Windows 10: formatting a disk in E: drive

Discus and support formatting a disk in E: drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do you format a disk in the E: drive. Can't remember. Thanks.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Katherine MGibbs, Feb 7, 2019.

1. formatting a disk in E: drive

How do you format a disk in the E: drive. Can't remember. Thanks.

:)

Katherine MGibbs, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 7, 2019
  4. formatting a disk in E: drive

"You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it"

Hi Kelvin,

As per the info that you have provided, I understand that you are unable to use the Flash drive as it prompts the error "you need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it". Even after re formatting it, you are still receiving the same error.

If the above scenario is true, I suggest that you reformat the drive but with NTFS format and check if the same error displays after plugging it onto the PC. Also try to plug in another Flash drive with a FAT format and check if the error reappears

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

formatting a disk in E: drive

1. formatting a disk in E: drive - Similar Threads - formatting disk drive

2. Disk Formatting or Drive Not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Formatting or Drive Not recognized: Having an issue with a new HDD that I installed. It's giving me an error message below when I try to initialize.The disk is showing in the device manager and also in the storage space hardware under control panel. The bios is good and looks like the drive in enabled there...
  3. Disk Formatting or Drive Not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Formatting or Drive Not recognized: Having an issue with a new HDD that I installed. It's giving me an error message below when I try to initialize.The disk is showing in the device manager and also in the storage space hardware under control panel. The bios is good and looks like the drive in enabled there...
  4. Insert Disk in Drive (E:)

Insert Disk in Drive (E:): I keep getting a pop up that says "Insert Disk Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (E:) Cancel" There is no Drive or Disk (E:) What is this all about? I see others have the same issue. I have Windows 10 Home version 1909 OS Build 18363.1256 170780
  5. Insert Disk in Drive (E:)

in Windows 10 Support
    Insert Disk in Drive (E:): I keep getting a pop up that says "Insert Disk Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (E:) Cancel" There is no Drive or Disk (E:) What is this all about? I see others have the same issue. I have Windows 10 Home version 1909 OS Build 18363.1256 170780
  6. Insert disk into Drive E:?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Insert disk into Drive E:?: I keep getting a pop up that says "Insert Disk Please insert a disk into Removable Disk E: Cancel" There is no Drive or Disk E: What is this all about? I see others have the same issue. I have Windows 10 Home version 1909 OS Build 18363.1256...
  7. FORMAT E DRIVE

FORMAT E DRIVE: Sir, I can not format windows 10 E drive in my PC. When we click the format the display " this drive in use, another program or process is using the drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-e-drive/b1c2fa5e-12ec-47b2-bae8-1bb541732771
  8. Disk Drive 'E' Empty

Disk Drive 'E' Empty: Hi This is a much discussed problem with fixes confidently offered. The problem is they don't work. Not on my computer anyway. On 'This PC' page it shows Local Disk "E" 262MB free of 842MB, but when you click on it it's empty! The fixes send you to the Command Prompt and...
  9. Format a Hard Disk Drive

Format a Hard Disk Drive: I want to reformat a HGST 750GB hard disk drive connected thru a USB port on my computer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-hard-disk-drive/0e989132-1b84-48c9-b089-ce4ac8420d30
  10. Disk Drive (E:) disappeared

Disk Drive (E:) disappeared: So when my 900 gigabyte disk (E:) wasn't being used, I went to create a storage pool, thinking that would work, and now it gave and error saying "Can't create the pool, check the dive connections and then try again. 0x00000032. But now I can't find the disk anywhere and was...