Windows 10: Formatting of a disk with 2 old partitions

Discus and support Formatting of a disk with 2 old partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I have an old hard drive taken out from a Windows XP computer. The hard drive has 2 partions: one with system and all other files (docs, users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Theo_40, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Theo_40 Win User

Formatting of a disk with 2 old partitions

Hi all,

I have an old hard drive taken out from a Windows XP computer. The hard drive has 2 partions: one with system and all other files (docs, users and so on )and another partion which was a recovery part of the same drive. Now I want to format the whole disk and scratch all the data on the disk. I'm using Windows 10 and the hard drive is connected with the external cabinet. I want to create one partion. Currently the partions are called HP_PAVILION (formatted NFTS) and HP_RECOVERY (formatted FAT32). The partitions have been assigned letters H and G, respectively, in Windows 10 by file explorer.

Shortly: how to format the disk and create only one partion?

Regards

Theo

:)

Theo_40, Nov 14, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Hard disk partitioning

Step 1: Connect the external drive and make sure it is powered on.

Step 2: press Windows key + X then click Disk Management

Step 3: You will see the external drive listed in Disk Managment.

Right click each partition, starting from the extreme right, then click Delete.

You should only see one unallocated drive

After all are deleted, right click it then click Format

This will start a wizard

Choose NTFS for the file system then label it then click Next to begin the format.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 14, 2018
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Formatting of a disk with 2 old partitions - Similar Threads - Formatting disk old

2. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  3. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  4. BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while formatting disk partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED while formatting disk partition: Hello,I always encounter this BSOD Kmode exception not handled when I do something with my disk, specifically, when I try to format a partition disk for it is RAW. I already tried updating my drivers but the problem persists. I tried using BlueScreenView to figure out the...
  5. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  6. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  7. Format Entire Hard Disk into Extended Partition

Format Entire Hard Disk into Extended Partition: Hi. I have a laptop with an SSD and a Hard disk (1 Tb) - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Version 20H2 Build 19042.867 Both are GPT I would like to convert the ENTIRE HARD DISK ONLY into an Extended Partition with 6 or more logical drives. I was able to do this on my other...
  8. Create and format hard disk partitions

Create and format hard disk partitions: I am attempting to set up a new SSD and I cannot open the "create and format hard disk partitions" program. every time I try, the cursor changes to loading for a second then nothing happens....
  9. Cannot format old windows partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot format old windows partition: I installed windows in another partition and now I want to format my C drive (old windows drive). How do I do it and also is it safe to do it? submitted by /u/ap00rv_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jbpqj3/cannot_format_old_windows_partition/
  10. can't format disk reads as primary partition

can't format disk reads as primary partition: i reinstalled windows 10 and when back in windows i noticed the other ssd that i had windows on that i formated wouldnt let go of the partitions look picture -> http://prntscr.com/lax1nc want the whole ssd formated and ready for use again. 120535

Users found this page by searching for:

1. formatting old hdd partions