Windows 10: force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file"

Discus and support force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The last update messed up some of my associations, by right-clicking on specific file types it asked which app I want to associate to it but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by temesin, Aug 26, 2017.

1. temesin Win User

force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file"

The last update messed up some of my associations, by right-clicking on specific file types it asked which app I want to associate to it but I associated a wrong application to a file type, ticked the check box and after realizing the mistake it took me several hours to figure out how to fix the bad association.
    It could have been much easier if I was able to make windows to show up that checkbox.

Is there any chance to force W10 to show up that checkbox with "always use this app to open .x files?

(Current version: Windows 10 Home 1607 14393.1593)

:)

temesin, Aug 26, 2017

2. "Always use this app to open .* files" checkbox on program selection dialog is by default checked

Whenever I open a file with no associated default programs, Windows will prompt me to select a program to open it. There is a checkbox setting the selected program as default program. However, the checkbox is by default checked, making it very easy to
    associate that extension with the program. But it really brings troubles, always. Sometimes I just want to take a peek at a .dat or .bin file with some program, associate them with a certain program does nothing good. To make things worse, Windows offers no
    trivial way to remove that associated program. I can only delete the registry or change for another default program. Is there any option in group policy or registry that makes the checkbox by default unchecked?

TokisakiYuzuru, Aug 26, 2017
  3. "Always use this app to open .* files" checkbox on program selection dialog is by default checked

Hi Tokisaki,

The Always use this app to open .*** files option is checked by default if your file does not have associated default program. We understand that you want it to be unchecked. However, this feature is currently not available in Windows 10.
    If there is a possible registry key that needs to be modified in order to have it, we don't recommend to do it because it might cause a lot of problems on your computer. Having said that, we suggest that you post a feedback in our Feedback Hub app. Our engineers
    and developers would be looking further into this concern once you posted your feedback.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support
    article
    and YouTube video.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

• Search for FeedbackHub in Cortanasearch, then launch the app.
    • Navigate to Feedbackin the left menu, then click on
      + Add new feedbac
      k.
    • Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    • Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking on
      Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form;
      Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    • Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click on Submit.
    • Click on Continue using Feedback Hub.
    • Click on My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    • Open the item you submitted, then click on Share.
    • Click on Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique
      link>
      ).

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Aug 26, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Right click again, choose 'Open with'►'Choose another app'►choose, check mark the box, click OK.

force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file" [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 26, 2017
  5. temesin Win User
    I've already tried that but the checkbox does not show up in any circumstances. I tried to restart etc. does not show up.
    Something like a one-way route...for me...no return *Sad

temesin, Aug 26, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    At "Choose another APP" menu there's next step "More APPs" from which you can choose any (compatible)program from it's folder.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file" - Similar Threads - force W10 show

2. Force File Explorer to Show App Window After Opening Files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force File Explorer to Show App Window After Opening Files: When I open an .mp3 in my File Explorer it opens up and then the music player app becomes dominant. But, once the app is open, if I return to the file explorer, and open up another .mp3, File Explorer is dominant, and Windows Media Player opens the file behind the File...
  3. W10 forcing me to use Microsoft Store to install printer app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 forcing me to use Microsoft Store to install printer app: I don't get it... I managed to install HP Smart app on one PC with W10 N LTSC 2019, but I can't seem to replicate the action (maybe I forgot some steps). I remember I simply connected the printer to the PC, added it manually to the system, selected the scanner and pressed...
  4. always use this app to open missing

always use this app to open missing: Hi guys, I tried so many workarounds and "fixes" but still it doesn't show app, on the settings(associate file type by app) I can't find my app. Any help? Thanks! windows 10 1909 submitted by /u/AnonPH009 [link] [comments]...
  5. Open With - missing 'Always use this app..'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open With - missing 'Always use this app..': Hi, I have two laptops running 1903 (18362.720), as you can see from my specs. The check box "Always use this app..." is missing on the one with the more recent clean install (about 2.5 years ago). And it's missing if I create and use another user account. It's present on...
  6. Open With - missing 'Always use this app..'

in Windows 10 Support
    Open With - missing 'Always use this app..': Hi, I have two laptops running 1903 (18362.720), as you can see from my specs. The check box "Always use this app..." is missing on the one with the more recent clean install (about 2.5 years ago). And it's missing if I create and use another user account. It's present on...
  7. How can I undo "Always use this app to open .cfg files" checkbox?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I undo "Always use this app to open .cfg files" checkbox?: Hi there, I have a problem. I did check "Always use this app to open .cfg files" and select Notepad. Now I want to take back what I did. I tried to reset however it didnt work. I dont want that always open my .cfg files with notepad. I just want to stay the way how it was...
  8. Undo "Always use this app to open .abc files"

Undo "Always use this app to open .abc files": Is there any way to undo a "Always use this app to open .abc files"? I have accidentally tries to open a .asd file with word, which is not possible. Now windows 10 gives the icon for word when a file is of the type .asd. I know this question is asked before, but it always...
  9. "Always use this app to open .xml files" not working

"Always use this app to open .xml files" not working: Every time when I receive an .xml file in Outlook and try to open it, it will prompt a dialog and ask me to choose an APP to open it. Even though I tick "Always use this app to open .xml files", the next time I open it, same thing happens. So can anyone help me fix it. Many...
  10. "Always use this app to open...files" not working.

"Always use this app to open...files" not working.: Default apps for ANY filetype is not working. I tried the following without success: - Right Click -> Open With -> "Always use this app to open...files" not working. - Right Click -> Properties -> Opens with -> Chose a .exe and nothing happens - Default App Settings ->...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file explorer always show checkbox selection

2. how to display the “open with” dialog box with the “always associate this program” checkbox unchecked by default

3. windows 10 always show checkbox