Windows 10: Forced Microsoft account on fresh install, problem with user folder name

Discus and support Forced Microsoft account on fresh install, problem with user folder name in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So when I have to create my account on a fresh install with my Microsoft account, it names my user folder something stupid. Can I rename the user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ebojager, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Forced Microsoft account on fresh install, problem with user folder name

So when I have to create my account on a fresh install with my Microsoft account, it names my user folder something stupid.

Can I rename the user folder afterwards without breaking things? This is on a Home version of Windows.

submitted by /u/Ebojager
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ebojager, Feb 21, 2020

2. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Feb 21, 2020
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 21, 2020
  4. Forced Microsoft account on fresh install, problem with user folder name

User Account folder name

Only like this you can change it. Isolved problem like this.Works 100% without deleting files

• Create a local account with the user name you wish.
    • Change account type to administrator (can skip if there is other administrator).
    • Remove original Microsoft linked account
    • Link local account to Microsoft account if you wish
    Local account creation is well hidden, here are step through Settings App :

Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users > Other users > Add someone else to this PC > The person I want to add doesn't have an email address > Add a user without Microsoft account

Armspecial, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

Forced Microsoft account on fresh install, problem with user folder name

1. Forced Microsoft account on fresh install, problem with user folder name - Similar Threads - Forced Microsoft account

2. Name problem in the Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Name problem in the Users folder: HelloI have Windows 11 and I have synced Windows with my Outlook account, the problem is that my name is not displayed correctly in the Users folder.I wanted to know how to change the name in the Users folder I found ways and methods, but none of them are official and have...
  3. Name problem in the Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Name problem in the Users folder: HelloI have Windows 11 and I have synced Windows with my Outlook account, the problem is that my name is not displayed correctly in the Users folder.I wanted to know how to change the name in the Users folder I found ways and methods, but none of them are official and have...
  4. Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name: I did a full reset on my pc and after it booted I made a user with my desired name. I then went to settings to log in to my Microsoft account I had been using before the reset and it changed my profile folder name C:\Users\my_user to the name I had before I had done the reset...
  5. Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name: I did a full reset on my pc and after it booted I made a user with my desired name. I then went to settings to log in to my Microsoft account I had been using before the reset and it changed my profile folder name C:\Users\my_user to the name I had before I had done the reset...
  6. Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Did I ruin this fresh install, by changing Users folder name?

Did I ruin this fresh install, by changing Users folder name?: I made a fresh install and used a Microsoft account.I then updated Windows, and started installing programs.At some point I found that in the C:\Users folder my username was the first 5 letters of my e-mail address, instead of my name. I assumed that it would take my actual...
  8. Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?: I just installed Windows 10 on a workstation on my network there are many computers on this internal network. Since this network is secure and I'm the only employee... the same username and password is used on all systems... mine. This makes it very simple to use the...
  9. USERS FOLDER Shows old name of Microsoft Account

USERS FOLDER Shows old name of Microsoft Account: I've checked everywhere, there was an old post relating to my problem but has been archived since 2012 ...I've tried everything it was suggested with no luck! I'm running win 10 Home with all recent updates, PC is running good no problem whatsoever other than old account that...
  10. user account folder name

user account folder name: When I set up my new computer it used part of my ms acct phone number for my user account folder name. How do I change this folder name to my first name or some other name?...