Windows 10: format C:, then fresh install, HD STILL grinds and grinds and grinds a

Discus and support format C:, then fresh install, HD STILL grinds and grinds and grinds a in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had to resort to a full re-install of Windows 10 (from an WIndows 10 ISO disc I created) because it was bogging my hard drive down so hard the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by guitz, Aug 1, 2016.

1. guitz Win User

format C:, then fresh install, HD STILL grinds and grinds and grinds a

I had to resort to a full re-install of Windows 10 (from an WIndows 10 ISO disc I created) because it was bogging my hard drive down so hard the activitly LED was on non-stop and it just endlessly grinded and grinded doing something lol....There is either some kind (or many kinds) of default Windows activitiy going on constantly in the background or something nasty has hijacked my pc. Now here's the really WEIRD part, even after a format C: and reinstall of windows 10, the HD still 'works' too much by constantly grinding and grinding and grinding (activity) and I STILL have the same background and same favorites in my Edge browswer! lol, this tells me either windows is rummaging through my attached 1 gig USB drive, which I sometimes move backup copies of various things to or windows must have put the background image, favorites (and who knows what else) files into the Onedrive junk and it's pulling things from there...

If anyone has a solution for the hard drive constantly working even after format C: and fresh windows install and why after that fresh reinstall , the background image and Edge favorites (and who knows what else) were there after the fresh install.

Thanks,

system:
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 1511
    Processor Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 Ghz
    RAM 4 GB
    OS 64 bit

:)

guitz, Aug 1, 2016

2. download windows 10 update version 1709 after 26 hours still not downloaded.

Download windows 10 update version 1709. 26 hours still grinding over on 90%.

NoelWoolacott, Aug 1, 2016
  3. synth_fg Win User
    N8 Microsoft apps update failing, missing dependency

5 Hours of grinding away to install the damn thing, :thumbsup:

better be worth it

synth_fg, Aug 1, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Your profile is stored on a server so if you go to any of with windows 10 you will get your background etc. You need to tell us what's using the drive in task manager you can sort columns by disk usage so we can see what's doing it

Samuria, Aug 1, 2016
  5. simpk5 Win User
    Have you tested the hard drive for errors?

simpk5, Aug 1, 2016
  6. guitz Win User
    Looks like Edge is killing my memory (938 megs) ...but how could that be, I just re-installed windows! Could it be that windows is pulling crap from my browsing history or something else from my profile or be related to my account? This is craziness....

I tried to upload a pic of the task manager results, but the pc is so bogged down apparently it won't do it...is it possible 4 gigs isn't enough memory to work with windows 10 smoothly?

Lastly, how on Earth after all these years, with all the advancements , with all the millions upon millions of lines of codes , Windows STILL isn't smart enough to in effect, let you know that something is killing your systems performance? I'd settle for one of those legendary ambiguous 'out of memory' or 'unable to perform' pop ups at this point lol...What with Cortanas artificial intelligence, it's stunning that a pc can frequently be brought to its knees performancewise and windows doesn't have the intelligence yet to override/inform/correct etc without having to resort to fuzzy user deduction by running task manager etc and even then , having to speculate why the Edge browser is hoarding all that memory, in this case.

guitz, Aug 1, 2016
  7. guitz Win User
    yes, before I reformatted, I ran a test for errors on it, came back OK

guitz, Aug 1, 2016
  8. simpk5 Win User

Which chkdsk command did you use? chkdsk /r chkdsk /f ?

simpk5, Aug 1, 2016
  9. guitz Win User
    chkdsk / r

guitz, Aug 1, 2016
  10. simpk5 Win User
    When you go into task manager, performance, resource monitor, disk what do you see using the majority of the disk cycles?

simpk5, Aug 1, 2016
  11. simpk5 Win User
    I didnt see your post to/from Sumuria before. Can you stop edge in task manager by right click 'end task' while its highlighted?

simpk5, Aug 1, 2016
  12. Plankton Win User
    This is just a guess; buy my gut is telling me that your attached USB drive might be what's generating the LED HDD light activity. Have you unplugged the USB drive and checked the HDD activity light?

Note: A USB device by design is temporary....meaning it's not supposed to be connected 24/7 - 365.

Plankton, Aug 1, 2016
  13. guitz Win User

no, this is another funky thing...it simply doesn't stop it...I have to manually click the red X in the top right corner...then wait about 7 seconds before it actually closes...more strangeness...after several power down reboots, then waiting 10 minutes for things to settle down (no disk activity) clicking to various websites and then various links in those websites are still very slow 10 to 20 seconds before they execute , or just flat out don't work...this is in Edge...same slowness/lack of response from IE too and this is with the disk drive LED not lit and no grinding heard...

guitz, Aug 1, 2016
  14. guitz Win User
    actually USB devices can be plugged in 24/7....my audio interface is an external USB device, printer as well....as far as the external USB drive, it has it's own activity LED on the front, the pc's LED is definitely not responding to it, no question about that.

guitz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. format C:, then fresh install, HD STILL grinds and grinds and grinds a - Similar Threads - format fresh install

2. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt: Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even...
  3. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt: Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even...
  4. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. GPU Making Grinding Noise

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU Making Grinding Noise: I haven't been able to use my desktop PC for weeks due to this grinding noise coming from the GPU fan I believe(I know for sure it's not the hard drive nor the fan so I've not been too worried.). I have opened it up inspected it etc. and don't really know what else to do I'm...
  6. Computer freezes with grinding noise and then restart itself

Computer freezes with grinding noise and then restart itself: Hi guys, I've got a problem that's preventing me from playing and I'm kind of starting feeling a little desperate now, so I need expert help Basically while playing (doesn't matter the game, it happened both with MTG:Arena and Path of Exile) the machine will freeze at random...
  7. Fan making grinding noise

Fan making grinding noise: My fan is making a terrible grinding noise. It runs loud and also pulses at times. I called tech support. They wanted $90 to fix. What is causing this? The mentioned something about fan drivers (and other drivers not working properly). How can I fix it?...
  8. Fan making grinding noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fan making grinding noise: My fan is making a terrible grinding noise. It runs loud and also pulses at times. I called tech support. They wanted $90 to fix. What is causing this? The mentioned something about fan drivers (and other drivers not working properly). How can I fix it?...
  9. GPU Grinding Noise

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU Grinding Noise: My GPU is the GTX 970. It's started making an odd noise when I play games. The game in question is very hard on the video card, but it runs it with no performance or temperature issues. The average temperature when playing is 55-65 Celsius. It only happens while I'm playing...
  10. W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox): Hi, fairly new W10 install based on W7 upgrade. Stock drivers for everything. While playing computer games recently (particularly DOSBOX ones) I experience that the system simply grinds to a halt after a certain time. Even trying to get a Task Manager/Process Manager...