Windows 10: Formatting and reinstalling Windows from a Windows 10-Ubuntu Dual boot system

Discus and support Formatting and reinstalling Windows from a Windows 10-Ubuntu Dual boot system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a dual boot system with windows 10 and Ubuntu 19.04. I had gotten a recovery USB drive made at the time of purchase of the system. If I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sneaky-beaver, May 26, 2019.

1. Formatting and reinstalling Windows from a Windows 10-Ubuntu Dual boot system

I have a dual boot system with windows 10 and Ubuntu 19.04. I had gotten a recovery USB drive made at the time of purchase of the system.

If I try to format and reinstall a fresh copy of windows will it affect my Ubuntu install? How do I format just the Windows part of my system.

:)

sneaky-beaver, May 26, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, May 26, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Formatting a dual boot system with windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can easily format a hard drive or a partition by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, May 26, 2019
  4. Darshan J Win User

Formatting and reinstalling Windows from a Windows 10-Ubuntu Dual boot system

Issues upgrading Windows 8.1 to 10 on a dual boot laptop with Ubuntu

Hello George,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Yes, dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows is very sensitive in order of things.

Windows OS should be installed first, because its boot loader is very particular and the installer tends to overwrite the entire hard drive.

GRUB is the boot manager installed in Ubuntu by default. GRUB is an open source boot manager that install the main parts of the boot loaders inside Ubuntu. This means Ubuntu is independent and avoids any need for writing to other
    operating systems

So the best way to resolve this issue as rightly suggested in the initial post i.e.:
    remove the partition with Ubuntu and make Windows a primary, reinstall Ubuntu and Grub.

We regret the inconvenience caused on the applications that you will have to reload. Suggest you to back up of any important data present in Ubuntu before reinstalling it.

Get back to us if you require more clarity on the issue.

Darshan J, May 26, 2019
Thema:

Formatting and reinstalling Windows from a Windows 10-Ubuntu Dual boot system

1. Formatting and reinstalling Windows from a Windows 10-Ubuntu Dual boot system - Similar Threads - Formatting reinstalling Ubuntu

2. Recover/reset/reinstall windows from Ubuntu dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover/reset/reinstall windows from Ubuntu dual boot system: Hi Somehow the windows is not starting. Always taking to the recovery options. I am on a dual booted system with Linux Ubutnu20.04. Please tell me how can I get the windows back without using any bootable USB. Because I tried and the USB got corrupted....
  3. Dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu

Dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu: Hi I've got Windows 10 and Ubuntu. My problem is that if I choose Ubuntu as default OS I can choose between Ubuntu and Windows but if I choose Windows as default OS I have no choice. I remember that some time ago I could choose OS from some blue menu. How to deal with this...
  4. Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot: Hi, I resize and moved partition where my windows boot was. Now I am unable to boot windows. Please help. Also, I would like to know the technical details of what happens and why it does not work. Thanks a lot! submitted by /u/last_iteration [link] [comments]...
  5. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  6. Reinstalling windows from a dual booted system?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling windows from a dual booted system?: There is a button in windows settings that allows you to reset your windows? Will this affect my ubuntu partion in any way?? submitted by /u/Nicknotname2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hl63ed/reinstalling_windows_from_a_dual_booted_system/
  7. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  8. Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18

Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18: Hi there I tried to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on a Dell XPS laptop. Originally it had Win10. After partitioning and installing Ubuntu, Windows now no longer booting. "no accessible boot device" I tried to change many settings in BIOS: SATA: AHCI UEFI...
  9. How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?: Hi I want to dual boot ubuntu with windows. It seems i need to unlock some settings in windows 10 to dual boot ubuntu. What settings do i need to unlock? After installation, i always want windows to boot by default, i don't choose option. Not linux....
  10. Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04

Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04: Hi, I've just built my desktop and I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04. I've already partitioned my hard drive, and installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04, but I'm trying to get to a place where I can choose what OS to start whenever I turn on my...