Windows 10: Forced restore Windows image after not properly ejecting drives

Discus and support Forced restore Windows image after not properly ejecting drives in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I need to restore Windows after not properly ejecting external USB drives before shutting down. Have had this issue a few times in the past... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, Sep 14, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Forced restore Windows image after not properly ejecting drives

I need to restore Windows after not properly ejecting external USB drives before shutting down.

Have had this issue a few times in the past already:before shutting down Windows 10, it is obvious that one needs to properly 'eject external drives' by rightclicking taskbar external drive button.

However, one may be in hurry or for whatever other reason simply forget to do so.
    Windows is then powered down with 'connected' external drives.
    This sometimes leads to the situation that Windows hangs at the 'Welcome' screen.

Rebooting 4, 5 times and waiting for minutes to see what will happen, all without success.
    Also rebooting with connected drives fails.

In the end there is no alternative but to restore the latest image and the rest that comes with it, like updating Windows and installing recent software. Quite frustrating.

Against my expectation, it seems that Windows itself, whilst shutting down, does not perform a proper eject-task. Neither warns me to take action before proceeding: after all, it detects the shut down is started and it detects running external drives.

Question:Whilst admitting that I paid attention to properly ejecting the drives (and confessing that it is my error only), I wonder whether there is any solution for this issue.

Thanks.

:)

tfwul, Sep 14, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

How to force-eject an external drive?

USB Safely Remove usually lists programs stopping the ejection (image in URL below). In some cases these are windows processes, and occasionally forced eject does not work.

I can't tell you what the problem is, I'm afraid.
    Make sure no file explorer windows are open accessing the device; could be some buffering.

USB Safely Remove Features
    but it doesn't seem to cover that.

I think you know about Quick Remove
    Quickly remove USB devices without using Safe Removal - CNET

There is this option:

Forced restore Windows image after not properly ejecting drives [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Please help me restore windows 10

raymond.bell, Sep 14, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Forced restore Windows image after not properly ejecting drives [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Forced restore Windows image after not properly ejecting drives - Similar Threads - Forced restore image

2. Force eject and normal eject not working Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Force eject and normal eject not working Windows 10: Today I placed a DVD in my DVD player and it wont eject i tried almost everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/force-eject-and-normal-eject-not-working-windows/2104158c-fbec-47ca-8c7c-6690aca7e48e
  3. Force eject and normal eject not working Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Force eject and normal eject not working Windows 10: Today I placed a DVD in my DVD player and it wont eject i tried almost everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/force-eject-and-normal-eject-not-working-windows/2104158c-fbec-47ca-8c7c-6690aca7e48e
  4. Force eject and normal eject not working Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External drives not ejecting properly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External drives not ejecting properly.: The title explains the point. I have a WD Elements external HDD (3TB), and in any windows 10 machine it refuses to eject properly. I don’t wanna just disconnect it without letting the drive spin down as a lot of important files and backups i have in it. In event viewer it...
  6. Applications Still Saving to C: Drive After Image Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Applications Still Saving to C: Drive After Image Restore: I am trying to download my OS to my SSD, and have all my files and applications save to my HDD. All the files, documents, pictures etc. all save to the D: drive, but the apps still save to the C: drive even after changing the paths. I feel like I have done everything under...
  7. Windows not working properly after system restore.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows not working properly after system restore.: So i updated my driver's last night. But I guess it wasn't fully updated and I shut it down. When I restart my laptop it said "can't sign into account" and I was in a temporary account. I saw a video in which a man system restores his account and I did the same from the safe...
  8. Repairing Windows Apps after Image Restore to Storage Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repairing Windows Apps after Image Restore to Storage Drive: Hello All Should resetting all apps that won't open after the restore be enough? Restored D drive Image to same size 1tb replacement D: drive, everything seems to work well, despite a few apps Like Ublock Origin, Netflix app, rest i think i repaired with app reset options...
  9. How to force-eject an external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to force-eject an external drive?: Switching from Mac to PC has in some regard been not difficult, but there are difficult moments A recurring problem with pretty much all my external drives is that I frequently can't eject them because "a program is using it. " This happens even if I close all running...
  10. External USB drive not properly ejected - now RAW fformat

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drive not properly ejected - now RAW fformat: I'm doing fabbo with Win10 /s Because of some annoyances - hopefully fixed in the RTM Version - my USB drives cannot be ejected safely from their controller in Win10. So I eject them with the hardware release mechanism from the external enclosure. Windows usually doesnt...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. apps for restoring drives after eject