Windows 10: Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

Discus and support Formatting/partitioning an external HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert:-, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Robert:- Win User

Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots. Thanks for any helpful hints!CheersRobert

:)

Robert:-, Feb 16, 2022
  2. jimbo45 Win User

External HDD needs format

Hi there @menu

from Windows command mode

1) Diskpart
    2) list Disk
    3) select disk <disk4> I think it would be in your case
    4) clean
    5) convert gpt (optional step but I prefer gpt HDD's these days even just for data disks)
    6) create partition primary
    7) format fs=ntfs quick
    8) assign
    9) exit

now you should have HDD ready for use and assigned a disk letter.

you don't need to create an efi partition for this disk either.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2022
  3. DeNeDe Win User
    HDD partitions format

Used a tool from the list and it worked..
    Install won't start if windows can't recognize the partitions.

DeNeDe, Feb 16, 2022
  4. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 16, 2022
Thema:

Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

1. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD - Similar Threads - Formatting partitioning external

2. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  3. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  4. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  5. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  6. Restore previous partitions of external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore previous partitions of external HDD: My windows 10 crashed while my external hard drive was running. When I rebooted it deleted all the partitions on external drive and created a single new partition. How to revert this and restore the data from it?...
  7. Format external hdd with two operating systems

Format external hdd with two operating systems: I have a hdd on a docking station that's connected to desktop via usb, and the hdd has two OS's on it (Windows 10 and Linux Mint). What's the best way to reformat the hdd completely? Thanks! 170917
  8. Formatting multi partition HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting multi partition HDD: Hey I have just removed an 2.5" 500gb hdd from my old broken xbox one. I want to use it as spare portable hdd, for which I have a 3.0 USB HDD case. I would like to format the HDD with windows disk managment or any other HDD mangament tools (like AOMEI Partition Manager) but...
  9. External HDD needs format

External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  10. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402