Windows 10: Force search for updates before downloading?

Discus and support Force search for updates before downloading? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows Update set up to not download updates automatically. Sometimes there comes an update I don't want, so I use the tool provided by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SanyaIV, Jun 14, 2016.

1. SanyaIV Win User

Force search for updates before downloading?

Hi,

I have Windows Update set up to not download updates automatically. Sometimes there comes an update I don't want, so I use the tool provided by Microsoft to hide the update in question. The problem then is that the update is still listed in Windows Update until it searches for updates again, and the button has turned from "Search" to "Download" so if I click that then the update I hid would still be installed. So is there anyway I can force it to Search + Download instead of just Download?

Currently I need to wait for it to search automatically again which seems to take anywhere between an hour to a day.

:)

SanyaIV, Jun 14, 2016
  2. mrfurnes Win User

NoDo update corrupts People index - can no longer search

Phone: HTC Trophy

Operator: NetCom

When searching in "People" by name, none of the hits match my search criteria. The index must have been corrupted.This worked just fine right before the NoDo update. Is there a simple way of forcing a rebuild of the index? What to do?

mrfurnes, Jun 14, 2016
  3. SanyaIV Win User

Solved.

I made a scheduled task and then set it up to be allowed to run on demand and then added a hotkey to the scheduled task to me AutoHotKey script.

The relevant section of the scheduled task is Actions - Start a program: %systemroot%\system32\usoclient.exe StartScan (StartScan as an argument) And Settings - Allow task to be run on demand (enable) To launch it hidden you may set user account to SYSTEM which I did.

Edit: I've also tested this for the scenario I wanted it for. I got updates yesterday and used the file provided by Microsoft to hide one of them, I then used the hotkey to launch the scheduled task which in turn started a check for updates, after the check was done the hidden update was no longer present and the other updates weren't immediately downloaded and installed. I then clicked to download and install and the hidden update wasn't installed. So in other words a success. =)

SanyaIV, Jul 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Force search for updates before downloading? - Similar Threads - Force search updates

2. Login change forced on me by downloaded Microsoft update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login change forced on me by downloaded Microsoft update.: An update which was downloaded some time ago forced me to login to the laptop using my password for Microsoft Outlook instead of a local password which I had used for years before. What will happen after support is withdrawn? Will I be locked out or will I be able to return...
  3. Forcing Strict Safe Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forcing Strict Safe Search: I am wondering if you can force Microsoft Edge to be in Strict Safe Search. Is this possible and how do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forcing-strict-safe-search/092e7857-e34f-4ff6-b1c9-db6a53eb95a1
  4. Forcing Strict Safe Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forcing Strict Safe Search: I am wondering if you can force Microsoft Edge to be in Strict Safe Search. Is this possible and how do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forcing-strict-safe-search/092e7857-e34f-4ff6-b1c9-db6a53eb95a1
  5. MS Windows search not working as before and uninstalling an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Windows search not working as before and uninstalling an update: afted installing the windows updates, windows search went wrong.actually before updating windows during type in search box related files were shown in explorer, Now i have to type exat file name and hit enter to find a file. Before installing update if i know a few Letters of...
  6. When will 1909 be forced to download the Feature Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    When will 1909 be forced to download the Feature Update?: ..and which version will it get? Microsoft have said in the past that an optional Feature Update offered by Windows Update will only remain optional until at or near end of service for your current version. There has never been a clear statement of what 'near' means. To that...
  7. Bing forced in the browser search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bing forced in the browser search: Win10 Version 1903 Build 18362.720 Bing forced in the browser for me Chrome version 80.0.3987.163. i haven't found a way to prevent that although Google is entered as search engine, Bing does the search. I have to open the Google.com page every time I want to perform a...
  8. Forced download of Silverlight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forced download of Silverlight: Why did you force the download of Microsoft Silverlight? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forced-download-of-silverlight/4acdd693-a489-4ba8-83a6-e8e26103b39d
  9. Notify Before Downloading?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Notify Before Downloading?: Hi is there anyway of Making Win 10 notify you before downloading & installing updates? Appreciate any help Thx 47792
  10. Force Start Search to only search locally?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Force Start Search to only search locally?: Is there a way to stop the Search box in the Start menu from searching the Internet? If I want to do this, I'll use an internet browser thank you very much! I only use this when I want to open an obscure program, or open a file. 23856