Windows 10: formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

Discus and support formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; What is the recommended file system to format a Solid State drive for Windows 11 ?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AngelLlacuna, Dec 12, 2022.

1. formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

What is the recommended file system to format a Solid State drive for Windows 11 ?

:)

AngelLlacuna, Dec 12, 2022
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Format SSD drive or any drive

Hi Thomas

Think of a hard drive or SSD as a book . . .

A Quick Format basically deletes the contents page (File Allocation Table), whereas a Long Format will also delete all the pages (Files)

If a quick format is taking 2 hours on your SSD and you are experiencing problems with Windows, when only performing a Quick Format, then I would suggest the formatting operation is not the problem, most likely that SSD has a problem. A Quick format on that
    drive, should take approx. 10 minutes . . .

DaveM121, Dec 12, 2022
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 12, 2022
  4. formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 12, 2022
Thema:

formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

1. formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11 - Similar Threads - formatting SSD drive

2. Can't format my SSD drive and install windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format my SSD drive and install windows: I wanted to reinstall my windows system on my ssd drive but I have encountered some problem while trying to do so. I got some error while trying to format the disk or install the system. I was trying to manage the disk through DISKPART but the format was stuck on 66% i...
  3. Can't format my SSD drive and install windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't format my SSD drive and install windows: I wanted to reinstall my windows system on my ssd drive but I have encountered some problem while trying to do so. I got some error while trying to format the disk or install the system. I was trying to manage the disk through DISKPART but the format was stuck on 66% i...
  4. formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11

formatting a SSD drive for Windows 11: What is the recommended file system to format a Solid State drive for Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-ssd-drive-for-windows-11/53458dfd-4f99-4ab7-9e6b-cae1d9e04646
  5. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  6. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  7. Formating a ssd

8. Formatting SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting SSD: Hi there, when installing Windows 10 on a new SSD that has not been formatted is there a function during the installment process that allows the new SSD to formatted before installment? Thank you, Robert....
  9. SSD Formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Formatting: When attempting to format my new SSD, Disk Management will only let me convert to MBR or a Dynamic Disk, but not show me the option to format it. It doesn't have a directory name yet, and I cannot install files onto it. How can I make that happen?...
  10. Format SSD drive or any drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format SSD drive or any drive: Hello, When I perform a quick format of my SSD drive then I experienced problems/conflicts when I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD drive afterwards compared to a slow(deep) format of my SSD drive! When I do a slow format of my SSD drive then I experience no...