Windows 10: Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware

Discus and support Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello I know this is an well known issue but I could not find an answer which solves my problem. Because I forgot to link the Windows10 key to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Sven089, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Sven089 Win User

Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware

Hello

I know this is an well known issue but I could not find an answer which solves my problem. Because I forgot to link the Windows10 key to my account when I first installed it all proposed solutions do not work. It seems there is no possibility to link the key now and I also deactived the key on the old hardware - nothing worked. When trying to activate Windows again with the new hardware the trouble shooting process did not give me any options either. What else could I do? Any other option except calling the support?

:)

Sven089, Mar 27, 2019
  2. JT1969C10 Win User

Activating WIndows 10 after hardware change.

Before replacing my hardware on my main computer, I logged into my Microsoft Windows account. Once logged in, I saw that the name of the PC that I was upgrading was in my list of PCs that were activated for Windows 10 Pro. So after reviewing how to reactivate
    after a HW changed, I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard, CPU and memory in that PC.

Now, when it is time to reactivate, the PC in question is still listed in the hardware list on my MS account but it will not allow me to activate Windows. I followed the instructions online and ran the troubleshooting tool. It then gave me the following
    response:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the
    Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later.

See other devices linked to your Microsoft account

So why would it not find the license that was for this PC when it had the old hardware installed? My assumption, albeit may wrong, was that the PC was activated because it was in the list. It was also activated as a Windows 10 Pro edition.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of issue?

JT1969C10, Mar 27, 2019
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Can't activate after hardware change

Hi Sullivan,

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware
    change later, such as replacing the motherboard. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. The link contains all the necessary information on how to reactive Windows 10 after a hardware
    change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Mar 27, 2019
  4. Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware

Activation troubles after hardware chnage

Here's what happened:

• Linked my Windows 10 Pro Licence to my Microsoft account.
    • Switched out to a new motherboard, new install linked to my Microsoft account.
    • Activation has failed, (Error Code: 0xC004C003) when I try to troubleshoot:
    • Have been trying for 3 days now - still not activated.
    Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks

TobiasPreston, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware

1. Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware - Similar Threads - Forgot link Win10

2. I cannot re-activate my Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I cannot re-activate my Windows 10 after hardware change: Recently, I bought a new PC an tried to transfer my Microsoft digital license to it using troubleshooter. Yes, my digital license is RETAIL because I ordered it in retail shop 3 years ago + I checked the license via ShowKeyPlus and it says that it is a RETAIL version.The...
  3. I cannot re-activate my Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot re-activate my Windows 10 after hardware change: Recently, I bought a new PC an tried to transfer my Microsoft digital license to it using troubleshooter. Yes, my digital license is RETAIL because I ordered it in retail shop 3 years ago + I checked the license via ShowKeyPlus and it says that it is a RETAIL version.The...
  4. I cannot re-activate my Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. changing the account my windows activation is linked to

changing the account my windows activation is linked to: ive recently aquired my grandmothers computer and would like to reset it and have my own ms account as the main account however i dont know the activation key and its not in the box nor does anyone know it, but it seems to be linked to her account is there any way i can re...
  6. changing the account my windows activation is linked to

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing the account my windows activation is linked to: ive recently aquired my grandmothers computer and would like to reset it and have my own ms account as the main account however i dont know the activation key and its not in the box nor does anyone know it, but it seems to be linked to her account is there any way i can re...
  7. changing the account my windows activation is linked to

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Re-activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-activation after hardware change: Hello, so I upgraded my hardware in my PC and the first time I started it up no issues. Day after Windows are asking to be activated. So I go through the activation trouble shooter and in the end it tells it can not be activated at the time. My windows 10 are free...
  9. re activating Win10 pro after hardware change

re activating Win10 pro after hardware change: Hi, I need to change my motherboard soon as it is showing failures, so I will be buying a new one with CPU and Memory and I wonder if it is possible to reactivate windows without a Microsoft account as I only have a local account ? I do have a valid activation key because I...
  10. Re-activation after hardware change

Re-activation after hardware change: I recently changed motherboards, and when I booted up my computer, windows was deactivated. I am signed in to the same account I was before, and didn't change editions of windows. I have tried using the built-in troubleshooter, even choosing the "I changed hardware recently"...