Windows 10: Formatting a Hard Drive that I took from a RAID-1 Linux System

Discus and support Formatting a Hard Drive that I took from a RAID-1 Linux System in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I have a 6 year old server with 2 1-terabyte 3.5 inch drives from my old business. The server was managed by my IT person and I was never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Neutron Man, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Formatting a Hard Drive that I took from a RAID-1 Linux System

Hi. I have a 6 year old server with 2 1-terabyte 3.5 inch drives from my old business. The server was managed by my IT person and I was never interested in learning Linux so I never even got the passwords. Now I'd like to take the drives out and put them into an Insignia 3.5" External Drive enclosure, plug the enclosure into my Windows 10 lap through the USB port and then format the drives. One at a time. But the Windows 10 system will not assign a drive letter and does not give the option to initialize the drive(s). I have Administrator privilege over the laptop. Any suggestions?

:)

Neutron Man, Jun 22, 2019
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not accessable in Windows 10 using external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the file partition format type of your external drive?

As Linux and Windows they work on different file system, when the files are migrated from Linux base system to Windows OS, most of the files that are not supported could be hidden, I suggest you to follow the steps below to further
    narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Check the hard drive in different computer.

I suggest you to check the hard drive in a different computer and check if you still face the issue.

If the same issue persists on different computer then the issue might be with the hard drive itself, I suggest you to contact the local tech and get the drive checked.

Method 2: Run Check disk.

Run the check disk command to repair the hard drive and fix the bad sectors.

1. Search for Command Prompt on the start menu.
    2. Right click and Run as Administrator.
    3. Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x where
      C: represents the drive letter for the hard drive change the drive letter according to your system and hit enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might
    be lost.

Method 3: Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

I suggest you refer to this article
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

download and run the troubleshooter to fix the issue with USB detection.

Method 4: uninstall USB drivers.

1. If you still face the issue and the hard drives throws the error again, you can refer the article

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend
      and check if this helps you.
    2. Reboot the computer once after the steps are completed.

Method 5: Backup your data on Linux OS.

As the drive is compatible with Linux system, I suggest you to backup your data on any Linux computer first.

Method 6: Check for hidden files.

Some Linux files that are not readable by Windows are sometimes hidden in Windows, you can follow the below steps to unhide them and access the data.

1. If you are able to read the hard drive, I suggest you to navigate to the drive partition and

unhide all the hidden folder
      and check.
    2. If you are still not able to see the data, uncheck
      Hide protected operating system files.
    3. After you have found your files, I suggest you to undo the changes.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jun 22, 2019
  3. georgetok Win User
    Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Thank you so much.

Dell system I am buying as a back has Xeon E5645 2.2 GHz & 12 GB ECC RAM

They don't offer Xeon W3680 that you suggested

So would that be good enough ?

Thanks

georgetok, Jun 22, 2019
  4. Steevo Win User

Formatting a Hard Drive that I took from a RAID-1 Linux System

Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Get the six core CPU's I listed, at 3.3Ghz per core they will more than handle any calculations you throw at them for years to come, and with matching RAM in tri channel you will have a very strong setup.

My only other suggestion is a full RAID card like the one I listed with SSD's (in RAID 1)for the OS and programs, and then a RAID 5 array for backup and any large files on the board with a offsite final backup

Steevo, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

Formatting a Hard Drive that I took from a RAID-1 Linux System

1. Formatting a Hard Drive that I took from a RAID-1 Linux System - Similar Threads - Formatting Hard Drive

2. Formatting a hard drive tooks forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting a hard drive tooks forever: Hi,I am currently working on downgrading to Windows 10, so I need to back up my files to the hard drive. Today, I was downloading the backup into the HDD, when the drive stopped working and said "The request failed due to fatal device hardware error". I was looking for some...
  3. Formatting a hard drive tooks forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting a hard drive tooks forever: Hi,I am currently working on downgrading to Windows 10, so I need to back up my files to the hard drive. Today, I was downloading the backup into the HDD, when the drive stopped working and said "The request failed due to fatal device hardware error". I was looking for some...
  4. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  5. How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to image 2 hard drives with raid 1: I am replacing old hard drives before they go bad. Hard drives are 8 years old. I have made many single hard drive images with macrium reflect but never with 2 drives and raid 1. Wanted to get some input on how to do it or point me in the right direction to find out how....
  6. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  7. 1 TB hard drive to be formatted in Fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1 TB hard drive to be formatted in Fat32: I am trying to set up this drive so I can use it to record movies too. I have windows10 and do not have an option to format the drive. I tried to use AOMEI to format the drive. I have to have the drive set up as FAT32 or it is useless to me....
  8. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  9. How to setup RAID 5 with ReFS formatted Hard Drives?

How to setup RAID 5 with ReFS formatted Hard Drives?: ​MB: Asus Z97-K ( 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports ) / CPU: G3258 / Windows 10 Pro installed on a SSD Is this an Okay/proper way of installing 4x 4Tb WD Red drives in RAID 5 - formatted ReFS 1: in "Disk Management" set the 4 drives as simple /unformatted 2: downloaded to...
  10. Raided hard drive unallocated

Raided hard drive unallocated: Hello ten forums does anyboby here can me how to fix my raided 2 hard drive without losing any data.. i encounter this. when i open my mycomputer i cannot read my hard drive and my raided drive in device manager was this. look at the picture 5%x Anybody here can...