Windows 10: formatting a disk in E: drive

Discus and support formatting a disk in E: drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do you format a disk in the E: drive. Can't remember. Thanks.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Katherine MGibbs, Feb 7, 2019.

1. formatting a disk in E: drive

How do you format a disk in the E: drive. Can't remember. Thanks.

:)

Katherine MGibbs, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 7, 2019
  4. formatting a disk in E: drive

"You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it"

Hi Kelvin,

As per the info that you have provided, I understand that you are unable to use the Flash drive as it prompts the error "you need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it". Even after re formatting it, you are still receiving the same error.

If the above scenario is true, I suggest that you reformat the drive but with NTFS format and check if the same error displays after plugging it onto the PC. Also try to plug in another Flash drive with a FAT format and check if the error reappears

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

formatting a disk in E: drive

1. formatting a disk in E: drive - Similar Threads - formatting disk drive

2. disk format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk format: disk default format on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-format/e7bc66a4-5d63-4dc7-b550-44aee6cb79fe
  3. Format a Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format a Hard Disk Drive: I want to reformat a HGST 750GB hard disk drive connected thru a USB port on my computer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-hard-disk-drive/0e989132-1b84-48c9-b089-ce4ac8420d30
  4. Format External hard disk drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format External hard disk drive.: I have external hard disk drive which was prepared as a mini windows 10. I am trying to format from disk management and Command prompt. receiving below errors: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile,...
  5. Disk Drive (E:) disappeared

Disk Drive (E:) disappeared: So when my 900 gigabyte disk (E:) wasn't being used, I went to create a storage pool, thinking that would work, and now it gave and error saying "Can't create the pool, check the dive connections and then try again. 0x00000032. But now I can't find the disk anywhere and was...
  6. Formatting a Disk

Formatting a Disk: I have installed a new 1 TB Hard Drive in my Dell Vostro 230 Desktop computer. I went to format it for first use but I wouldn't format because it is listed as a "System Disk" I cannot save anything to it, I tried to format it using DISKPART in the command prompt as an...
  7. running out of disk space on drive E

running out of disk space on drive E: i keep getting the following annoying message: Running out of disk space on E drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-out-of-disk-space-on-drive-e/d7214062-d1ab-477d-bd05-e3a24316e986"
  8. Low disk space in recovery drive E

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low disk space in recovery drive E: I keep getting the message that my recovery drive (E) is running out of space. Can I increase the size of that drive? 100849
  9. Low disk space in recovery drive E

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low disk space in recovery drive E: Does anybody know a procedure for solving this problem that actually works? I copied and followed the following one from this forum and it doesn't work. I don't feel like itemizing all the places where it just doesn't behave as stated. In Windows 10 just try it; you'll see....
  10. Format Disk or Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Format Disk or Drive in Windows 10: How to: Format Disk or Drive in Windows 10 How to Format a Disk or Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information Format is the process of preparing a data storage device such as a hard disk drive, solid-state drive, or USB flash drive for initial use to accept Windows files....