Windows 10: Format SSD drive or any drive

Discus and support Format SSD drive or any drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, When I perform a quick format of my SSD drive then I experienced problems/conflicts when I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ThomasVanderavert, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Format SSD drive or any drive

Hello,

When I perform a quick format of my SSD drive then I experienced problems/conflicts when I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD drive afterwards compared to a slow(deep) format of my SSD drive! When I do a slow format of my SSD drive then I experience no problems/conflicts after reinstalling my Windows 10!

So when an installation of Windows 10 goes for example 10 layers deep with all other programs we install then why does a fast format goes only 5 layers deep? Then you should create the program which is created for a fast format and goes only 5 layers deep to keep formatting the next 5 layers when you perform a 2nd or 3rd fast format so that it gets formatted the same way as a slow(deep) format when you perform a quick format for 100 times!

I have a SSD drive of 1 Terabyte and takes 2 hours to perform a slow format but I have to do it for not experiencing any problems afterwards with rest of installation information that is left on the hard drive!

That shouldn't be a problem to program the fast format to keep formatting for example the NEXT 5 layers so that it format only 5 layers each time but the next ones so then it passes the layers that has already been format!

Best Regards,

Thomas

:)

ThomasVanderavert, Sep 12, 2019

2. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 12, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Sep 12, 2019
  4. blueriver Win User

Format SSD drive or any drive

Formatting 960 GB SSD Drive in Windows 10

To begin, I have 2 SSD drives that I have plugged in with an external adaptor. One I have music on and it is recognized by Win10. The other is a brand new drive that I just installed into the external adaptor. The adaptor holds 2 drives. Every time I
    try to access the new drive (listed at 'F' on my computer) I get a window that states I must format the drive. I click through to format. After some time while Windows is supposedly formatting the drive, I get a window that the format failed. I have tried
    this several times using Disk Management, right clicking on the drive and selecting Format Drive and the above directions. All have failed.

How do I format this drive so that I can use it?

Every time I go to Help or Support, I keep getting directions for Windows 7 or 8. Those directions are useless.

Thanks,

blueriver, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Format SSD drive or any drive

1. Format SSD drive or any drive - Similar Threads - Format SSD drive

2. formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11: What is the recommended file system to format a Solid State drive for Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-ssd-drive-for-windows-11/53458dfd-4f99-4ab7-9e6b-cae1d9e04646
  3. formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11: What is the recommended file system to format a Solid State drive for Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-ssd-drive-for-windows-11/53458dfd-4f99-4ab7-9e6b-cae1d9e04646
  4. Drive Format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Format: My LVME is set to MBR. Windows 11 requires GPT. Can I transfer my data from a MBR drive to one formated GPT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-format/0000273c-7546-403a-a8b3-3cdcd927a021
  5. Drive Format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Format: My LVME is set to MBR. Windows 11 requires GPT. Can I transfer my data from a MBR drive to one formated GPT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-format/0000273c-7546-403a-a8b3-3cdcd927a021
  6. Any recommendation on external SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Any recommendation on external SSD drive?: Hi, I was looking to buy an SSD external hard drive 1TB. There are too many choices out there. Does anybody have any recommendation in terms of specific model or brands? I am mainly looking for quality and reliability. Please advice, Thank you. 179756
  7. Any recommendation on external SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any recommendation on external SSD drive?: Hi, I was looking to buy an SSD external hard drive 1TB. There are too many choices out there. Does anybody have any recommendation in terms of specific model or brands? I am mainly looking for quality and reliability. Please advice, Thank you. 179756
  8. ssd drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ssd drive: I formatted my ssd drive from my laptop and installed linux mint 19 last week... SO, now i decided to install windows 10 now; so i bought windows 10 pr dvd 2 days ago but when i tried to install windows 10 and it said it cant because drive 0 partition 1 total size...
  9. format drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format drive: hi, I've upgraded from win7 premium to win10. I need to do back up recovery drive. Must I format 16gb usb drive to NTSF format instead of fat32? and how much space is required for allocation? win 10 has already denied processing recovery drive backup. so concerned...
  10. I can't format any drives...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't format any drives...: Hello! Today, when I tried to format my used storage device, it said this: [ATTACH] and [ATTACH]and [ATTACH] and [ATTACH] I need help. I cannot format any drive at all. Sincerely, Golden...