Windows 10: Formatted my PC and can't get my windows product key back, what to do?

Discus and support Formatted my PC and can't get my windows product key back, what to do? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I had some virus which came up to my computer from the web and my computer stopped working. I had to format my PC because of this and during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TanmayPardhi, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Formatted my PC and can't get my windows product key back, what to do?

Hello, I had some virus which came up to my computer from the web and my computer stopped working.
    I had to format my PC because of this and during this my windows too got deleted.

I got windows pre-installed with my new PC.

how can i get the product key for my genuine windows back?

please help

:)

TanmayPardhi, Jul 3, 2020
  2. FinZak Win User

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Jul 3, 2020
  3. how to get back my product key

reently i have a bad hard disk so i purchase a new ssd but after install i notice i don't have the product key as the sticker behind my laptop is blur and can't see the digit anymore. please kindly help and advise me how to get back my product key and
    active my window. and also my mouse keep missing

Celyn_2005, Jul 3, 2020
  4. Formatted my PC and can't get my windows product key back, what to do?

What is a key product

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

To assist you better please provide us more information.

• When you say ‘’Key product’’ do you refer to the Windows activation product key?
    • As you have selected to the phone category, are you getting any issue related to product key on the phone?
    If you refer to the phone, please be informed that there’s no such as product key for Phone. In case, if you refer to the product key of Windows system, I suggest you to go to the below link and go through the information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/what-is-product-key

If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

Formatted my PC and can't get my windows product key back, what to do?

1. Formatted my PC and can't get my windows product key back, what to do? - Similar Threads - Formatted can't product

2. How do i get my original product key back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get my original product key back: Apparently you can buy cheaper product keys that work for like 20 dollars instead of the joke of 380au dollars, so i tried putting the key in and it's not working. "you don't have a valid digital licence or product key" I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to pro, and...
  3. How do i get my original product key back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i get my original product key back: Apparently you can buy cheaper product keys that work for like 20 dollars instead of the joke of 380au dollars, so i tried putting the key in and it's not working. "you don't have a valid digital licence or product key" I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to pro, and...
  4. what is my product key

what is my product key: i cant find my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-my-product-key/39d8ffcc-4dec-4e0c-b00b-f1094eed0715
  5. What's my product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What's my product key?: I upgraded my RETAIL Windows 7 Professional X64 to Windows 10 Professional X64 when this upgrade was available. I want to wipe my system clean and reinstall window 10 but I don't know which key to use. When I use two product key finder utilities, I get two different keys....
  6. What's my product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's my product key?: I upgraded my RETAIL Windows 7 Professional X64 to Windows 10 Professional X64 when this upgrade was available. I want to wipe my system clean and reinstall window 10 but I don't know which key to use. When I use two product key finder utilities, I get two different keys....
  7. What's my product key?

8. what is my product key

what is my product key: how will i know my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-my-product-key/23f48c1d-c4c3-4b0b-87eb-4be861dd0913
  9. what is my product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    what is my product key: what is my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-my-product-key/fcefecf4-36c3-4590-b86e-fb1618d4443d
  10. How to get my "invisble" product key back

How to get my "invisble" product key back: So I got my hands on a win 10 pro license 2 years back, now am switching to Linux but keeping Win 10 for games. I have now backed up all the stuff I require and would like to reinstall Win 10 for other reasons. So my option to do so is to use the Windows Installation Media...