Windows 10: Format old SSD with Windows 10

Discus and support Format old SSD with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi All.... I recently upgraded to a PCI SSD and want to format the SSD with the old installation files on it and use it for storage. What would be the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ChadBonk, Nov 21, 2017.

1. ChadBonk Win User

Format old SSD with Windows 10

Hi All....
    I recently upgraded to a PCI SSD and want to format the SSD with the old installation files on it and use it for storage. What would be the proper way to go about this with both versions on those drives being Windows 10, and the new PCI SSD Windows 10 Creators Update? I tried to format the drive, making sure nothing is on there that I want, and I get the message that it is in use by another program. The only thing that I could think that might be accessing it is Carbonite, and I paused that while I was trying to format it. I even tried going a little more brutal on it, and doing it with the Cmd Prompt, and runing DISKPART> clean and Format fs=NTFS.... and I get "Virtual Disk Service Error" Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume." I also tried Disk Management, and the option is there, but greyed out. *Sad

Any suggestions? I'm sure this can be done, there's just a proper way to it since it has an old boot file on it. I'm hoping I don't have to boot to it and do it that way. *Sad I'd rather stay out of BIOS if I can.

:)

ChadBonk, Nov 21, 2017

2. Adding an old SSD to new computer

To use the Old SSD for games, it would be recommended o just cleanly format it. Losing the Old installed Widnows in the old SSD is perfectly fine, since you will still be able to have its license online (On your MS Account).

Before cleanly formating it, please to to recover your important personal-old files first.

System reserve shows up, when you have the old SSD, then is belong to the said drive. If you do not plan to boot from the old SSD anymore, then it is ok to Delete it together with the old Windows 10 installation.

If your concern is that you have the Legacy version of Windows 10 (1511 and 1607), then I suggedt that you just keep the drive.

Gina_on_the_thread, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Windows 10 migration

I think, if I understand, you want to use the new SSD as the old one is now?

Two ways I can think of:

1) CLONE the old SSD to the new SSD, remove the old SSD and format it before putting it back in.

2) Take out the OLD SSD, leave in the new SSD, install Windows only, update device drivers and Windows 10 itself fully. Install only the programs you want on the system and then, put in the old SSD and copy the stuff you need off of it (your documents,
    etc.) onto the new drive/setup and then erase the old SSD.

Shenan Stanley, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Kyhi Win User

unplug the OLD drive and reboot...
    if the New Drive does not boot, then you will have to make changes to the New drive. because the boot files are not on new drive, but rather on the old drive...

5. ChadBonk Win User
    What kinda of changes would I need to make? I

ChadBonk, Nov 21, 2017
  6. ChadBonk Win User
    If I remember correctly, the OS ended up becoming corrupt and wouldn't boot anyways. So it was a clean install on the PCI SSD

ChadBonk, Nov 21, 2017
  7. ChadBonk Win User
    I confirmed by unplugging the 3 other SSD's that the system still boots. So, nothing is "tied" to that particular SSD

ChadBonk, Nov 21, 2017
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Using DISKPART from command prompt Admin, list the disks (lis dis) and select the disk you want to wipe (sel dis followed by the number of the disk), list the partitions (lis par).
    Now select the partition containing the OS files and type del par override. When succesful you can then select the remaining smaller partitions and issue the same command.

If that doesn't work let us know the error message that's been thrown up.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 21, 2017
  9. ChadBonk Win User
    Copy that. I know I tried this method, just, not selecting the exact partition of the OS

ChadBonk, Nov 21, 2017
  10. ChadBonk Win User
    Format old SSD with Windows 10 [​IMG]

ChadBonk, Nov 22, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The command after selecting the partition should have been delete part override. Not clean override.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  12. ChadBonk Win User
    So... I was able to chip away the partitions. There were 3. I can't seem to get rid of the last one tho.

ChadBonk, Nov 22, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

@ChadBonk

If you are referring to the one where you have the red ?, that is not an active partition. It is Unallocated space....empty, assigned to nothing. It's supposed to be there. It's 1.34GB of unused space. You could easily extend the first partition ("Y" I think it says) to include that empty space, and then you would only see 1 partition on that drive. Right click the "Y" partition and select Extend Volume, click Next and select all the space available....1.34GB. Example from my machine.

f14tomcat, Nov 22, 2017
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It looks as if the pagefile is residing on that Y: partition which is why you can't delete it.
    Can you check this ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 22, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    Oh, I see now what he's trying to do, sorry. The ? threw me. If it is the Page File, setting that to zero (no page file used), rebooting, should let him delete it. Then set the page file back up and reboot, it should end up on "C". Make any sense?

f14tomcat, Nov 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Format old SSD with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Format old SSD

2. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  3. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  4. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd

Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd: Help! I migrated my OS to a smaller SSD. Now I need to format the old drive but not sure how? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-os-drive-after-migrating-to-smaller-ssd/286b446d-6342-4402-b890-979b8727a196
  6. Using an old SSD with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using an old SSD with Windows 10?: I have Windows 10 installed in an M.2 boot drive that I installed several years ago. l'm experiencing freezes/crashes so am looking at doing a fresh install of Windows OR going back to the SSD I had before I installed the M.2 and started having problems, but I'm not sure...
  7. Formatting SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting SSD: Hi there, when installing Windows 10 on a new SSD that has not been formatted is there a function during the installment process that allows the new SSD to formatted before installment? Thank you, Robert....
  8. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  9. SSD Formatting

SSD Formatting: When attempting to format my new SSD, Disk Management will only let me convert to MBR or a Dynamic Disk, but not show me the option to format it. It doesn't have a directory name yet, and I cannot install files onto it. How can I make that happen?...
  10. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609

Users found this page by searching for:

1. formatting an old boot ssd to storage ssd

2. can format a ssd with old windows 10 on it

3. old ssd format

4. format old windows ssd