Windows 10: Format/install Win 10 and leave a data volume

Discus and support Format/install Win 10 and leave a data volume in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi: I'd like to install Windows 10 fresh again but I do not want to remove Partition 5. I'm assuming in setup/custom I can remove the first 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Whatrymes, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Whatrymes Win User

Format/install Win 10 and leave a data volume

Hi:

I'd like to install Windows 10 fresh again but I do not want to remove Partition 5. I'm assuming in setup/custom I can remove the first 4 partitions, install in the unallocated space and Partition 5 will be left alone?

Thank you.

:)

Whatrymes, Mar 12, 2017
  2. Lobo_357 Win User

dual boot

I have Windows 10 on my computer and need to have it as a dual boot with Win 10 and Server 2012. I created the partition but it seems to always create it in GPT format and when I try to install Server 2012 it says it can not install on a GPT format partition.

Is there a way to make only the partition mbr format and leave the rest of the drive as is or to install Server 2012?

Lobo_357, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Need to know my PC's Windows 10 pro license key after formatting the PC

Thank you so much for all the details.

The PC had Win 10 pro when we bought it. Then I formatted the PC and installed Win 10 enterprise. Also, I activated windows by collecting the license key from MS Volume licensing service.

Is it possible to get my Win 10 pro license key without reinstalling Win 10 pro?

Supreeth_S, Mar 12, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Yes it should but crap can happen. Recommend you backup the partition with Macrium Reflect Free or similar first.

cereberus, Mar 12, 2017
  5. Whatrymes Win User
    Thank you and oh yes, I'll back-up everything before this, I've learned the hard way.

Whatrymes, Mar 12, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    I`d lower the amount of your install partition, 435 GB is rather large for windows.

AddRAM, Mar 12, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Agreed. My latest computer, 3 months ago, came with a 1TB HDD split as 150GB for C: and the balance for D: which I relabeled as Data. I put all my downloads and larger programs on D:.

Berton, Mar 12, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Yep, you want a smaller windows partition and a larger data partition, because if you ​have no other drives, you`ll need some extra room on the data partition to store at least 1 disk image.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Format/install Win 10 and leave a data volume - Similar Threads - Format install leave

2. installed win 10 without format C drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    installed win 10 without format C drive.: I installed win 10 by dvd on my pc without booting. I didn't format the previous win 7. Now I am seeing old program of win 7 on my desktop while i already delete windows.old folder from C drive. Plz help me submitted by /u/amit-gautam [link] [comments]...
  3. IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS data format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS data format: In the function ClearCommError from winbase API, an IOCTL call with code IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS is sent to the driver and a pointer Request is passed as a parameter. What exactly is expected to be returned to the function by this pointer from the driver side? What is the...
  4. Win 10 Data Usage Background Data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Data Usage Background Data: [ATTACH] I used to be able to shut off background data in the Data usage screen as shown in this link: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2018/04/view-data-usage-per-app-windows10.jpg?itok=ZWjdngvO But I can no...
  5. quick format- data recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    quick format- data recovery: Accident I did quick format of D drive (windows 10), the data is in drive, I am not able to see any why to recover the data, can any one guide https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-format-data-recovery/5e55eb45-391a-45da-9a08-50e709c2d7a9
  6. Erase data win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Erase data win 10: Bot new computer, want to donate. How erase[ delete data ]. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-data-win-10/3bd60287-b5f1-44b5-b037-156266d23d18"
  7. Change time format Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change time format Win 10: How can I change time to 12 hr clock? When I go to Settings, Time & Language, Date & Time, Change date and time formats, under Short Time my only choice is HH:mm; under Long Time it's HH:mm:ss....
  8. Win 10 extend volume

Win 10 extend volume: Hi all got a problem with an old laptop use to run vista as main os, over time added 8 then 10 upgrade, deleted win vista was slowing system down too much, use as a back up pc to get online as a last resort its slow and old but got me out of some scrapes, (acer 7720G) (like a...
  9. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847
  10. WIN 10 Volume control

in Windows 10 Support
    WIN 10 Volume control: Greetings and thank you for your time. On the bottom right of the task bar, when I click on the volume icon the volume display doesn't appear. Any suggestions would be helpful. 76468