Windows 10: Formatting a partition

Discus and support Formatting a partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive. In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jwblue, Mar 11, 2019.

1. jwblue Win User

Formatting a partition

Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive.

In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery files will the rest of the hard drive be left alone?

:)

jwblue, Mar 11, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Mar 11, 2019
  3. DeNeDe Win User
    HDD partitions format

Used a tool from the list and it worked..
    Install won't start if windows can't recognize the partitions.

DeNeDe, Mar 11, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

Formatting a partition

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Formatting a partition

1. Formatting a partition - Similar Threads - Formatting partition

2. Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage...: Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage settings are set to AHCI instead of RAID?The question is for Windows 10 and 11I am using a laptop.In the past, I have had drives where I could partition it using the Windows built in disk...
  3. Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage...: Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage settings are set to AHCI instead of RAID?The question is for Windows 10 and 11I am using a laptop.In the past, I have had drives where I could partition it using the Windows built in disk...
  4. Can I still partition and format my internal and external drives if my BIOS storage...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 'Windows could not format a partition' when installing

'Windows could not format a partition' when installing: I corrupted my main partition so I'm reinstalling Windows 7 from an ISO burned to a flash drive in Rufus. I clicked 'Custom' then the main partition, and saw 'Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing a partition selected for...
  6. 'Windows could not format a partition' when installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Windows could not format a partition' when installing: I corrupted my main partition so I'm reinstalling Windows 7 from an ISO burned to a flash drive in Rufus. I clicked 'Custom' then the main partition, and saw 'Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing a partition selected for...
  7. why can't format partitions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't format partitions?: I am in the middle of reinstalling windows with media tool on usb. There's the question where do you want to install windows, I cna choose my ssd that's OK, but I want to clear and format my hdd but doesn't let me do it....
  8. why can't format partitions?

why can't format partitions?: I am in the middle of reinstalling windows with media tool on usb. There's the question where do you want to install windows, I cna choose my ssd that's OK, but I want to clear and format my hdd but doesn't let me do it....
  9. Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...: Hey everyone! I accidentally formatted my EFI partition and I need help restoring the windows boot manager. I'm currently dual booting arch & windows using systemd-boot I've followed this guide...
  10. Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...

Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...: Hey everyone! I accidentally formatted my EFI partition and I need help restoring the windows boot manager. I'm currently dual booting arch & windows using systemd-boot I've followed this guide...