Windows 10: Formatting External hard drive

Discus and support Formatting External hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to reformat an external hard drive I own, when I go to disk management and right click the drive their is no format option. Not like it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vet_Tech15, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Formatting External hard drive

Hi,

I'm trying to reformat an external hard drive I own, when I go to disk management and right click the drive their is no format option. Not like it is grayed out and cannot click on it, it just isn't there. Anyone have any suggestions?

:)

Vet_Tech15, Jan 3, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jan 3, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Formatting External hard drive

saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Formatting External hard drive

1. Formatting External hard drive - Similar Threads - Formatting External hard

2. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  3. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  4. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HELP! External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HELP! External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  6. External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  7. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  8. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  9. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/78657fa9-d525-422d-a53a-44d4f459d0b4"
  10. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/676453e3-53ed-4bef-9bdc-b6aa6e9d8ccd"