Windows 10: Format a drive - not possible - in use... but by what?

Discus and support Format a drive - not possible - in use... but by what? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Trying to format an empty partition. The only things there are two system folders: $Recycle.bin System Volume Information Am getting a warning: "... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tfwul, May 14, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Format a drive - not possible - in use... but by what?

Trying to format an empty partition. The only things there are two system folders:
    $Recycle.bin
    System Volume Information

Am getting a warning:

"
    This drive is in use. Another program or process is using this drive. Do you want to format it anyway?
    "

The possible solutions that can be found on Internet are using DISKPART or DiskManagement or simply click on [YES] in the warning pop-up.

However, my question is: is there a way to figure out what other program is 'using' the drive?

I may force a format, but then again, I wouldn't know what other program, or process, has been holding me back from the conventional way of formatting.

Thanks!

:)

tfwul, May 14, 2018
  2. commonone Win User

Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, May 16, 2018
  3. How to format an encrepted Flash Drive using windows 10

Hello Nancy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

Please answer the below questions:

• How are you exactly trying to format the flash drive?
    • What is the exact error message?
    • Did you try formatting the flash drive in another computer?

Please get back to us with the information.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), May 16, 2018
Thema:

Format a drive - not possible - in use... but by what?

1. Format a drive - not possible - in use... but by what? - Similar Threads - Format drive possible

2. Drive Format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Format: My LVME is set to MBR. Windows 11 requires GPT. Can I transfer my data from a MBR drive to one formated GPT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-format/0000273c-7546-403a-a8b3-3cdcd927a021
  3. Drive Format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Format: My LVME is set to MBR. Windows 11 requires GPT. Can I transfer my data from a MBR drive to one formated GPT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-format/0000273c-7546-403a-a8b3-3cdcd927a021
  4. What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?: - Should I format an infected USB drive and a clean USB drive from an infected PC? - Should I format an infected USB drive from a clean PC? Thank you It is Windows 10 version 20H2 181077
  5. Is it possible to find what device uses a driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to find what device uses a driver?: Hello, After updating to Windows 10 2004, I noticed that Windows Security now reports incompatible drivers when you try to turn on Memory Integrity under Core Isolation. The driver I've had issues with for years now appears to be usb2ser.sys, but I can't find any devices...
  6. Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive

Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive: [img] I assume Origin game client is using it. Or another app I used to Compress files that were on it . A folder keeps being created in this SSD external drive, from a game folder i previously thought I had deleted. Just the folder itself keeps regenerating no matter what...
  7. what format for backup external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what format for backup external drive: what format for backup external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-format-for-backup-external-drive/5797e3a5-1f76-4363-ad9b-c7204832a04c"
  8. format drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format drive: hi, I've upgraded from win7 premium to win10. I need to do back up recovery drive. Must I format 16gb usb drive to NTSF format instead of fat32? and how much space is required for allocation? win 10 has already denied processing recovery drive backup. so concerned...
  9. Accidentally "formatted" running drive using Fat32Formatter

Accidentally "formatted" running drive using Fat32Formatter: Hello everyone! I know someone posted a very similar case some years ago but I still haven't found a solution - so I opened the topic. I currently have the folowing problem and I hope someone could help me: I wanted to format a microSD card using Fat32Formatter....
  10. what is the best and safest way to format a storage drive

what is the best and safest way to format a storage drive: I have my OS on an SSD and then I have 3 2 TB hard drives that I use to have a triple redundancy backup. I have one drive I save everything to and then I use a program called GoodSync to back up that main drive to two other drives. It is a bit overkill but I know I will have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. drive