Windows 10: Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

Discus and support Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on. partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32. partition two is 1921.87 GB and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by timc_flaclw, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on.

partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32.

partition two is 1921.87 GB and I cannot get it to format.

I've tried formatting it as NTFS and exFAT and neither works.

The Disk Management app reports:

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive d2084802-6e19-45d9-9d8d-6e29848e1537?upload=true.png

I'm getting the following message in the system log:

A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume N:.

A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference number is 0x5000000000005. The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>". The corrupted index attribute is ":$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION".

If I delete the partitions and create one partition it formats without any issues.

Any ideas????

:)

timc_flaclw, Dec 10, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Dec 10, 2018
  4. parelem Win User

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

bootable USB drive?

in dos:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # //where # = your usb drive
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    set active
    format fs=fat32 label="whatever"

parelem, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

1. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive - Similar Threads - Formatting multiple partitions

2. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  3. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  6. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  7. Thumb drive partition

Thumb drive partition: I purchased a 1TB thumb drive. I want to partition this thumb drive, just using the tools in windows 10. How do I go about doing this? It has been so long ago since I did something this, I have totally forgotten how. Thanks in advance. 182676
  8. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  9. Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format: Hi: I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive. I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say...
  10. USB thumb drives

USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...