation of Windows Updates on Shutdown in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My brother has a Windows 10 machine that doesn't use very often, and when he does, he never updates. This results on piling up hundreds of updates,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MunchRegister, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Force installation of Windows Updates on Shutdown

My brother has a Windows 10 machine that doesn't use very often, and when he does, he never updates.

This results on piling up hundreds of updates, that when you go to download them and restart, then laptop literally becomes unusable.

How can I force a policy that will download all the updates while the machine is in uptime and then force the installation when he shuts down the system?

TIA.

submitted by /u/MunchRegister
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MunchRegister, Aug 31, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Aug 31, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 31, 2020
  4. jds21 Win User

Force installation of Windows Updates on Shutdown

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

Force installation of Windows Updates on Shutdown

1. Force installation of Windows Updates on Shutdown - Similar Threads - Force installation Updates

2. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 forced shutdown: When using the "Start", "Power", "Shut down" option Windows 10 shuts down.UNLESS there is an application running that expects a user response.Too many times I have used the above and left, thinking Windows will shut down. Only to come back in the morning and find out that...
  3. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 forced shutdown: When using the "Start", "Power", "Shut down" option Windows 10 shuts down.UNLESS there is an application running that expects a user response.Too many times I have used the above and left, thinking Windows will shut down. Only to come back in the morning and find out that...
  4. Windows 10 forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Forcing Windows 10 to Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Forcing Windows 10 to Shutdown: Does anyone know how to force the inactivity timer to actually work? The problem seems to be that VLC player is disabling it, but I really don't want it to. I want the PC to shut down after a certain inactivity timeout no matter what. Anyone know how? 175665
  6. Recover windows from Force Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Recover windows from Force Shutdown: What effect does forcing a windows shut down have? Second time in 3 days a force shut down has put my system in jeopardy and it refuses to boot. My laptop. Was trying to load some dlls and it went fine, but suddenly my system wasn't restarting, or even shut down. I couldn't...
  7. Force shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force shutdown: Hello Eversince I've been using Windows 10 I have been struggling with many bugs and blue screens. Ok well I'm used to it now. But the thing is, when the computer is stuck, I'm unable to force shutdown and force restart it. I need to wait for the battery to be depleted....
  8. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  9. How to force install upgrades on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to force install upgrades on shutdown?: Hello. I manage a lot of windows 10 devices (currently running 1809) and need to deploy the upgrade to 1904 version. I use WSUS to deploy the upgrade. After I approved the installation, I see that computers are downloading and installing the update, but in order to complete...
  10. Forced shutdown safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Forced shutdown safe?: Although not Windows 10 fault my machine got hung up accessing a misbehaving NAS network share. Unfortunately it couldn't resolve and I couldn't restarte explorer. I then tried a shutdown via Ctrl Alt delete but it just laboured on 'restarting' but didn't do it. I left it a...