Windows 10: Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB

Discus and support Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I was using windows media creation tool and I didn't expect it to overwrite my entire hard drive. I've tried using recuva but it just spits out a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by velut, Jan 15, 2020.

1. velut Win User

Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB

Hi, I was using windows media creation tool and I didn't expect it to overwrite my entire hard drive. I've tried using recuva but it just spits out a mess of files. Is it possible to undo what the creation tool did or at the very least recover some of the folder structure?

:)

velut, Jan 15, 2020

2. How To Undo "ESD-USB" And Recover the lost folder structure and the lost files in the portable hard drive?

Hello ESD-USB,

Most likely your files on your portable drive is overwritten or deleted. In this case, you may consider to try using a third-party recovery program or go to a nearest local computer technician who can perform a recovery of your deleted files from your portable
    hard drive. Also, I was able to find threads similar to your concern. Kindly refer to the links below:

Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

How To Undo "ESD-USB" And Recover Files?

Revert esd-usb

Note: Using a third-party software is completely at your own risk.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jan 15, 2020
  3. External hard drive changed to esd-usb

While performing window media creation I have converted my external hard drive as bootable usb device (esd-usb). I couldn't recover my files in the hard drive . Need help

Vigneshkumar03, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB

Hi velut

Recuva I find only works best when you have chosen to delete files, from say, your recycle bin.

Unfortunately formatting your portable hard-drive makes it very hard to recover any files, as it essentially overwrites files that were on the hard-drive.

That being said, it may only 'overwrite' some files.
    : when files are deleted, they are marked as 'ready to be overwritten' which is then shown as free space.

I have had recent success using Ease US Recovery Wizard, but alas it only lets you recover a maximum of 2GB. You could choose to pay for the full version but it is probably not worth it if you are only going to use it once, so...

Another option is to take it to a computer shop that recovers data. I would get a few quotes to see if you can get a good deal.

Tech Radar has also posted their best picks for the best free 3rd party recovery software but I believe most of them will have limits for the amount of data you can recover.

If you need to make a bootable device (I am assuming that is why the media creation tool was used) in the future, I would recommend using a USB drive, portable Hard-drives are usually best for backup purposes. Also make sure the drive your are selecting is the correct one *Wink.

ellellell1, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Formatted my portable hard drive into a ESD-USB - Similar Threads - Formatted portable hard

2. ESD-USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ESD-USB: I have installed windows on an external hard drive it had very old photos, when i tried accessing the hard drive again after i have installed windows all the photos and data have been erased and the hard drive name has been changed to ESD-USB format... what do i do to...
  3. ESD-USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ESD-USB: I have installed windows on an external hard drive it had very old photos, when i tried accessing the hard drive again after i have installed windows all the photos and data have been erased and the hard drive name has been changed to ESD-USB format... what do i do to...
  4. Portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  5. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  6. TOSHIBA USB 3.0 PORTABLE HARD DRIVE 1.0TB

TOSHIBA USB 3.0 PORTABLE HARD DRIVE 1.0TB: Hi, Can you tell why is my Toshiba usb 3.0 portable hard drive 1.0tb is not recognized? How can I fix it? Thanks in advance... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-usb-30-portable-hard-drive-10tb/a88844f3-e5e5-4fd6-af89-32770600269f
  7. usb portable diskette drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb portable diskette drive: I would like to know why I am not able to load the driver for the usb portable diskette drive. I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-portable-diskette-drive/3b187512-2e68-4bf3-82c3-3923fe7aa6bc"
  8. Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.

Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.: I'm running Windows 10 Pro (10.0.17134) on a 3 month old HP Z Book laptop. I'm trying to use an external hard drive (HP 500 GB) that worked this morning. I'm now getting an error: Location is not available. Access is denied. I see this is a longstanding problem, going...
  9. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...
  10. USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive: my computer tells me it is connected but It will not pull up the contents of the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-30-portable-hard-drive/6d81eff8-30de-4c8c-af1b-a320eff49697

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover files from esd usb

2. format esd usb

3. how to format a ESD-usb