Windows 10: fps cap with in game limiter, RTSS and Nvidia control panel

Discus and support fps cap with in game limiter, RTSS and Nvidia control panel in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi ,I have 2 questions 1.can limiting fps hurt a gpu?i know its a silly question but i need to prove it to someone 2.which one of frame limit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mian1799, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Mian1799 Win User

fps cap with in game limiter, RTSS and Nvidia control panel

Hi ,I have 2 questions

1.can limiting fps hurt a gpu?i know its a silly question but i need to prove it to someone

2.which one of frame limit options is better ? i usually use RTSS or in game limiter if exists but one time i used Nvidia frame limiter in control panel and i saw my gpu core clock came down to 1200 normally it's 1875but performance was like usual and i thought it might be bad for gpu and stopped using it

:)

Mian1799, Feb 20, 2021
  2. Skyrow Win User

Most Fullscreen Games Capped at 60 FPS

Hi,

The problem is that If the game is in windowed mode, it reaches 144 fps, but in fullscreen it can't get over 60 fps.

- Not due to a hardware limit

- Any fps limit disabled in games.

- V-sync disabled in games and in nvidia control panel.

- Re-installed graphics drivers.

- Tried disabling fullscreen optimizations on the .exe of games.

- Disabled gameDVR in settings and in registry editor.

After this, I've tested some games.

these ones are not capped at 60fps in fullscreen :

- Steep (edit : tested it in borderless, not fullscreen)

- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon WIldlands

these other ones are capped at 60fps in fullscreen :

- Sea Of Thieves

- The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

- Fortnite

- Prey

- Far Cry 5

- Steep

I'm running with Windows 10 Family, version 1803, on 64 bits OS.

And I'm using multi-monitor so my main one is a 144Hz and the second a 60Hz, but I didn't set them up in surround mode.

Any Idea of what causes this ?

Skyrow, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Skyrow Win User
    Most Fullscreen Games Capped at 60 FPS

"Are you trying to match the games frame rates with the monitors 144Hz refresh rate, or are the fps just coincidental ?

What graphics processor does you machine use ?"

No I'm not, I want my fps to be capped at 144fps and not 60. My GPU is the GTX 1080.

For exemple on Sea Of Thieves, in windowed my gpu load is at 100% and i have 110-120 fps, when I change it in fullscreen, the load goes down to 50% and I have 60 fps.

It's doing exactly the same with Steep : in windowed 140-170fps at 100% load, and in fullscreen 60 fps at 40% load.

I'm completely sure that V-sync is disabled in the game in fullscreen, and in the control panel of Nvidia, and enabling it won't fix the thing.

"- Running Steep in Fullscreen mode @2480x1440 resolution with the eye candy

...Windowed mode runs in the same range as it does at 1440p."

I run every games @1920x1080p, and the 8GB VRAM are never fully loaded.

It's most likely a software limit rather than a hardware one, but I can't figure it out since I've done everything I could do.

Skyrow, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Games capped at 60 fps

Hi Alvin Gao,

Graphics cards are responsible for managing frame rates in terms of gaming and other GPU-intensive tasks. Some graphics cards have settings that caps the FPS, therefore, the best that I could suggest is to check your graphics card's global settings panel
    to modify, or even remove the capping. Please refer to your GPU manufacturer's website for further assistance with changing the settings.

If you need additional advice related to Windows, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Mark Isi, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

1. fps cap with in game limiter, RTSS and Nvidia control panel - Similar Threads - fps cap game

2. Nvidia control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia control panel: So in the nvidia control panel in the manage display mode I changed it to nvidia gpu only but i want to change to auto select and now it won't let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-control-panel/e41b6bb4-942a-403b-96a5-b05da0cd1afc
  3. Nvidia control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nvidia control panel: So in the nvidia control panel in the manage display mode I changed it to nvidia gpu only but i want to change to auto select and now it won't let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-control-panel/e41b6bb4-942a-403b-96a5-b05da0cd1afc
  4. nvidia control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvidia control panel: Nvidia doesn't show the display section on control panel. I'm on a laptop and I'm trying to use nvidia control panel to change my resolution.I'm using a laptop with two gpus: a geforce rtx 3060 and amd radeon graphics....
  5. nvidia control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    nvidia control panel: Nvidia doesn't show the display section on control panel. I'm on a laptop and I'm trying to use nvidia control panel to change my resolution.I'm using a laptop with two gpus: a geforce rtx 3060 and amd radeon graphics....
  6. No nVidia Control panel

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No nVidia Control panel: Just bought a 1650 Super. Tried to install drivers. Complains not compatible with my version of Windows (1809, 17763.1), Only the DCH drive will install (after booting to safe mode and using DDU to first uninstall the driver that wouldn't install anyway). Problem with DCH is...
  7. NVIDIA Control Panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVIDIA Control Panel: Hi, I can't access to NVIDA Control Panel in my laptop. When I double click to NVIDIA Control Panel Icon in Control Home Panel. I get this message ( You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDA GPU ) Please advice how to activate. Thanks....
  8. Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel): Hi there I would really appreciate it if someone could lend me a hand with trying to tackle this problem I have. Yesterday I reset my laptop because I was wanting to get it fresh and clean for college and get rid of all the apps and such that came with it as I purchased it...
  9. Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel)

in Windows 10 Support
    Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel): Hi there I would really appreciate it if someone could lend me a hand with trying to tackle this problem I have. Yesterday I reset my laptop because I was wanting to get it fresh and clean for college and get rid of all the apps and such that came with it as I purchased it...
  10. Game FPS capped at 60

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game FPS capped at 60: So I'm pretty sure this started happening after the Creator's update. I can't get more than 60 FPS in the games I play (League of Legends, Overwatch). Before I was constantly getting 100+. VSync is off, frame limit is uncapped in both game. Using latest NVidia drivers,...