Windows 10: Force program to use one of two external GPUs?

Discus and support Force program to use one of two external GPUs? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone, My partner recently dismantled their desktop which left me inheriting a second gpu. I want specific programs to run on a specific card... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Snaptic77, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Force program to use one of two external GPUs?

Hey everyone,

My partner recently dismantled their desktop which left me inheriting a second gpu. I want specific programs to run on a specific card (gaming vs. productivity loads), but can't figure out how. Both cards are working, and show loads being applied in task manager. Both show up in device manager. I have the current drivers installed for both.

When I got into the Settings>Display>Graphics Settings>Graphics Performance Preference only one of my cards is listed as both the "Power Saving" and "High Performance" options. While this is technically correct based on the disparity between the cards, it's not what I want.

Is there any other way to use a specific GPU for a specific program?

submitted by /u/Snaptic77
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Snaptic77, Feb 7, 2021
  2. Zeond1987 Win User

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Zeond1987 Win User

Force program to use one of two external GPUs?

This is a desktop computer, not a laptop and the drivers are already updated. The 2 video cards I have are huge and would not fit in a laptop. I want to make a program run on either GPU and I was hoping that Microsoft could make it so that in the graphics
    settings, I could choose which video card I want to use. As this is not a laptop, it does not list both GPU's, only the default one (the 1080).

Zeond1987, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Force program to use one of two external GPUs?

1. Force program to use one of two external GPUs? - Similar Threads - Force program external

2. Would using 2 GPUs on one system be good for mining?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Would using 2 GPUs on one system be good for mining?: Hello, I was planning on buying another graphics card to use for my gaming rig however I wanted to see if I can put both in my system and use the old one for mining
  3. DXGI Bug related to two GPUs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DXGI Bug related to two GPUs: I have a two GPU setup, a desktop computer with both an AMD and an Nvidia card installed. If I have the display port plugged into the Nvidia card and run the DX12 application on the AMD, or vice versa. I get this error:ERROR: ID3D12CommandQueue::ExecuteCommandLists:...
  4. DXGI Bug related to two GPUs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DXGI Bug related to two GPUs: I have a two GPU setup, a desktop computer with both an AMD and an Nvidia card installed. If I have the display port plugged into the Nvidia card and run the DX12 application on the AMD, or vice versa. I get this error:ERROR: ID3D12CommandQueue::ExecuteCommandLists:...
  5. Two GPUs and two monitors, how does it work?

Two GPUs and two monitors, how does it work?: Hi, today I got myself a new computer. It has space for 1 more GPU, the current GPU doesn't have more than 1 HDMI port, so I was planning on connecting my secondary monitor (since I don't use it for anything else than a web browser and some streaming stuff) to another GPU. I...
  6. Two GPUs and two monitors, how does it work?

Two GPUs and two monitors, how does it work?: Hi, today I got myself a new computer. It has space for 1 more GPU, the current GPU doesn't have more than 1 HDMI port, so I was planning on connecting my secondary monitor (since I don't use it for anything else than a web browser and some streaming stuff) to another GPU. I...
  7. Using two external displays with a laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using two external displays with a laptop: I have a laptop with Windows 10 and Intel HD 4000 graphics card. Can I connect two external monitors and turn off my main laptop display, so I can extend the screens on the two external displays and not use the main laptop screen?....
  8. Two external monitors on one laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two external monitors on one laptop: Hi all! I am using my laptop for work and have been using an external monitor with it as well. I would like to add an additional. I have two ports, a VGA and an HDMI but windows will only allow me to output to one. Is there any way for me to "output" one screen but have my...
  9. Force One Program To Run Behind Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force One Program To Run Behind Another: I currently have Cortana set up to operate Kodi which works great, but after each command i have to tell it to close the window, it displays an error message and often displays in fullscreen, all of which is very clunky. I'm looking for a way to force Cortana to always run...
  10. Two GPUs driver problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two GPUs driver problem: So I'm coming with one more, however different, problem. I "repaired" (new Mobo) my PC. The differences with before are Mobo (F1A55-V in place of F1A55-M LX) and CPU (A8-3870K in place of Athlon II x4 641. Everything works fine, except GPUs. Or closer, the drivers......