Windows 10: Forced driver installation not working after 2004 update

Discus and support Forced driver installation not working after 2004 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two devices that need forced driver installation in order to work. By forced I mean going to device manager, right clicking the device, clicking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IoannisLyrantonakis, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Forced driver installation not working after 2004 update

I have two devices that need forced driver installation in order to work. By forced I mean going to device manager, right clicking the device, clicking update driver and then search in my computer and choosing the driver from list. I mean the list that contains drivers already built in to windows, not any custom folder or any weird drivers. I do not click have disk or search in the following folder.

I had to do this after EVERY build update for these two devices because they both showed up as unknown after every build update. One is marvell yukon 88E8056 pci-e gigabit ethernet and the other is a no name xbox 360 receiver. It ALWAYS worked. Always. Without any exclamation marks or any error messages whatsoever. Only the yes or no warning message just before accepting this driver for this device. And then both my network and my xbox 360 wireless receiver worked perfectly.

But right after updating to 2004 this stopped working. What happens now is that the same warning appears when I chose the seemingly not compatible driver, I press yes, it reportssuccessful driver installation but the device remains unknown and the details say that that the driver files are missing. I tried restarting, disabling driver signature enforcement and installing in safe mode but none of the above worked.

I also tried the above method in a fresh 2004 installation on a different computer and the problem is the same.

Is there a way to restore this driver installation method back to working as it always did in ALL the previous builds?

:)

IoannisLyrantonakis, Sep 9, 2020

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Disable installation of Feature Update 2004

About 2 weeks ago, version 2004 showed up on the Updates list and automatically installed. Upon completion of the install, the computer was completely unusable: no application would load; those that started would hang and eventually (5 minutes) fail. To
    attempt to remove the update, I had to force a power off (mirrored drives really don't like that!) and then was finally able to use to Recovery under Updates to remove about 95% of the update. After the require restart and while checking what was or was not
    working, Updates (of course) reinstalled 2004. Repeat: Recovery and Remove 95% (95% of 95% = 90% Usable). Attempting to use MS questions area, the only suggestion was to Disable the Updates Service which, of course, means no further security or usability
    patches.

All of that overly long explanation is by way of saying: I have attempted the only other option given here for removing 2004. At the moment, the Update Service is Disabled (PS: if you leave it at Manual, it will eventually start up and 2004 will commence
    its installation). So, the question: is there ANY way to disable the attempt by Update Service to install version 2004? I don't mean "install and wait for a couple of patches", I mean permanent tell Windows to NOT attempt to install 2004? My computer works
    just fine without the feature updates and does not work AT ALL *with* the updates. Prior versions and other patches allow for the update to be Hidden and ignored; Feature Update 2004 will install if the service is running and there appears to be no way to
    abort/hide/ignore the update.

Any suggestions??

CLJohnson999, Sep 9, 2020
  4. Forced driver installation not working after 2004 update

Change of message on Windows Update as regards 2004

I would suggest reading the list of Known Issues.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...indows-10-2004

I was able to force install it in early June, and I tested it for a couple days before rolling back to 1909.

Microsoft apparently has now decided to block force installs.

OldNavyGuy, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

Forced driver installation not working after 2004 update

1. Forced driver installation not working after 2004 update - Similar Threads - Forced driver installation

2. Windows Update forcing driver install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update forcing driver install.: Hi all, I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 on my laptop, and Windows update is insistent on downloading firmware and driver updates, which I do not want. The laptop has issues with some of the latest drivers, so I would like to download the older versions of the drivers...
  3. Windows Update forcing driver install.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update forcing driver install.: Hi all, I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 on my laptop, and Windows update is insistent on downloading firmware and driver updates, which I do not want. The laptop has issues with some of the latest drivers, so I would like to download the older versions of the drivers...
  4. When to Force 2004 Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    When to Force 2004 Update?: I still have not been offered the 2004 update by Windows Update. When should I resort to Update Assistant to install this update. I looked at the ISO method of update but Update Assistant looks more user friendly. With the 2009 update coming in a month or so it seems like now...
  5. Keyboard driver keeps installing after Windows update 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard driver keeps installing after Windows update 2004: My keyboard on my laptop is water damaged and keeps pressing + key. As a workaround, I uninstall my keyboard driver or use a different incorrect driver for my keyboard. This way only my external keyboard works and I can actually work on my laptop. However, every time my...
  6. Block Forced Update to version 2004?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Block Forced Update to version 2004?: Hello All, I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1903, 64-bit. Windows Update used to show the update to 2004 as an optional update. I've never selected this update. A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly got a notification to restart my computer to complete the update. Would you know,...
  7. Search not working after the 2004 update

in Cortana
    Search not working after the 2004 update: I installed the 2004 update from the settings app, and having done that, the search option has simply stopped working. I tried resetting it with the PowerShell script, to no avail. The Windows troubleshooter and the sfc /scannow command cannot find any problems, but the...
  8. Kind of forced to take the 2004 update

Kind of forced to take the 2004 update: So i'm trying to completely wipe out my pc and reinstall windows 10 due to some excessive problems i've been having lately, i already have the files i wanna keep on another hard drive so that's not a problem, but when i tried downloading the media tool from Microsoft website,...
  9. Logitech F710 drivers won't work after 2004 update

Logitech F710 drivers won't work after 2004 update: [IMG] I have a Logitech F710 wireless gamepad that works both in DirectInput and XInput modes. For DirectInput it uses vendor's drivers and for XInput mode it uses default Xbox360 controller drivers that built in Windows. Since DInput not used in games anymore I simply...
  10. Windows Update Force install the old driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update Force install the old driver: well, first, i start with windows update in position auto update, then my driver vga auto update for amd, but, not update for newest driver but return to install the old driver, from amd 18.7.1 back to 17.7, anyone can give me solution? sorry for my bad english....