Windows 10: Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?

Discus and support Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI, I need to format two 6TB hdd as mirrored disks. These disks are not used as OS, just for data. The disk manager goves me an error message: "The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Reinhard_DK, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?

HI,

I need to format two 6TB hdd as mirrored disks. These disks are not used as OS, just for data.

The disk manager goves me an error message: "The action is not possible for the object". I can only format it as simple disk or as minimized disk.
    I am using several mirrored disks up to 5TB and never had a problem in formating them.

My PC: Dell XPS8300. Windows 10 Pro; Icy Box with USB3 connection.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong here?

Thanks in advance

:)

Reinhard_DK, Jan 20, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?

No need to use third party partition. Open Admin command prompt:
    1. Diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. ========>Take a note of disk numder for the 6TB drive
    4. select disk # ====> # from step 3
    5. Clean
    6. Exit
    7. Open disk management. A windows popup. Select GPT to initialize.

topgundcp, Jan 20, 2019
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jan 20, 2019
  4. petrula Win User

Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?

How Long to Full Format a 6TB Drive?

I finally found an answer to my original question.

When HGST Technical Support was in San Jose, California, the engineers were extremely knowledgeable. Unfortunately, after Western Digital acquired HGST, HGST technical support was moved to the
    Dominican Republic. They seem unfamiliar with their hard drives. For example, I phoned about a HGST Deskstar NAS 6TB drive. The support person told me they did not have such a product. How can you not know about your own products.
    Ugh

I then emailed asking, "Using the Windows 10 Disk Management snap-in with Full Format (Not Quick Format), how long does it take to format a HGST
    Deskstar NAS 6TB drive?" They replied to say a few hours. Obviously, a wrong answer.

I phoned their competitor - Seagate. The Seagate engineer was located in California. He knew the answer immediately. He was very knowledgeable about this question and several others.

Around 12 hours / 1 TB, so 6TB is ~72 hours (3 days)

He also said that for their archive drives, Google does a Full Format for all their new hard drives. So even though the OS will auto mark bad sectors as it encounters errors, doing a Full Format is a more thorough verification according to Seagate.

It turns out that the motherboard SATA port which I was using had a read/write hardware issue. This explains the reason for the slow formatting of my new drive as you originally suggested.

Thank you for your help.

petrula, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?

1. Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible? - Similar Threads - Formatting mirrored 6TB

2. Cannot create mirrored disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create mirrored disks: I need to mirror two 2TB drives, including the C: drive with Windows. Neither Disk Management nor Storage Places provide any solutions. In Disk Management, right clicking Disk 1 shows most options grayed out, including New Spanned Volume..., New Striped Volume... and no...
  3. Disk Mirror - Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Mirror - Backup: I have a question I want to mirror the primary C: drive using another internal SSD using the disk management tool. I want to have an exact mirror Is this recommended or should I image or clone the drive using an external HDD. Second question is the mirror two way or one way?...
  4. random disk mirror fail?

random disk mirror fail?: hi, ive had two hdds mirrored for about a year. yesterday i was doing something and randomly right clicked on the start button. ive use win10 since it was released and i just realized that gives you options to open all kinds somewhat hidden menus like the disk management...
  5. Is 6TB enough to backup 6TB?

Is 6TB enough to backup 6TB?: Hello. This may be a dumb question but... I have a 1TB SSD and 5TB hard drive in my desktop pc. I want to back up everything. All my data, all my files, etc. I plan on running the backup nightly or at least a couple times per week. I'm looking at the WD black hard drive, but...
  6. Is it possible to format a hard disk that Windows 10 does not recognize?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to format a hard disk that Windows 10 does not recognize?: So the hard disk is shown in the device manager as "Unknown USB device". Since it no longer works properly I want to format it. Is that possible? Kann man eine Festplatte formatieren die Windows 10 nicht erkennt?
  7. disk format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk format: disk default format on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-format/e7bc66a4-5d63-4dc7-b550-44aee6cb79fe
  8. Formatting a Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Disk: I have installed a new 1 TB Hard Drive in my Dell Vostro 230 Desktop computer. I went to format it for first use but I wouldn't format because it is listed as a "System Disk" I cannot save anything to it, I tried to format it using DISKPART in the command prompt as an...
  9. Windows10 Disk Mirroring Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10 Disk Mirroring Issue: Dear Team Greetings from Hilton Luxor environment!!! Can you please help me for the below error message as I am trying to configure Windows10 PC to a mirror disk. The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID and is...
  10. 4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?: The reason for my question is as follows. I had a 4TB Samsung D3 Station external disk that suddenly stopped working. I determined that the problem must have been with the external enclosure and I therefore bought a replacement. Upon trying to connect the drive Hard Disk...