Windows 10: Format external backup drive for NTFS

Discus and support Format external backup drive for NTFS in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RobertNelson8, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Format external backup drive for NTFS

I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?

:)

RobertNelson8, Jul 12, 2018
  2. Rexter Win User

Formatting to old NTFS version

I will try and make this short:

My brother has an external harddrive he uses to backup all his personal data to. He has three pc's, one with vista, one with windows 7, and one with XP.
    The harddrive is formatted to NTFS out of the box, and works flawlessly with vista and 7, but it doesnt work with XP.
    Its recognized, but doesnt appear in "My Computer". When i go to disk management under computer administration, the drive appears, but every single option is grayed out.

I am thinking it might be an ntfs version incompability, so i was hoping to get the XP coputer to format it, but no matter what i do it doesnt work.

So is there a way to format the drive to an older version of NTFS, or is the problem something else?

Rexter, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 12, 2018
  4. commonone Win User

Format external backup drive for NTFS

Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Format external backup drive for NTFS

1. Format external backup drive for NTFS - Similar Threads - Format external backup

2. Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS: I have a Lacie d2 Professional external drive. I want to backup Windows-based files from my HP laptop. However, I previous backed up files from my Mac, not knowing that formatted the external drive for Mac only. I want to re-format the drive to Microsoft NTFS, and not use it...
  3. Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to Re-Format Lacie External Drive Back to NTFS: I have a Lacie d2 Professional external drive. I want to backup Windows-based files from my HP laptop. However, I previous backed up files from my Mac, not knowing that formatted the external drive for Mac only. I want to re-format the drive to Microsoft NTFS, and not use it...
  4. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  5. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  6. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. how to format external drive to backup windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to format external drive to backup windows 10: how to format external drive to backup windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-external-drive-to-backup-windows-10/e8896696-61d7-4bfb-ad33-14e733b84b82
  8. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  9. what format for backup external drive

what format for backup external drive: what format for backup external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-format-for-backup-external-drive/5797e3a5-1f76-4363-ad9b-c7204832a04c"
  10. Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?: I have an external WD 8TB My Book: My Book - External Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD) It is formated in exFat. Could I do a quick format with NTFS? Would this cause any drawbacks? 94361

Users found this page by searching for:

1. format backup ntfs drive

2. format backup drive to Ntfs

3. windows 10 will not backup to external HD formatted ntfs

4. windows 10 backup want formats external drive ntfs ,
  5. best way to format an external 8tb drive to ntfs for windows 10