Windows 10: Forced Windows update while typing in Word - lost everything

Discus and support Forced Windows update while typing in Word - lost everything in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build - 19041.746) and MS Office 365. I was typing a huge amount of data into an existing Word document. Phone... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Pinecone, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Pinecone Win User

Forced Windows update while typing in Word - lost everything

I have Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build - 19041.746) and MS Office 365.

I was typing a huge amount of data into an existing Word document. Phone rang and I left my desk and then got distracted by a few other things. When I returned to my computer 20 minutes later, there was a Windows update in progress! When it got done, my Word document was no longer open and all my recent work was gone. Nothing came up saying I had unsaved work and did I want to recover it, etc. It's just gone. Yes, I should've saved my work. Lesson learned. I had no idea Windows would just start spontaneously updating while I was away from my desk.

I've been looking in Documents for a recovery option but no luck. I tried to restore a previous version of the document, but nothing came up. This document is also password protected. Not sure if that's why I can't recover anything?

Is there ANY way to recover this unsaved data? *cry

:)

Pinecone, Jan 18, 2021

2. Lost typed words in Window 16.

I forgot to save a word file I was typing before updating the window. Then I lost what I have typed. How can I recover? Word 2016.

Mi Mi Kyaw, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Am360 Win User
    Suggestion on enhancement of typing Amharic words

To those who developed Amharic typing/keyboarding system. I have one comment/suggestion on it.

"Enter" or "Space" key is used frequently when Amharic words are typed. These keys help to select the right word from displayed options. To make Amharic typing fast and easy please enhance it to take the first choice when the user press any other key that
    is not listed as options. For example to type the word "ሚስጥር" here are the steps on the current Amharic typing system

1. pressing "m" and then "i" and then space/enter keys (to type ሚ)

2. pressing "s" and then space/enter keys (to type ስ)

3. pressing "t" and then "." and then space/enter keys (to type ጥ)

4. pressing "r" and then space/enter keys (to type ር)

I suggest to have a possibility not to use space/enter keys to write the same word ("ሚስጥር"). That means when I press "m" and then "i", I have two available options "ሚ" and "ሜ". space/enter key is used to type "ሚ" and "e" is used to type "ሜ". If the user
    type any other keys (other than "e" or space/enter), it will not write anything on the screen because it is out of the available options. What I am suggesting here is that - when the user types any key which is not in the available options, let it take the
    first option.

if you apply the above suggestion here will be the steps to type the word "ሚስጥር"

1. pressing "m" and then "i" (to type ሚ)

2. pressing "s" (to type ስ)

3. pressing "t" and then "." (to type ጥ)

4. pressing "r" (to type ር)

This will make typing Amharic words very easy and fast.

Am360, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Forced Windows update while typing in Word - lost everything

Lost Word documents

Hi LornaRadke,

Firs check your recycle bin folder probably you can find your lost file there. If not found there then try another way of searching your lost documents file by their name in the search box.

Still not found, then apply these manual steps: Open MS Word > click the File Tab > Click Manage Document >select Recover Unsaved Documents from the drop-down
    list > Check for your missing file in the dialog box >Open the recovered Word document > click the Save As button in the top banner.

Probably you will find your lost documents on this list.

Finally if not shows there then try the last alternative option i.e. third party free data recovery programs like Recuva, stellar data recovery free edition, recoverit, etc. These utility programs completely free and can help you to recover your lost
    files. You can try your luck. Thanks

SandraMcgray, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Forced Windows update while typing in Word - lost everything

1. Forced Windows update while typing in Word - lost everything - Similar Threads - Forced update while

2. Lost Files in Forced Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Files in Forced Update: Windows did a forced update overnight so when I got onto my computer in the morning it was all messed up. It placed me into a temporary account which I wasn't aware of and I couldn't find my files/folders. When I did find them buried in another path I moved them into what I...
  3. Lost typed words in Window 16.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost typed words in Window 16.: I forgot to save a word file I was typing before updating the window. Then I lost what I have typed. How can I recover? Word 2016. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-typed-words-in-window-16/8a8ce3a7-ad29-42d6-910e-d4743742c14d
  4. Edge Update and Everything Lost!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Edge Update and Everything Lost!: So I come in this morning and have an EDGE update. My desktop has been completely wiped out, my favorites are gone, my edge start page does not link to where I had it and all my passwords that are auto filled are gone. In addition, the mail button does not take me anywhere;...
  5. Everything lost after windows update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Everything lost after windows update.: Why do I lose all my downloads and favorites every time windows updates on my computer and it has done this 6 times in the last 2 months. My daughter's Mac is looking good right now....
  6. Lost everything due to yet another forced update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost everything due to yet another forced update.: Roughly 3 days after every update, whatever planned obsolescence program windows uses interferes with my graphics drivers and causes an irreversible black screen, requiring a restart. And over the last 6 years this has happened for every update, and only for updates. There is...
  7. windows 10 words missing while typing in keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 words missing while typing in keyboard: windows 10 words missing while typing in keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-words-missing-while-typing-in-keyboard/548c2249-d32a-4236-9c67-39fdbf5e3892
  8. lost types ltr that was made in word.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost types ltr that was made in word.: How do you recover lost typed letter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-types-ltr-that-was-made-in-word/ac2d74ad-abc5-4278-ac90-df547382938f"
  9. eradication of text/words while typing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    eradication of text/words while typing: how to eradicate words that I type below my sreen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/eradication-of-textwords-while-typing/c51934c5-2414-4a9d-9e13-f63cb4904c0e
  10. When typing, all of a sudden everything I typed is deleted and lost

in Windows 10 Support
    When typing, all of a sudden everything I typed is deleted and lost: I've had a new HP laptop with Windows 10 (I'm used to Windows 7). Sometimes while I'm typing an email or listing an item for sale on etsy etc, all my typing is deleted and lost - it seems to be some key I'm hitting. I've tied looking at keyboard setting, but these key button...