Windows 10: Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing?

Discus and support Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello friends and win10 gurus. This is my first time using win10pro Disk Manager. My interface is not showing the MBR and other normal options in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Audiogical, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing?

Hello friends and win10 gurus. This is my first time using win10pro Disk Manager.

My interface is not showing the MBR and other normal options in the drop menus, when

attempting to format an unallocated drive. The drive shows in Bios and disk manager,

yet the only right-click options available are to format for GPT. I was advised this is only

for 2TB or larger drives, yet mine is barely a terabyte.

All the normal options seem greyed-out, so not sure how to proceed.

Here are the right-click options shown in both diskmanager gui fields

Disk '1', bottom section:

Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? 2335cd22-16d9-4b06-8d04-b29095b8009c?upload=true.png

And:

Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? 1248a854-21f4-4da7-ba41-d375ea3b80f7?upload=true.png

Thanks very much everyone for your expertise!

S.

:)

Audiogical, Dec 7, 2020
  2. dopefish9 Win User

Secondary HDD not found by Optimize and Defrag

Hello,

Upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago. I have a 240G primary SSD (CFormatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? :) and 1TB internal secondary HDD (EFormatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? :), plus a 1TB external USB backup drive (JFormatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? :). I wanted to determine why the internal 1TB HDD seems to have some 'missing' space so I opened Optimize Drives.
    But Optimize Drives only lists the SSD (CFormatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? :), USB drive (JFormatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? :) and a System Reserved drive. It doesn't list the internal 1TB HDD.

So far my searches have turned up problems where extra drives aren't recognized at all, but mine works fine for everything else (I've moved Libraries there, created system images there, it shows in Explorer, etc.)

Edit: Device Manager indicates no issues with the drive. I've also right-clicked from Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize, and the list is still missing this drive.

Can anyone explain this or provide a solution?

Thank you!

Stephen

dopefish9, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Formatting secondary hdd from Windows

Check the link out below. It's really quite simple when you follow the steps. Go down the page to the title that says "Formatting a Secondary Hard Drive". Best of luck!

<Clicky>

thoughtdisorder, Dec 7, 2020
  4. Sichuan Win User

Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing?

Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned the drive letter D, which is the same drive letter as the original 500GB internal secondary drive. I don't have any problems accessing this new 1TB Drive D but I notice a problem with the drive listings in Computer Management.

I know that Drive C is the OS drive and is marked Disk 0 and that my internal secondary Drive D should be marked as Disk 1. However, the internal secondary drive is listed twice, once as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and also as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). I think I made a mistake during the initial formatting when I chose quick format and then cancelled the operation, instead selecting the full format.

I believe that my new, internal secondary drive should be marked in Computer Management as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting), which is the third listing down from the top? I don't know why is still shows as "Formatting" because when I attempt to cancel this listing it tells me that it is already formatted.

I have attached a screenshot of my Computer Management window. You can disregard "New Volume F" as this is an external 1TB drive that I use as a backup for my Drive D and also to store a redundant copy of an Acronis full backup of Drive C. I am currently transferring the information from my old 500 GB Secondary Drive D which I had previously copied to New Volume F, from the New Volume F drive to my new 1TBSecondary Drive D, the one listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition).

How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and if I remove it will the listing now shown as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) be relisted as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) or will it still be listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition)? I can't find any way to delete "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting)" and I don't know if I will cause problems by deleting it. In any event, I have an extra drive listing in Computer Management that should not be there.

I have also attached a screenshot of how these drives are listed on my computer under "This PC" in the Start Menu. I could be wrong, but I believe that my internal secondary drive should be listed as Local Disk D.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Sichuan, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing?

1. Formatting a secondary internal HDD with Win10 pro: normal options not showing? - Similar Threads - Formatting secondary internal

2. Secondary hdd drive does not show on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary hdd drive does not show on pc: Hi my secondary storage space does show up in my computer and also device manager it happened before and i got a new hdd but it has happened again please help me out here...
  3. Help with formatting internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with formatting internal HDD: I have an HP Desktop with a C: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and D:1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD.I going to install a larger SSD, clone the small SSD and use the new SSD as the boot drive. The D: drive had no data on it.However, I thought I'd test the cloning process first and cloned...
  4. Help with formatting internal HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with formatting internal HDD: I have an HP Desktop with a C: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and D:1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD.I going to install a larger SSD, clone the small SSD and use the new SSD as the boot drive. The D: drive had no data on it.However, I thought I'd test the cloning process first and cloned...
  5. Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive: Hi, I want the secondary HDD in my laptop to be recognised as removable. This way I hope that the drive can automatically spin down without ever being spun up for no apparent reason by the OS, if set to something like quick removal which should disable write caching on the...
  6. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  7. Making Laptop's Internal HDD Bootable WITHOUT FORMATTING

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making Laptop's Internal HDD Bootable WITHOUT FORMATTING: I have a SSD with bad health which is my default bootloader. I can not replace the SSD at the moment. Is it possible to make my laptop's internal HDD bootable without having to format it ?...
  8. new secondary HDD not responding to power options

new secondary HDD not responding to power options: Hi all. I got a new computer in October 2019. It's an HP Pavilion gaming desktop PC. It has a solid state drive as the primary drive and a 1 TB HDD as the secondary drive. A few weeks ago I starting noticing a light clicking noise coming from the secondary drive. I decided to...
  9. No WIn10 Pro option.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No WIn10 Pro option.: I want to try and do a fresh install and when i just did the normal reset and wipe drive clean i get a message saying "the old files couldn't be deleted" and so im not getting a clean format so was hoping using the creation tool and bootable USB may give a different result....
  10. My internal secondary HDD is still going to sleep

My internal secondary HDD is still going to sleep: It's a brand new installation of Windows 10, the updates are run and applied. I went into the power settings in the control panel and told it to not let anything go to sleep My secondary HDD is still going to sleep however. It's a Seagate 500GB on SATA 1 91137