Windows 10: Formating a ssd

Discus and support Formating a ssd in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Coldy_, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Coldy_ Win User

Formating a ssd

Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much

:)

Coldy_, Dec 26, 2021
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 26, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Format SSD drive or any drive

Hi Thomas

Think of a hard drive or SSD as a book . . .

A Quick Format basically deletes the contents page (File Allocation Table), whereas a Long Format will also delete all the pages (Files)

If a quick format is taking 2 hours on your SSD and you are experiencing problems with Windows, when only performing a Quick Format, then I would suggest the formatting operation is not the problem, most likely that SSD has a problem. A Quick format on that
    drive, should take approx. 10 minutes . . .

DaveM121, Dec 26, 2021
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Formating a ssd

Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

This process will degrade the performance of your SSD. Unlike hard drives where new information is written directly over old information with no decline in speed. SSD's are blazingly fast when writing to empty NAND. However if there is no empty NAND available the SSD process changes to a two-step approach where the NAND has to be "cleaned" and then written to. This slows down the SSD considerably. (The trim command under the windows optimize function essentially identifies the old, not needed, information and assists the SSD in pre-cleaning the NAND's so that the SSD can operate at full speed).
    The only way to completely clean SSD is through a process known as secure erase. It essentially provides a blank SSD to write on. Formatting is nothing like that and a quick format essentially clears the record of the information that is written on an SSD so that Windows can treat it like a blank SSD, but the SSD still has to go through the two-step process. The NAND's are still full of old information and are effectively cleaned during periods of non-activity. A full format on the other hand will effectively write on every single NAND completely filling the SSD. If you want to start off with a clean fast SSD, use the manufacturers software and/or other generic software designed to secure erase the SSD.

Snakeyes, Dec 26, 2021
Thema:

Formating a ssd

1. Formating a ssd - Similar Threads - Formating ssd

2. Formatted SSD and computer won’t find it on new window 10 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatted SSD and computer won’t find it on new window 10 installation: hello,i am inquiring for some help. i had one of my older clients set up a new computer model is B1400CEAE-C53P-CA and set up a microsoft account and forgot the password. since they weren’t able to figure it out i was trying to format the ssd and then just reinstall windows...
  3. Formatted SSD and computer won’t find it on new window 10 installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatted SSD and computer won’t find it on new window 10 installation: hello,i am inquiring for some help. i had one of my older clients set up a new computer model is B1400CEAE-C53P-CA and set up a microsoft account and forgot the password. since they weren’t able to figure it out i was trying to format the ssd and then just reinstall windows...
  4. Formatted SSD and computer won’t find it on new window 10 installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure: few days ago we had a power outage and after that a bsod screen appeared, and still appears so i cant work with my os windows 11 for more than 2 minutes and any change i do eg delete an aplication or document does not takes any effect when the pc restarts. I ve been trying to...
  6. unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure

unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure: few days ago we had a power outage and after that a bsod screen appeared, and still appears so i cant work with my os windows 11 for more than 2 minutes and any change i do eg delete an aplication or document does not takes any effect when the pc restarts. I ve been trying to...
  7. Ssd non formatable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd non formatable: So I downloaded something and my ssd doesn’t really work. So we’re tryna format my ssd but we can’t because windows only works on safe mode. Any help? It’s a acer predator g3 710...
  8. Ssd non formatable

Ssd non formatable: So I downloaded something and my ssd doesn’t really work. So we’re tryna format my ssd but we can’t because windows only works on safe mode. Any help? It’s a acer predator g3 710...
  9. Ssd non formatable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Windows 10 won't work. Download of Win 10 not working. Formatting SSD not working.

Windows 10 won't work. Download of Win 10 not working. Formatting SSD not working.: I have a Vulcan Venture II laptop computer with a 30 GB SSD. Windows 10 quit working. I get a black screen after log in. I can get to the Program Manager with Control-Alt-Del. I want to reinstall Windows 10. I went to Microfsoft website, and downloaded Windows 10. I did this...