Windows 10: Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

Discus and support Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey all, I know that it is advised that one should not format a SSD without the Quick Format option enabled. However I want to start with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregH, Aug 27, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

Hey all,

I know that it is advised that one should not format a SSD without the Quick Format option enabled.

However I want to start with a completely clean SSD. This is not my C drive (Windows 10) but rather a second SSD used for certain applications. Question is, will doing this degrade the SSD's performance (i.e. speed and efficiency) or only theoretically reduce it's lifespan by one read/write process?

Thanks in advance.

:)

GregH, Aug 27, 2015

2. SSD Recommended by Microsoft for Windows 10? >> [MICROSOFT SUPPORT IS UNABLE TO ANSWER]

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

-Is the SSD your system drive or is it blank?

-If not you system drive, was it formatted (quick format)?

It will not show in Computer unless formatted.

Note:

Solid state drives with proper connectors internally or external will work, unless formatted properly before the first use or if it is not damaged physically.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Akheel Ahmed, Aug 27, 2015
  3. hsd91 Win User
    Problem using both SSD and HDD on Windows 10

I wanted to upgrade to an SSD for Windows and programs, and use my old HDD for file storage.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD. The HDD was removed from the computer while I installed Windows. I booted up, installed a bunch of programs on the SSD, then turned the PC off. Then I reinstalled the old HDD. Windows did not recognize it
    at first, so I ran the troubleshooting tool, installed updates, and then Windows recognized it. Then I did a full non-quick format of the HDD followed by another quick format.

Now the HDD is showing 208 MB of used space after formatting. When I go to Disk Management, it shows System Reserved (D: ) is in the HDD.

Everything else is on the SSD (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

hsd91, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

This process will degrade the performance of your SSD. Unlike hard drives where new information is written directly over old information with no decline in speed. SSD's are blazingly fast when writing to empty NAND. However if there is no empty NAND available the SSD process changes to a two-step approach where the NAND has to be "cleaned" and then written to. This slows down the SSD considerably. (The trim command under the windows optimize function essentially identifies the old, not needed, information and assists the SSD in pre-cleaning the NAND's so that the SSD can operate at full speed).
    The only way to completely clean SSD is through a process known as secure erase. It essentially provides a blank SSD to write on. Formatting is nothing like that and a quick format essentially clears the record of the information that is written on an SSD so that Windows can treat it like a blank SSD, but the SSD still has to go through the two-step process. The NAND's are still full of old information and are effectively cleaned during periods of non-activity. A full format on the other hand will effectively write on every single NAND completely filling the SSD. If you want to start off with a clean fast SSD, use the manufacturers software and/or other generic software designed to secure erase the SSD.

Snakeyes, Aug 27, 2015
  5. GregH Win User
    Thanks Snakeyes, appreciate the detailed response, makes sense. Will check what SSD software is available for my disc.

GregH, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Snakeyes Win User
    Post the name of your SSD and I might be able to help you find the appropriate software.

Snakeyes, Aug 27, 2015
  7. GregH Win User
    I've got two SSD's:
    Samsung Evo840 500GB - C: with Windows 10 Pro already installed
    Sandisk Ultra Plus 250GB - F: needs a 'clean'

I do Have Samsung Magician for the EVO840 but the Sandisc never came with software as far as I can remember.

I also have a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD drive but I guess these are just taken care of thru Windows?

Thanks!

GregH, Aug 28, 2015
  8. Snakeyes Win User

Snakeyes, Aug 28, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    You might find this article useful.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option - Similar Threads - Formatting SSD without

2. Ssd wont format

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ssd wont format: Pls help me when i am installing windows i try to format my ssd drive but it wont format and when i use the clean cmd it comes back to its original state.like it was before the clean cmd i was reinstalling windows due to some errorsoriginal i mean like i was reinstalling...
  3. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  4. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  5. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Formatting SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting SSD: Hi there, when installing Windows 10 on a new SSD that has not been formatted is there a function during the installment process that allows the new SSD to formatted before installment? Thank you, Robert....
  7. A format that made Quick access Useful

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A format that made Quick access Useful: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/amritcrome [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fz7wbv/a_format_that_made_quick_access_useful/
  8. SSD Formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Formatting: When attempting to format my new SSD, Disk Management will only let me convert to MBR or a Dynamic Disk, but not show me the option to format it. It doesn't have a directory name yet, and I cannot install files onto it. How can I make that happen?...
  9. Paste without formatting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paste without formatting: In Thunderbird, I can CTRL-SHIFT-V and it will paste the text in my clipboard into a message without formatting. How to do this in Mail? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paste-without-formatting/68e2e466-6faf-4d41-83cf-077e19176b17
  10. Difference between Format and quick format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difference between Format and quick format: Question: Does selecting format, not Quick Format, write over the drive with some algorithms or just the FAT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-format-and-quick-format/6de9cae2-54e1-4556-9a96-499db743641a