Windows 10: Formatting a new Western Digital HDD in Windows 10 with a USB 3.0 Docking Station

Discus and support Formatting a new Western Digital HDD in Windows 10 with a USB 3.0 Docking Station in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been unsuccessfully trying to format a couple of new Western Digital HDD using a couple of different USB 3.0 docking stations. I can see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkLarson5, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Formatting a new Western Digital HDD in Windows 10 with a USB 3.0 Docking Station

I have been unsuccessfully trying to format a couple of new Western Digital HDD using a couple of different USB 3.0 docking stations. I can see the disc in Disc Management but it is not recognized in Windows Explorer. I have tried both device setups but it still will not recognized in Explorer so I cannot move on to formatting. I have tried on several different computers. Sometimes I get a message saying JMicron SCSI device. These will be outboard data discs mostly, but I want to use one 4-TB HDD as a replacement inboard second data-only drive on a desktop machine. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Thank you very much!

:)

MarkLarson5, Jan 28, 2021

2. Windows 10 and Sabrent docking station not reading Western Digital hard drive

I just purchased a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 and a Sabrent docking station to transfer my files off my Western Digital harddrive.

It was recognized at first and I copied over several files however when I tried to access the My Documents folder on the WD harddrive it stopped working and I cannot get Windows 10 to show the external drive in Explorer.

When I go to Device Manager it shows the Sabrent Docking station and says it is working properly but is not showing the WD drive information.

I need help please.

LynnCordon, Jan 28, 2021
  3. internal drive in docking station doesn't show up on computer

I have a new western digital black 1TB internal drive (WD 1003FZEX) that I planned to use in a blacx docking station. It is plugged in via USB.

Nothing happens when I plug it in or turn it on. I have checked under device manager and it doesn't show up. I had an older maxtor drive that I tried in the same docking station and that showed up so I formatted it - now that won't show up either.
    Is this drive not meant to work in a docking station? Are there different types of docking stations and I could have the wrong one?

jimnaklick, Jan 28, 2021
  4. marks1964 Win User

Formatting a new Western Digital HDD in Windows 10 with a USB 3.0 Docking Station

internal drive in docking station doesn't show up on computer

Hi,

If the WD Black and the Maxtor drives (when inserted into the docking station) can be fully formatted and work properly when connected to the other PC, it sounds like
    Windows is the problem.

Try the following:

• Insert the WD Black drive into the docking station
    • Connect the USB cable to the new PC
    • Turn on the power to the docking station
    • Then restart the PC
    • Then check it again

If Windows has a problem reading HDD while it is in the docking station, doing this sometimes fixes it.

If this does not work, leave everything as above and shut down the PC for 1 minute, boot the PC and check it again.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Kind regards,

Mark

marks1964, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

Formatting a new Western Digital HDD in Windows 10 with a USB 3.0 Docking Station

1. Formatting a new Western Digital HDD in Windows 10 with a USB 3.0 Docking Station - Similar Threads - Formatting Western Digital

2. Docking Station

in Windows 10 Customization
    Docking Station: I have a Laptop that connects to a docking station via USB. I have 2 monitors and the laptop. When I disconnect the laptop from the docking station, all the open windows goes onto my laptop. When I connect my laptop back to the docking station. The windows stay on my laptop....
  3. Docking Stations on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Docking Stations on Windows 10: Hello, I have some old HDDs and I want to buy a docking station to connect them as external. I would like to ask: If the HDDs are infected with virus, can my System (Windows 10) be infected as well? Should I use Virtual Machine to explore my old HDDs? If this post is...
  4. USB on docking station

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB on docking station: I have a Surface 3. The USB ports are not recognised when the Surface is docked and the power supply is turned off, though they work fine when the power supply is on. Can someone tell me how to change this so that they are still recognised when the Surface is docked, but no...
  5. all in one hdd docking station

all in one hdd docking station: my laptop windows 10 doesn't see it when connected. I only want to view files! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-in-one-hdd-docking-station/1c1fe202-2f14-47fc-b1b7-ee254a5bbd8e
  6. Windows 10 and Sabrent docking station not reading Western Digital hard drive

Windows 10 and Sabrent docking station not reading Western Digital hard drive: I just purchased a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 and a Sabrent docking station to transfer my files off my Western Digital harddrive. It was recognized at first and I copied over several files however when I tried to access the My Documents folder on the WD harddrive it stopped...
  7. Orico 2.5/3.5 usb #.0 HDD Docking Station adn Windows 10 Driver issue. Device is tool...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Orico 2.5/3.5 usb #.0 HDD Docking Station adn Windows 10 Driver issue. Device is tool...: Hi Everyone i bought a docking Station as i am already running out of Storage and Sata Connection on my Board. i tried Orico 6619us3 its a single HDD docking Station. it's detected by windows 10 but shows as an External Drive Name NS1068 Device details are unavailable...
  8. Surface Pro 3 Docking Station ports

Surface Pro 3 Docking Station ports: Since one of the Windows 10 updates the Ethernet and Bluetooth on the docking station are no longer seen as devices and cannot be used. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-3-docking-station-ports/14e09b77-f6d2-4d4d-aeb3-0fe03d05c8a1
  9. Using 3 monitors with Docking Station

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Using 3 monitors with Docking Station: Hello, I have a user set up on a Windows 10 laptop. They are utilizing a docking station and when it is hooked up, we have to adjust the display so they can use the laptop with 2 additional monitors. We have to change the second monitor to "Extend this display". When they...
  10. Using 3 monitors with Docking Station

in Windows 10 Support
    Using 3 monitors with Docking Station: Hello, I have a user set up on a Windows 10 laptop. They are utilizing a docking station and when it is hooked up, we have to adjust the display so they can use the laptop with 2 additional monitors. We have to change the second monitor to "Extend this display". When they...