Windows 10: Formatting a laptop

Discus and support Formatting a laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been asked to sort out a laptop for a client. It current has Windows 7 on it and GWR is offering to upgrade to WIndows 10. However there are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by swarfega, May 29, 2016.

1. swarfega Win User

Formatting a laptop

I have been asked to sort out a laptop for a client.

It current has Windows 7 on it and GWR is offering to upgrade to WIndows 10. However there are two accounts on the machine. a full one under her bosses name and a restricted one for her as guest. She bought the laptop from her company so does own it.

I am wondering whether I can just clean install and use the Windows 7 key during install. If thats the case how do I get the key?

:)

swarfega, May 29, 2016

2. Reset Lock code on Nokia E71?

why do I format lock code nokia e71

out how to do?

formatting, May 29, 2016
  3. daveabley Win User
    Attempting to Format Laptop

I am having an issue attempting to format my laptop.

When I try to format pc I get half way through the format process and then I get problem with process no changes have been made message.

Running windows 10.

Thanks

daveabley, May 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Formatting a laptop

dalchina, May 29, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 29, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Is there an issue if it's an enterprise license? (Note: bought from company).

dalchina, May 29, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, there would be a big issue. Enterprise can not be upgraded to consumer editions of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2016
  8. swarfega Win User

Formatting a laptop

The problem I'm having is that we don't know the password for the boss's account and UAC pops up when you run showkey. So I'm not sure how to obtain the key.

swarfega, May 29, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is Windows 7, there should be a Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it with the edition of Windows 7 printed on it and the product key. Some people have posted that the COA sticker might be under the battery, but I've never personally seen one located there.

Another issue if the laptop is going to be continued to be used for work is whether or not it is joined to a domain on the business network.

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    Its now a private machine and she doesnt owrk there any more so I'm guessing not.

swarfega, May 29, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    erm its actually got Windows 8 on it. Not sure if that makes a difference. I know that there are fewer issues when upgrading from Windows 8. i am tempted to run the upgrader offer and then clean install afterwards.

swarfega, May 29, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Boot it from Kyhi's rescue disk and run showkey plus from that. That will tell you what the product key is stored in bios and what edition of Windows it is for:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

If you start with a clean install for the same version of Windows 10 as the Windows 8 product key in bios is for, it won't even ask you to enter a product key - it will just use the one in bios. For a clean install you can mount a Windows 10 ISO or insert a Windows 10 USB or DVD with Kyhi's Recovery running and just run setup.exe from it.

Or see my quoted note at the bottom of the link for Kyhi's recovery drive opening post.

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2016
  13. swarfega Win User

Formatting a laptop

Unfortunately none of those links work for me.

swarfega, May 29, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm waiting for the ISO to finish downloading from the Download Mirror link as I am posting this.

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2016
  15. swarfega Win User
    Ive just burnt the image to cd so the OneDrive links work.

swarfega, May 29, 2016
Thema:

Formatting a laptop

1. Formatting a laptop - Similar Threads - Formatting laptop

2. 512GB SDXC card format when used to increase the internal storage of my Laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    512GB SDXC card format when used to increase the internal storage of my Laptop?: Can someone talk me through whether I should format a 512GB SDXC card, purchased to increase the internal storage of my Laptop only, with FAT32, exFAT or NTFS format?...
  3. 512GB SDXC card format when used to increase the internal storage of my Laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    512GB SDXC card format when used to increase the internal storage of my Laptop?: Can someone talk me through whether I should format a 512GB SDXC card, purchased to increase the internal storage of my Laptop only, with FAT32, exFAT or NTFS format?...
  4. How can we track my laptop if theif format my laptop that is hp victus and turn of find my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can we track my laptop if theif format my laptop that is hp victus and turn of find my...: How can we track my laptop if theif format my laptop that is hp victus and turn of find my device and also it's location? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-track-my-laptop-if-theif-format-my/02d2b9c7-436a-42eb-b8e6-a7923ca665f7
  5. How can we track my laptop if theif format my laptop that is hp victus and turn of find my...

How can we track my laptop if theif format my laptop that is hp victus and turn of find my...: How can we track my laptop if theif format my laptop that is hp victus and turn of find my device and also it's location? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-we-track-my-laptop-if-theif-format-my/02d2b9c7-436a-42eb-b8e6-a7923ca665f7
  6. I just formatted my laptop but the wifi driver won't load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just formatted my laptop but the wifi driver won't load: Actually I will tell everything,I just fresh boot my laptop to make it run faster ,by using a usb ,then everything was ok and when windows 11 loaded it went to the page where it ask to connect wifi to continue but I discovered that no wifi of nearby was showing in list to...
  7. I just formatted my laptop but the wifi driver won't load

I just formatted my laptop but the wifi driver won't load: Actually I will tell everything,I just fresh boot my laptop to make it run faster ,by using a usb ,then everything was ok and when windows 11 loaded it went to the page where it ask to connect wifi to continue but I discovered that no wifi of nearby was showing in list to...
  8. Laptop in s mode, i formated it 5 times and nothing.

Laptop in s mode, i formated it 5 times and nothing.: So i have this laptop and its stuck in s mode, wifi is not working because it needs a driver but s mode does not allow to install it, so what can i do? Ill explain againLaptop in s modeTo exit s mode u need wi fiTo get wi fi u need a driverS mode does not allow to install...
  9. Laptop in s mode, i formated it 5 times and nothing.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Laptop in s mode, i formated it 5 times and nothing.: So i have this laptop and its stuck in s mode, wifi is not working because it needs a driver but s mode does not allow to install it, so what can i do? Ill explain againLaptop in s modeTo exit s mode u need wi fiTo get wi fi u need a driverS mode does not allow to install...
  10. Laptop in s mode, i formated it 5 times and nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming