Windows 10: formatting a new usb flash drive

Discus and support formatting a new usb flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ken miller 977, Nov 4, 2020.

1. formatting a new usb flash drive

What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem so I can reformat it and reuse it?

Thanks for your help

Ken,

:)

ken miller 977, Nov 4, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 4, 2020
  3. mikel33 Win User
    USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Nov 4, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

formatting a new usb flash drive

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

formatting a new usb flash drive

1. formatting a new usb flash drive - Similar Threads - formatting usb flash

2. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  3. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  4. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  6. USB Flash drive not able to format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive not able to format: Hi there, I'm having a problem that my USB drive is not formatting. Whenever I format it, it gives me write-protection error. I tried to format it in my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 to see if there was an issue with Windows 10/my PC but of no luck. I also tried removing...
  7. Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay: How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-usb-flash-drive-for-autoplay/e5ad6acc-dbef-48c9-a40e-290cc7526927
  8. Completely format bootable USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely format bootable USB flash drive: Hi How to completely format a bootable USB flash drive because I found there's a partition on the flash drive named "UEFI_NTFS" (EFI > Boot & Rufus folders with .efi files inside) that cannot be formatted. My other bootable USB with MBR partition can be fully formatted. I...
  9. format the USB flash

format the USB flash: When I entered my flash, I got massage this USB need to format before its used, when I tried to format, the computer or windows was unable to format please note that my windows is 10...
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...