Windows 10: Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4

Discus and support Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; With the ongoing transition to IPv6 away from IPv4, I've been moving my home network over to native IPv6 - successfully for the most part (I run a full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ITGuyDave, Nov 24, 2018.

1. ITGuyDave Win User

Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4

With the ongoing transition to IPv6 away from IPv4, I've been moving my home network over to native IPv6 - successfully for the most part (I run a full dual-stack setup with /64 prefixes without issue to the Internet too).

However, I've noticed that with my two computers - one being a laptop, the other being a desktop - the laptop consistently works brilliantly with IPv6, whereas the desktop seems to use ONLY IPv4 on the Internet, and has no ability to fall-back to IPv6.

Laptop uses Wifi, Desktop uses Gigabit LAN (I don't have Wifi in the desktop) - both on the same subnet, so it's not a network issue. IPv6 connectivity works perfectly on both, as does name resolution using my local DNS server on the router that runs as both IPv4 and an IPv6 server - yet browsing the Internet on the desktop completely refuses to use IPv6 (Edge, Chrome, Firefox - all of them behave the same, so I'm pretty much certain it's a Windows 10 issue). Windows 10 Pro (1803 build 17134.407) on both.

Any thoughts on why there would be a difference in IPv6 behaviour? Is there any way to override this preference and force IPv6, with fallback to IPv4?

:)

ITGuyDave, Nov 24, 2018
  2. E for Excel, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4

Why is my Windows 10 computer preferring IPv4 over working IPv6?

As far as I know, by default, Windows prefers IPv6 over IPv4.

>In the Registry, under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters, neither EnableICSIPv6 nor DisabledComponents exist.
    If the registry entries do not exist, you can manually add them.

You can fix it using the tool provided by Microsoft, or, manually editing the registry entries.

Details steps you may reference KB 929852 - How to disable IPv6 or its components in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/how-to-disable-ipv6-or-its-components-in-windows

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Origami , Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4

1. Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4 - Similar Threads - Forcing prefer IPv6

2. ipv6 is not working but ipv4 is working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ipv6 is not working but ipv4 is working: I tried to check again and again but it is showing me this try running Windows Network Diagnostics.DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ipv6-is-not-working-but-ipv4-is-working/f677f505-fc5d-4967-a3c3-832a9021351f
  3. Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6: I have a dell 910 ran into a start PXE over ipv4 and stuck on start pxe over ipv6. I left my computer for a day and it still stuck on ipv6. I've tried some advice on youtube but i havent fixed the problem. Please help....
  4. Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6: I have a dell 910 ran into a start PXE over ipv4 and stuck on start pxe over ipv6. I left my computer for a day and it still stuck on ipv6. I've tried some advice on youtube but i havent fixed the problem. Please help....
  5. IPv6 connectivity is dropping but not IPv4

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IPv6 connectivity is dropping but not IPv4: I work with many open SSH sessions at least six using tmux. After a few hours, the sessions to IPv6 addresses are dropping. The ones to IPv4 are not. I am able to confirm that I have lost all IPv6 connectivity using the site https://test-ipv6.com/ Using ipConfig, I see...
  6. Ipv4/ipv6

Ipv4/ipv6: My Wifi was not working on my pc but it was every where else so I used the Network Reset feature which was reccomended to me by the trouble shoot guide and now there are loads of issues. First when i go to the wifi tab in the bottom right it doesn’t say anything except...
  7. ipv4/ipv6 disconnected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ipv4/ipv6 disconnected: i have a hp stream laptop and after a update it wont connect to any wireless network and i have tried everything, even factory reset. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ipv4ipv6-disconnected/fa296f44-81e8-443d-95c9-84380c06412a
  8. Windows 10 ....IPV4 and IPV6

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 ....IPV4 and IPV6: In Settings Network Windows 10 has IPV4/IPV6 defined as 192.168.0.11/24.... Does that mean IPV4 & IPV6 are using ports 11 thru 24? If so why are they defined this way?...
  9. IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN

IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN: Hello, I got a place with a small network, a workgroup environment, sharing files. They've worked fine for a long time, then all of a sudden 1 of the computers starts getting errors with the mapped network drive to the "server" computer. Over the past 8 or so months I've...
  10. IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?: Hi, I did a clean install of my Win10 Home about a week ago and it all turned out for the good. However, tonight while nosing around my Network Connections I notice I am connected to the Internet by Ethernet (Realtek PCle GBF Family Controller) which I thought I was since...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. force Windows 10 to use IPV4

2. windows 10 ipv4 ou ipv6 préféré

3. windows 10 force to use ipv4

4. Windows forcer ipv4 vs IPV6,
  5. windows ping prefers ipv6,
  6. prefer ipv4 windows 10 fixit,
  7. force ipv6 persistent windows 10,
  8. windows 10 set priority for ipv4 addressing over ipv6,
  9. fix it windows 10 prefer ipv4,
  10. prefer ipv6 over ipv4 windows 10,
  11. windows dns prefers ipv4,