Windows 10: Forcing a program to open on the second monitor rather than the main

Discus and support Forcing a program to open on the second monitor rather than the main in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have my TV connected to HDMI and a small, old monitor connected to VGA on a Radeon 4600 video card. I have Kodi (multimedia player) set to open full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NavyLCDR, Aug 8, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Forcing a program to open on the second monitor rather than the main

I have my TV connected to HDMI and a small, old monitor connected to VGA on a Radeon 4600 video card. I have Kodi (multimedia player) set to open full screen when the default user account logs in and it does so on the main monitor which is my TV. I have the smaller, older monitor set up so I can still use the computer when someone is watching a movie on the TV. I have multi-monitor set to extend the desktop. But my problem is when I open a program it wants to default to opening on the main monitor and when I open a program from the second monitor, it opens behind Kodi on the main monitor (and I have to click and drag it over to the second monitor) - so I would like to switch the old VGA monitor to be the main monitor and the TV to be the second.

Is there a way I can force Kodi to open and stay on the second monitor once I make my TV the second monitor?

:)

NavyLCDR, Aug 8, 2015

2. Open any Programs on any Monitor I want?

I already know that. I'm talking about click a program on a monitor where I want to open at.

For example: If I click on Google Chrome on Main Monitor, it opens on Main Monitor. If I click on Google Chrome on Second Monitor, it opens on Second Monitor.

I want to do that what I give you an example.

The other method I also want to try is to tell Windows which monitor to open a program (besides dragging a program to a monitor). If I was playing a game in Fullscreen Mode on Main Monitor and I don't want Google Chrome or other programs to open on Main
    Monitor. I want a option to tell Windows to open a program on Second Monitor without being open on Main Monitor.

ABOhiccups, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Bakanisan Win User
    Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

I know this question was asked. But it was years ago and a lot have changed.

The question was answered in
    this post
    . But it doesn't have all the answer I need.

I want my programs to be opened in the monitor which the taskbar contains them resides on.

Sorry for my english but here's an example:

-I open chrome in monitor 2's taskbar, it stays there. But when I close it and re-open chrome in monitor 1's taskbar, I want it to be in monitor 1, not monitor 2.

Bakanisan, Aug 8, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

So I figured out how to make the old computer monitor the "main" display. Then I figured out that Kodi has a setting in the program to tell it to start on monitor #1 or #2. So Kodi is good to go. But if I specifically want a program to open on the TV that is not the main monitor, is there a way to do so?

NavyLCDR, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Only if the program in question has that feature like Kodi. Windows itself doesn't control on what monitor the application loads on. The application does that.

logicearth, Aug 8, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    A program other than Kodi? As logic said, the program has to have such a feature. Or, how about the Radeon card? How old is that, some of the older driver software used to have Profiles where you could assign a program to launch in a specific monitor. But it has been a long while since I have seen that.

nVida used to have a "Profile Manager" that did that too, it would add a button to the Explorer shell that could be set to open a specific program in a specific monitor, like if you have "profile A" set for the main display and "Profile B" set for the smaller one.

Is your HDTV set as the main monitor? You should switch so the HDTV is launching the main window. Or, check the Multiple Displays settings in the Radeon CCC, there may be a way to do it from there.

XweAponX, Aug 8, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The problem with having the HDTV set as the main monitor is that if someone wants to use the computer for other things while a movie is playing on the HDTV, whatever program the second user wants to run will, by default, open on the main monitor and if that is the HDTV it will open hidden behind the movie playing and all the second user will get is a taskbar icon for the new program they opened.

NavyLCDR, Aug 8, 2015
  8. luceric Win User

*really

luceric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Forcing a program to open on the second monitor rather than the main - Similar Threads - Forcing program open

2. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  3. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  4. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Turning second monitor in to main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning second monitor in to main: Hi so i got a problem so my monitor from my laptop broke so i want to use a second monitor no problems there but then i factory reseted it for my litle brother and now ma screen is black i can't use the main screen cuz it was broken so now i'm stuk with a black screen what do...
  6. Turning second monitor in to main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turning second monitor in to main: Hi so i got a problem so my monitor from my laptop broke so i want to use a second monitor no problems there but then i factory reseted it for my litle brother and now ma screen is black i can't use the main screen cuz it was broken so now i'm stuk with a black screen what do...
  7. Opening programs on the extended monitor but not the main monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening programs on the extended monitor but not the main monitor: Hi all,I had the Windows 10 . My setup is a laptop with an extra monitor which set as Extended Display.The screen of the laptop is main screenNormally , the programs should be opened in the main screen. But I realized that sometimes the programs were opening in the extended...
  8. Programs crash when opened on second monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Programs crash when opened on second monitor.: I'm running a Dual Monitor setup with the extended setting, and it works perfect except for one thing: any program that tries to start itself up on the second screen freezes and doesn't start up. I have no problems moving programs that are already opened around, and can...
  9. Second Monitor is first and first(main) Monitor is second.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second Monitor is first and first(main) Monitor is second.: I have looked pretty much all Day for an answer to my question, but havent been able to find one. So the thing is, I have two monitors and I have had them for a few years. My Main monitor has always been the second monitor for whatever reason but it have never been a problem...
  10. Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged: Few programs keep opening windows to unplugged monitor on Windows 10 I have checked Windows screen settings and nvidia settings and everything points to that i only have 1 monitor and only 1 monitor is displayed....