Windows 10: Found incompatible device - Edirol PCR500 MIDI Keyboard

Discus and support Found incompatible device - Edirol PCR500 MIDI Keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For all the positive compatibility of Win 10 (all my recording studio hardware except the PCR500 is compatible) I have found one device that is not.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fireberd, Jul 25, 2015.

1. fireberd Win User

Found incompatible device - Edirol PCR500 MIDI Keyboard

For all the positive compatibility of Win 10 (all my recording studio hardware except the PCR500 is compatible) I have found one device that is not.

A user on the Cakewalk Sonar forum reported his Roland/Edirol PCR800 MIDI keyboard did not work in Win 10. I tried my PCR500 (basically the same, except less piano keys) and found it will not install and gets a Code 28.

I have the Roland Win 8.1 drivers and tried installing the drivers as is, and with Windows 8 compatibility mode and both result in Code 28 error in Device Manager. I tried installing the driver in a Windows 7 compatibility mode and the Roland installer aborted with Incompatible OS.

I'm OK as my recording studio production system is dual boot Win 7/Win 8.1. I plan on upgrading the 8.1 to Win 10 but when I need the PCR500 MIDI keyboard (infrequently) I can use the Win 7 system with my recording studio software (Sonar).

:)

fireberd, Jul 25, 2015

2. Windows 10 and USB MIDI conflict with Microsoft GS Wavetable synth

I'm using a MIDI sequencer (Forte3) on my laptop running windows 10. and am having trouble connecting it to my MIDI keyboard

Forte is a legacy (x86) software tool

I have connected my midi keyboard to the laptop using a USB to MIDI cable

The midi cable is recognized in Device Manager under Sound,Video and Game controllers as

USB 2.0 MIDI

General info

Sound, Video and Game controller

(Generic USB Audio)

Device status

This Device is working properly

In Forte I've selected USB 2.0 MIDI as my MIDI input/output device and when I test it (using the FORTE test function) it plays properly through my MIDI keyboard.

However when I start the sequencer playing a midi sequence, it plays through the Microsoft GS wavetable Synth and not the USB MIDI 2.0 device that was selected.

In earlier versions of windows this problem was fixed by selecting the USB device as the Default windows MIDI playback device.

I can't find anything that corresponds to this in windows 10.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

PaulKuklinski, Jul 25, 2015
  3. pat_m_o Win User
    midi keyboard midiplus i61 not sending midi info to any program. windows 10

I recently bought a midi keyboard to get back into piano. The problem is that even though the keyboard is recognized by my computer as i61, as a usb audio device, it won't send any midi input into any midi program I have tried (Anvil studio, midi editor,
    midi piano and simple piano). One program (anvil studio) says that it is getting an unknown error from my keyboard (very useful /s). The keyboard works on other computers (Mac w/ garageband and HP windows 8.1 w/ simple piano) but I've had no luck on mine.
    I'm using an inspiron 13 5378 with windows 10.

pat_m_o, Jul 25, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

That's not good. I'm now wondering about my very basic Akai keyboard...
    Might be worth reporting it in the Feedback app, if you haven't already (or looking for someone else's report and 'up-voting').

DavidY, Jul 25, 2015
  5. Try extracting the installation files (7-Zip) to a new folder
    Launch Device Manager
    Update driver - select look on my computer (or have disk) and point it to the extracted install files.

Who knows, it might work *Wink

I also saw that there is a SMF update available, but I don't think that's the issue since it gets installed to the keyboard through midi.
    The link for that update is dead anyway on Roland.

Definitely feed MS the information, it is probably an oversight since instrument keyboards aren't as high priority as other devices.

But the 8.1 driver 'should' work on Win10 !

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2015
  6. fireberd Win User
    I tried the "update driver" from the Device Manager and it didn't find any driver. As two of us have the same problem, its either Win 10 or a different driver is needed. Roland discontinued the Edirol product line a couple of years ago so I doubt that any new drivers will be forthcoming. (Reason I have the Edirol PCR 500 keyboard, Guitar Center was the sole company to liquidate Edirol keyboards and was "blowing out" the Edirol's at very deep discount prices).

I'll post the problem.

fireberd, Jul 25, 2015
  7. fireberd Win User
    Update. Roland has updated some device drivers and made them "plug and play" in Win 10. However, there are many devices that have not had drivers updated for 10, including their "flagship" recording interface unit the Studio-Capture.

The old (discontinued) PCR MIDI Keyboard line, as it appears, will not be supported in Win 10.

However, a hack has been posted on the Cakewalk Sonar Forum to the Windows 8.1 drivers .inf file allows SOME devices to be installed and work in Windows 10. The hack works on my Studio-Capture and on my PCR-500 MIDI Keyboard. The hack may work for other Roland devices but NO GUARANTEE.

Here is the link to the forum thread on the Cakewalk Sonar forum. The hack instructions are near the end of thread.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Who-switch...-m3255186.aspx

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Found incompatible device - Edirol PCR500 MIDI Keyboard - Similar Threads - Found incompatible device

2. MIDI devices keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MIDI devices keep disappearing: Hello all, I've been having this problem on-again and off-again for a little while now, and I actually did get it to stop for a while... only for it to happen again. As the subject indicates, my problem is this: Out of nowhere, all but one MIDI device will just disappear....
  3. USB problems with MIDI keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB problems with MIDI keyboard: [ATTACH] Hi, first sorry for my english but it's not my first language, I tried everything you all are my only hope. I built a pc in January. These are the specs: MB: Asus Prime B550M-A (Wi-Fi) CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1030 RAM: 2x16GB ddr4 3600Mhz...
  4. MIDI Keyboard Not Working Properly

MIDI Keyboard Not Working Properly: Hi! I have 2 MIDI keyboards, both class compliant. When I plug them in, Windows says its setting it up and both keyboards appear in Device Manager under Sound Control. Says the correct, up to date drivers are installed. However, neither shows up in any DAW or even in the...
  5. Midi device not detected

Midi device not detected: I just bought a brand new laptop, when I connect my midi device and check on Device Manager, it was listed in all it suppose to, audio input, sound, video and game, except software devices, so everytime I start DAW, it can't connect to device, "no midi input device", so I...
  6. MIDI keyboard functions

MIDI keyboard functions: I have tried using 2 Midi keyboards on my computer running Windows 10 and neither of them has been able to communicate with my DAW. The keyboard doesn't work on one computer but does on other computers. I looked at the control panel on both computers and noticed that the...
  7. USB midi device issue

USB midi device issue: I am having big issues with my new Asus M409DA running W10. I bought an MAudio Midisport Uno to connect and edit an amp that has midi but i keep getting the dreaded yellow triangle with an exclamation. It connects fine to my daughters Zenbook and installs into sound, video...
  8. Midi keyboard randomly disconnecting

Midi keyboard randomly disconnecting: Ok so I am sure this problem has been "solved" at least a billion times, but seriously, nothing is working for me. I went from using my Toshiba Protege Z20t perfectly fine with my midi keyboard using a using a USB type B to to type A, but the moment I try to use it on my new...
  9. MIDI devices not working properly

MIDI devices not working properly: I just started having problems with my MIDI devices about a week ago. At a certain point they just disconnect from Windows, and only work again when I restart my computer. It's not a software problem, because it happens in different programs, and it's not a problem with the...
  10. MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10

MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920. Disclaimer: I am no computer Guru, but I can read and follow instructions, so here's the story: I've recently gotten more into composing and making music, and decided to purchase a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard I got is a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pcr500 w8