Windows 10: Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

Discus and support Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I own a retail license of Windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10 some many years ago. I recently changed hardware motherboard, GPU, processor so it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TheJayvee, Dec 17, 2020.

1. TheJayvee Win User

Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

Hello. I own a retail license of Windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10 some many years ago. I recently changed hardware motherboard, GPU, processor so it was a significant change. I actually forgot to deactivate the old license I am still using the same HD so that means I can't run Windows on the old motherboard. Is there a way to force a license transfer in this case?

:)

TheJayvee, Dec 17, 2020

2. Digital License after transfer license to new computer

Uninstalling a product key does not deactivate the license, there is actually no deactivation method. You would still need to contact support to actually invalidate the license on the old machine, so it can reactivate on the new machine.

Transferring the license is a step by step process.

First, you either remove the license from the machine by formatting it.

Install it on the new machine.

Contact chat support, then reactivate.

Where Digital license is handy is when you are still using the machine and reinstall Windows 10 and need to reactivate the license after a significant hardware change, such as a hard disk.

Learn more:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 17, 2020
  3. How to transfer windows 10 license to a new computer?

If its the free upgrade originated from an OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 preinstalled license, it is still not transferrable, even though it says its retail in the command line using slmgr.vbs /dlv command.

Only licenses upgraded from a retail Windows 8 or Windows 7 or full Windows 10 license.

Learn more:

4. Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

Thema:

Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

1. Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer - Similar Threads - Forgot deactivate retail

2. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware: I started a hardware upgrade project recently with the intention of upgrading the motherboard and CPU. During a partial disassembly I realized I would need to buy a new case and also that I can't get the hard drive fully out of the plastic tray it was mounted in. The original...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 Retail License to new hardware: I started a hardware upgrade project recently with the intention of upgrading the motherboard and CPU. During a partial disassembly I realized I would need to buy a new case and also that I can't get the hard drive fully out of the plastic tray it was mounted in. The original...
  4. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  5. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  6. How to transfer retail license.

How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one of my microsoft accounts which I'm not using any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  7. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one my my microsft accounts which I'm not using it any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  8. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one my my microsft accounts which I'm not using it any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  9. Can't Transfer Linked Retail License on new Hardware

Can't Transfer Linked Retail License on new Hardware: Hello, I just changed my motherboard and can't seem to transfer Linked Retail License on new Hardware. The License is Retail. Troubleshoot isn't working. It keeps saying it can't find license linked to account, but i know for 100% that i had it linked. I can't seem...
  10. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer: I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer. Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer. Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key Many thanks Charlie #&...