Windows 10: Formatting a Disk

Discus and support Formatting a Disk in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have installed a new 1 TB Hard Drive in my Dell Vostro 230 Desktop computer. I went to format it for first use but I wouldn't format because it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NickMirabito, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Formatting a Disk

I have installed a new 1 TB Hard Drive in my Dell Vostro 230 Desktop computer. I went to format it for first use but I wouldn't format because it is listed as a "System Disk" I cannot save anything to it, I tried to format it using DISKPART in the command prompt as an administrator, but received the same answer. Is there some way I can format the disk so that I may use it?

Thank you!

:)

NickMirabito, Dec 9, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 9, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cannot Format HD

Need to initialize it as GPT disk type with HD > 2TB:
    From Admin command prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk =====> Take a note of disk # for the 4TB HD
    3. select disk # ====> From step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize the disk as GPT, create simple then format.

topgundcp, Dec 9, 2018
  4. John Vil Win User

Formatting a Disk

Windows format disk message

Hello Marcos,

There may be several reasons why you are being prompted to have your pen drive formatted every time you plug it in to your PC. This prompt, however, may not be disabled. To isolate what's causing this issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did this issue start?
    • Were there any hardware/software changes on your PC prior to this happening?
    • Was your pen drive improperly pulled out from the USB port?
    • Have you tried plugging your pen drive to a different USB port or a different computer?

In the meantime we suggest you to check if your pen drive appears under
    Disk Management
    without any error. To check, follow the steps below:

• Click Windows + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Check and see if your pen drive shows on the list.

We will be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

Formatting a Disk

1. Formatting a Disk - Similar Threads - Formatting Disk

2. While installing windows 10 formated disk 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    While installing windows 10 formated disk 1: Hello while i was trying to install windows 10 i formated disk 0& disk 1 using cmd. After that it's showing that a driver is missing and windows isn't installing how can i solve this problem...
  3. How to format hard disk during installation of Windows 10?

How to format hard disk during installation of Windows 10?: Hi! Recently my hard disk was broken and I can't boot it to Windows 10. It would load and it will get stuck on the loading screen and then show a BSOD. I want to make a clean installation but I also want to format my hard disk too. Does the installation let me format it so...
  4. New Hard Disk Format, Cannot Properly Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Hard Disk Format, Cannot Properly Install Windows 10: Hey People of the Forums. I recently had a Hard Drive Issue which was resolved by going into the BIOS and tweaking some settings but after that, I had to boot Windows 10 on a CD/ROM device. And I come to see legitimately all settings cannot even be changed, but last I...
  5. disk format protection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk format protection: i had a game disk and i have a windows 64 bit version pc and i was trying to format it so i could put windows xp up their on the disk and it said it was protected !?!?!?!? HELP...
  6. windows cpu and disk 100% issue after updating and formatting c drive and tried all...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows cpu and disk 100% issue after updating and formatting c drive and tried all...: windows disk and cpu getting 100% problem not solving after trying all possible solution like virtual pagging ,power management ,registry ,diable update and window search service and also updating all drivers and win10 update laptop: Asus vivobook {also tried solution on...
  7. why my disk format is raw

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why my disk format is raw: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/REDhelium [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fau835/why_my_disk_format_is_raw/
  8. Need to fix disk signature collision to format a drive for return

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to fix disk signature collision to format a drive for return: I've had to replace a faulty drive and have used Macrium Rescue to move my OS and data intact to the new drive. That, in and of itself, is a wonderful thing! But I've put the old (faulty) drive in an enclosure and I want to inspect it, wipe it, deep format, etc. it and then...
  9. The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card: HI, I tried to format SD card and received a "write protected "message . After that i searched for online solution like: I have edited my registry to remove write protection. I have gone through command prompt and diskpart to attempt to format It goes upto stage of...
  10. can i format my hard drive and then restore windows from a system disk?

can i format my hard drive and then restore windows from a system disk?: can i format my hard drive and then restore windows from a system disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-format-my-hard-drive-and-then-restore/5c013317-6664-4575-9c12-8a702d818895