Windows 10: Force word to use default printer

Discus and support Force word to use default printer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi Community, I have had this problem since switching to Windows 10 years ago, and still cant figure this out and causes a great deal of frustration... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Buzzard_Carrion, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Force word to use default printer

Hi Community, I have had this problem since switching to Windows 10 years ago, and still cant figure this out and causes a great deal of frustration and wasted labels. One of my job functions is to print product labels to be adhered to containers. This is done on plain paper on a colour printer. We have several network printers in our office for various functions. My computer is the only one that has access to multiple printers. My default printer is set a black only printer. the box beside the setting "let windows manage my printers" is unchecked. My PC works in a remote desktop environment with our ERP system on a Server running "Server2012R2". Microsoft office2013 is installed locally on my PC. The printers I use have drivers installed locally on my PC as well as on the server. If I have a document open that is currently or has finished printing on the colour printer, any new document I open or create, or email I try to print if I don't switch it, windows will direct the document to the colour printer and not to my "default" printer. When I have a document open that has been printed on the colour printer, If I open an email with attachment and right click "quick print" it will send it to the colour printer. In the definitions and instructions in help it specifically says "quick print will automatically send document to default printer using default settings". I wish this was true.

By directing anything to anywhere but the default black printer, windows is still trying and successfully managing my printers even though I have set it not to. How do I change this behavior. Unfortunately I have wasted countless blank labels with printing that was supposed to go to a different printer.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I have created a video showing this behavior, I opened a new word document, switched printers to the colour label printer, then opened a second document and hit print and it chose the colour printer and not the default printer I clearly have set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIyrpUzjkxU

:)

Buzzard_Carrion, Mar 5, 2021

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Word Linked to OneNote

Hello Pete,

Let us set your printer as the default printer. Here are the steps:

• Search for Devices and Printers.
    • Right-click on your preferred printer and select Set as default printer.
    • Try printing the Word document and check if it will direct you to the default printer that you selected.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Force word to use default printer

Printer? Word says there is no printer installed, Printers are listed under Devices and my default is set

Hello Mel,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Printer. We will certainly help you.

It would be grate if you can reply to this question to assist you further:

• Does the issue only occur when you are using Word?
    • Have you tried printing any other document like PDF?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?

Meanwhile we suggest you to try the steps from the links below and check:

Fix printer problems

Fix printer

Let us know the result. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Force word to use default printer

1. Force word to use default printer - Similar Threads - Force word default

2. force printer use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    force printer use: is there a method to force Brothers Printers to use the windows 10 software, even if the PC is now using windows 11. All four printers are MFC-J805DW-XL and worked perfectly on Windows 10 but none work on the upgrade windows 11. error codes include: USB not connected when it...
  3. force printer use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    force printer use: is there a method to force Brothers Printers to use the windows 10 software, even if the PC is now using windows 11. All four printers are MFC-J805DW-XL and worked perfectly on Windows 10 but none work on the upgrade windows 11. error codes include: USB not connected when it...
  4. Default Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Printer: How do I make a certain printer the default printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-printer/8d906102-564e-40e9-969c-4f608bcb0622
  5. Word defaults

Word defaults: Can someone tell me how to change, permanently, the default font and size for Word in Office 2019? I refer specifically to the blank document that shows up whenever you start the program. I hate 11 point Calibri. Help. Please?...
  6. Default printer

Default printer: Why has my default printer disappeared in Control Panel Device and Printers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-printer/ed5219fa-0857-40de-81eb-4f66121336d2
  7. printer default

printer default: I have a Lenovo laptop. I'm trying to print and the settings are set to printer default offline. How do I change this to on? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-default/bb06e599-ac40-40da-9eb3-f7ef18ba8998
  8. Printer defaults issue when using two printers

Printer defaults issue when using two printers: Hello, Microsoft pros I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm experiencing a strange issue with printing, which goes way beyond my nearly-non-existent IT skills. I hope I will find someone who can understand where the problem lies, and what can I do to permanently fix...
  9. Printer defaults issue when using two printers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer defaults issue when using two printers: Hello, Microsoft pros I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm experiencing a strange issue with printing, which goes way beyond my nearly-non-existent IT skills. I hope I will find someone who can understand where the problem lies, and what can I do to permanently fix...
  10. printer default

printer default: undefault the printer It won't print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-default/d060e7f7-0537-4b26-9714-83bb57ce3d74