Windows 10: Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU

Discus and support Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I set everything in the the Nvidia Control Panel to force the system to use my Nvidia Geforce 850M GPU, since I noticed that it wasn't ever switching.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Menendon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Menendon Win User

Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU

I set everything in the the Nvidia Control Panel to force the system to use my Nvidia Geforce 850M GPU, since I noticed that it wasn't ever switching. I also set it to display on the screen what GPU the Physx engine is using, and it always uses the onboard Intel GPU. I also checked my system information, and the Nvidia card is listed as a render-only card. From what I've googled, that means that it isn't being fully utilized. Does anyone have information on this? My games seem fairly slow compared to what a couple of sites have said my card should be able to handle. For example, Arkham Knight has to run on low graphics for my FPS to be decent and not lag. I know I'm on a laptop, but my system specs should be able to handle more.

:)

Menendon, Dec 25, 2015
  2. FJaviG Win User

Windows 10 + Nvidia = 1 fps

I am having this problema also with Kane & Lynch Dead Men. The game runs hella slow. In steam forums, the solution was to force the game to run with the Intel onboard GPU. You can do that in Nvidia control panel, under 3D configuration.

I can't test that because the option to set GPU doesn't appear in my PC.

FJaviG, Dec 25, 2015
  3. MS Tech Bench *.ISO for Win 10 will not accept product key

Jeff,

I truly appreciate you paying attention to my questions. I have now reached the place where I cannot update to Win 10 because my mobo has an onboard GPU chipset from Nvidia that Win 10 refuses to recognize and Nvidia refuses to accommodate. I also am not
    yet clear which Nvidia PCIe GPUs, Win 10 will agree to live with. Forcing a GPU at this point does not look attractive in view of the prospect that Win 10 can, in the future, force it updates. I have decided to wait a few months to see if the GPU issues sorts
    out.

January123, Dec 25, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

You need to go into the BIOS setup and disable the onboard graphics. While there check that BIOS is using the correct PCI-E socket.

swarfega, Dec 25, 2015
  5. Menendon Win User
    What PCI-E socket should it be using?

Menendon, Dec 25, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    The top-most one on the motherboard, should be pci-e 16x.

swarfega, Dec 25, 2015
  7. Menendon Win User
    I'll try to find that. I can't seem to find any resource that tells me where that is in the BIOS for my computer. I've checked a couple of times now, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Menendon, Dec 26, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

Is that one of the newer Notebooks that has 2 video adapters? I've seen them advertised but haven't had occasion to work with one yet.

Berton, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Menendon Win User
    I don't believe so. It's an HP Envy 17t, I bought it directly from HP just over a year ago.

Menendon, Dec 27, 2015
  10. bobjoe Win User
    Open Nvidia Control Panel and look under "Configure 3D Settings", and make sure that "High performance NVIDIA processor" is selected on the drop-down box.

bobjoe, Dec 27, 2015
  11. Menendon Win User
    I have already. Everywhere that I can change it to only use the Nvidia card, it's already been changed. But the PhysX visual indicator never stops saying "CPU". I'm assuming that means that it's the Intel integrated graphics??

Menendon, Dec 27, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    That would normally suggest to me that PhysX is being run in emulation on the CPU rather than in hardware on the nVidia GPU. (I don't know whether nVidia uses any hardware acceleration on Intel built-in GPUs, but I doubt it.)

What choices do you have for PhysX in the nVidia Control Panel? I have 3: auto, my GPU, and the CPU. (My desktop Intel CPU has no built-in graphics capability.)

bobkn, Dec 27, 2015
  13. bobjoe Win User

Forget PhysX.

Open Minecraft if you have it, then press F3. See if it shows your 850M. If it does, you're set to use the 850M.

bobjoe, Dec 27, 2015
  14. ViperGeek Win User
    I found these instructions to be very helpful:

Enable Hardware Acceleration In Chrome / Chromium Browser [Quick Tip] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

In summary:
    • Go to chrome://flags and Enable "Override software rendering list"
    • After restart, go to chrome://gpu and confirm GL_RENDERER is NVIDIA.
    • Optional: Browse to WebGL MAX parameters test to ensure WebGL agrees (Unmasked Renderer).

- Dave

ViperGeek, Jan 11, 2017
  15. Helmut Win User
    I don't think you understand how it works. Such Laptops use Optimus switching between the iGPU and Nvidia Graphics. You have a choice of one or the other by right clicking the Desktop Shortcut, the only other choice you have is to make one the default for that particular application/game.

This is also accessible from the Nvidia Control Panel.

Whilst there is a link to PhysX configution it is fixed on Auto-select. So when the Nvidia card is selected then the PhysX is, that is just part of the Nvidia driver, they like to give it a fancy name to impress.

The easiest thing to do to check things are working correctly is to install a standard test like 3DMark. I have been using this one in it's various iterations on Nvidia Graphics Cards for something like 15 years.
    You can then compare your performance with systems/Laptops with identical hardware i.e. the same CPU, iGPU and Nvidia M chipset, and indeed with other makes of Laptops with the same hardware.
    My Laptop falls exactly as expected within the bunch of results for the same hardware. There a high degree of confidence that it is running correctly as expected.

Individual games are a very different matter as you never know what screen resolution, detail settings are being used. No hope at all of a realistic comparison.

Helmut, Jan 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU - Similar Threads - Force Nvidia instead

2. Laptop, Cant switch between my intel gpu and nvidia gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop, Cant switch between my intel gpu and nvidia gpu: Ever since i got this new laptop the peformance didnt feel right. SO i checked what gpu was using as display, and it was the intergrated gpu. How do you switch the intel gpu to the nvidia gpu to main display. Ive tried disabling the intel gpu but it was replaced with a...
  3. Laptop, Cant switch between my intel gpu and nvidia gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop, Cant switch between my intel gpu and nvidia gpu: Ever since i got this new laptop the peformance didnt feel right. SO i checked what gpu was using as display, and it was the intergrated gpu. How do you switch the intel gpu to the nvidia gpu to main display. Ive tried disabling the intel gpu but it was replaced with a...
  4. Minecraft Not using more of NVIDIA GPU, only Intel GPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Minecraft Not using more of NVIDIA GPU, only Intel GPU: Hey. I recently played minecraft once. And i was surprised by the fact that i was getting low fps.I set the right GPU for it, and in the f3 screen it shows NVIDIA GTX 1650 only. But when i saw task manager, i saw something else. It was using the intel GPU. the graphs for...
  5. Using onboard Realitec Sound instead of GPU.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using onboard Realitec Sound instead of GPU.: Hi,I have an onboard 5.1 Asrock B83 Pro3 Realtek sound card with an PCIe Nvidia GPU. In the audio settings the onboard sound is not picked up and only refers to Nvidia HD Audio. Please assist in what drivers, software changes to install to get use the onboard sound card....
  6. Way to force display to run on laptop's NVIDIA GPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Way to force display to run on laptop's NVIDIA GPU?: Simply, is there a way to get Windows to run the integrated display off of the NVIDIA (or other added GPU) rather than the iGPU? Currently trying to get OBS to display capture without having to run it on the iGPU and consequently hammer its performance, and I am not seeing a...
  7. NVIDIA extends external monitor instead of GPU

NVIDIA extends external monitor instead of GPU: Hi Ms, I would be really happy if you can give me some tip how to solve such kind of issue as I am troubleshooting it more than 4 hours. It is about HP ZBook 15 G5. Until now I was working with the Intel graphic card while solving some things and not working with my 3D...
  8. Nvidia GPU but laptop also has INTEL GPU drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia GPU but laptop also has INTEL GPU drivers: New Dell laptop with Windows 10Pro. Laptop has an optional NVidia MX250 GPU. I installed that latest NV drivers. I also went into the Dell control manager system where it looked for updates for drivers. It updated A few drivers incl and update to BIOS but It also seemed to...
  9. Switching between discrete NVIDIA GPU and integrated Intel CPU/GPU (?)

Switching between discrete NVIDIA GPU and integrated Intel CPU/GPU (?): Virtual greetings. I recently upgraded my ancient Windows 7 computer to a new and very potent desktop Windows 10 PC. This new PC will be connected via HDMI to a 4K QLED TV as the display monitor. I wanted to use my new PC to watch commercial 4K Blu-ray movies (amongst...
  10. discrete GPU (nvidia) and itegrated GPU (intel)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    discrete GPU (nvidia) and itegrated GPU (intel): Hello, I have a bit of a problem... It refers to the GPU switching with the option of Running x application with intel or nvidia GPU. Once for example I choose the game running with the Nvidia graphic card after I look on task manager it still shows that application is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to set the nvidia card rather than the onboard one in bios

2. Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU

3. windows using onboard graphics instead of gpu

4. force pc to recognise graphics card instead of onboard graphics,
  5. windows using onboard instead of gpu amd