Windows 10: Formatting a Thumb Drive

Discus and support Formatting a Thumb Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JamesMonfort, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Formatting a Thumb Drive

Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see where the Thumb Drive is.

This would also be an issue if I want to transfer files from my laptop to the Thumb Drive.

:)

JamesMonfort, Jan 8, 2021
  2. VinceB Win User

Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

Hi:

I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive.

I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say that only 28 GB space is available; so I want to do one of the following to a new thumb drive, whichever is needed:

1. Remove the encryption files from the thumb drive to allow full 32 GB available storage space.
    2. Format the new 32GB drive with the proper file system, when prompted to select either NTFS or FAT in File Manager.

Thus, my desire to identify which type of file system is presently used on the thumb drive that plays MP3 in my car. Note: that thumb drive also has the (defaulted) ScanDisk's encryption files. If I am not mistaken, reformatting a thumb drive would remove any ScanDisk encryption files. But, I do not know which file system to use for MP3 files.

Thanks for reading this. TIA for suggestions/comments.

VinceB, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Can a thumb drive be disabled by malware?

There are quite a few possibilities to what happened to your thumb drive:

1. It might be a simple issue where the partition got corrupted: In this case you can go to Computer Management > Disk Management> and check out what partition your thumb drive currently has. If it currently is in RAW format or is just unallocated, I suggest you unallocate the entire drive and make a new partition. It's possible that you can recover upto 99% of your files with a tool like EaseUS DataRecovery Wizard Pro.
    2. The malware corrupted your thumb drive's firmware: The malware that your thumb drive may have encountered may be similar to something like BadUSB. It may or may not have modified your drive's firmware to transmit malware, but in any case your thumb drive's pretty dead, and there's not much you can do about it.

Don't Root here plz..., Jan 8, 2021
  4. Formatting a Thumb Drive

Kingston thumb drive format

How do I format a usb thumb drive for music? Kingston Data Traveler, Windows 10

RevcocoSmith, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Formatting a Thumb Drive

1. Formatting a Thumb Drive - Similar Threads - Formatting Thumb Drive

2. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  3. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  5. I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected: Hi,I used every possible way to format my thumb drivemy thumb drive doesn't have protection switch slider:1. format through file explorer:It did not work.2. diskpart:DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0...
  6. I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected

I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected: Hi,I used every possible way to format my thumb drivemy thumb drive doesn't have protection switch slider:1. format through file explorer:It did not work.2. diskpart:DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0...
  7. Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format: Hi: I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive. I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say...
  8. Thumb Drives

Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  9. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive: I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on. partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32. partition two is 1921.87 GB and I cannot get it to format. I've tried formatting it as NTFS and exFAT and neither works. The Disk Management app reports:...
  10. thumb drives

thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165