Windows 10: Format complete hard drive

Discus and support Format complete hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a hard drive with an older windows 10 version and some other partitions. I want to totally reformat the drive and reinstall windows 10. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Funkyecat, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Funkyecat Win User

Format complete hard drive

I have a hard drive with an older windows 10 version and some other partitions. I want to totally reformat the drive and reinstall windows 10. The Device Manager will list only the partitions and not the complete drive. Do I have to format it from a dvd or another hard drive or can it be reformatted from the Media Creation Tool or ?

:)

Funkyecat, Oct 28, 2017
  2. JoeKrider Win User

Hard Drive Complete Format and Clean Windows 10 Install

I am running a Gateway SX-2185 that originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled with NO installation disk. I upgraded to Windows 10 Home during the "free" upgrade window. Now I want to take the computer to pristine condition by reformatting the hard drive
    and reinstalling Windows 10. When I try to "RESET" the computer, I get the error message "Could Not Find The Recovery Environment." When I try to download the Windows ISO file (create Windows 10 installation media), I get directed to

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
    This is a dead link, with nothing on the page directing me elsewhere. I am at a loss as to where to go from here. I shouldn't have to buy a new PC or even a new piece of software to do this.

Processor: AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon Graphics 1.40 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 gig

System type 64-bit Operating System, x-64 based processor

Windows edition Windows 10 home

Windows is activated with a valid ID

I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions??? All help will be GREATLY appreciated.

***Post has been moved by the moderator to the right forum category***

JoeKrider, Oct 28, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 28, 2017
  5. Funkyecat Win User
    I don't have the installation media. Maybe create recovery USB.?

Funkyecat, Oct 28, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    This will be a problem.

You can reformat the disk but if you don't have installation media what are you going to do?

You can reset Windows without reinstalling but that will not reformat the disk - see here Reset Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If you reformat the disk you must have some installation to put on it or it will remain empty.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  8. Funkyecat Win User

One issue is that when I perform a complete reinstall, the compotor setting in Bioe in RAID and I am unable set it to AHCI.

Funkyecat, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Switch the setting to AHCI and then boot from your install media, such as a flash drive. The Media Creation Tool will create a flash drive for you.

DeaconFrost, Oct 31, 2017
  10. Funkyecat Win User
    I was told that you have to format the HD. It cannot be done. I'll try to reinstall win 10, Initially it will not boot from a USB via MCT.

Funkyecat, Oct 31, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 31, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    No, you don't have to format the HD. If you boot from USB it doesn't care what is on any of your hard drives and AHCI is a BIOS not a Windows setting.

Assuming you can boot from your USB you can delete all partitions at that point (either from Windows Installer or any other bootable USB).

13. Funkyecat Win User

I know, but ut won't work unless you format the drive. I was told by an expeert and have tried it many times.

Funkyecat, Oct 31, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    They were wrong.

You can install Windows on a drive formatted anything by destroying the partition table.

You can boot the installer USB with no HD connected at all.

15. Funkyecat Win User
    There are more then one partitions.

Funkyecat, Oct 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Format complete hard drive - Similar Threads - Format complete hard

2. hard drive isn't formatting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard drive isn't formatting: Sir, my windows was crashed when my laptop fell from the table. Most of my data in hdd was corrupt. But the important data was 50% recovered. Then I bought a ssd and tried to trasnfer important data from hdd to ssd. Then I formatted hdd but it shows 465GB of unallocated...
  3. format old hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format old hard drive: Do i have to format old hard drive to install windows 10 from cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-hard-drive/78cd15c3-9d15-41fe-b88a-590b61a502ec
  4. Formating a hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  5. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  6. Format a Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format a Hard Disk Drive: I want to reformat a HGST 750GB hard disk drive connected thru a USB port on my computer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-hard-disk-drive/0e989132-1b84-48c9-b089-ce4ac8420d30
  7. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  8. Format external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  9. formatting a hard drive

formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  10. Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows

Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows: Hi, I have a Viglen (Tesco's) Connect 10 tablet (Desktop-CTR0QB9). BIOS - american megatrends Ver 5.008. CPU - Intel Atom z3735G @ 1.33Ghz 32Bit with 64Bit support. Was all up to date with V1709, Malwarebytes, Defender. I was having a problem with the screen and...