Windows 10: Forgot path/file where Windows 10 Pro back up is

Discus and support Forgot path/file where Windows 10 Pro back up is in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HP Envy X360 laptop failed right before vacation and was repaired under warranty by HP. They wiped the hard drive during repair and are returning to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DClaf, Aug 20, 2019.

1. DClaf Win User

Forgot path/file where Windows 10 Pro back up is

My HP Envy X360 laptop failed right before vacation and was repaired under warranty by HP. They wiped the hard drive during repair and are returning to me today. As I had backed up the computer the day before it failed, I have a back up of all my files and programs somewhere on an external hard drive using the Windows 10 Pro back up tool. Now I have only two problems:

• I've never restored a computer from back up (I can find instructions online, I'm sure)
    • I don't remember the path to the back up file as I had saved it on my (failed) computer. I have a couple of external HDs and a 6TB Western Digital MyBook NAS. How does the Windows 10 Pro save a back up (ie name and file type)?
    Thank you!

:)

DClaf, Aug 20, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 20, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Forgot path/file where Windows 10 Pro back up is

Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Forgot path/file where Windows 10 Pro back up is

1. Forgot path/file where Windows 10 Pro back up is - Similar Threads - Forgot path file

2. Where will Windows 10 backed up desktop files go in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where will Windows 10 backed up desktop files go in Windows 11?: I have dozens of files on my Windows 10 desktop. Some are shortcuts, but many are Word and PDF documents. And I have many folders containing text documents and photos, etc. Where will these all go if I switch to Windows 11?...
  3. Where will Windows 10 backed up desktop files go in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where will Windows 10 backed up desktop files go in Windows 11?: I have dozens of files on my Windows 10 desktop. Some are shortcuts, but many are Word and PDF documents. And I have many folders containing text documents and photos, etc. Where will these all go if I switch to Windows 11?...
  4. Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.: Hello.This is a long story but I will summarize.Had a 3 year old laptop that was working fine. Got a notification from Intel SSD toolbox that the SSD was failing despite basically having no real wear. Intel support confirmed this. I stick the SSD in another Windows 10 pc to...
  5. Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.: Hello.This is a long story but I will summarize.Had a 3 year old laptop that was working fine. Got a notification from Intel SSD toolbox that the SSD was failing despite basically having no real wear. Intel support confirmed this. I stick the SSD in another Windows 10 pc to...
  6. Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. upgrade 10 pro path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade 10 pro path: I have SQ1 Surface Pro X with windows 10 pro. prior to upgrading SSD 256 to 512 windows update said I could upgrade to windows 11. After installing new SSD, reinstalling Windows 10 pro it is saying passed the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program for Windows 11 but no longer...
  8. Reinstalled Windows 10 a while back and forgot where it put my files.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalled Windows 10 a while back and forgot where it put my files.: I'm an idiot! submitted by /u/AdeptBerry [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j7cfly/reinstalled_windows_10_a_while_back_and_forgot/
  9. Back up files on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up files on Windows 10?: Hello, I would like/must reinstall my laptop. Therefore I want to backup my data. What is the best way to do this, so that I can easily move the data back to the newly installed device. Other question: How can I backup programs so that I can continue to use them after...
  10. where to back up jigsaw puzzle

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    where to back up jigsaw puzzle: i have recently got a copy from my windows.old but i ran into one thing it did not get all my recent works that i have already done and also my download purchases and pieces solved and i have restored my pc cause of the stupid devs made an error on to remove older version...